Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My Vulcan 800 has the cvk g200 carb on it. Im pretty sure its a 97 or 98 model. i hadnt had for long. anyway here is my problem, let me know if you know how to fix this. Thank you

The bike was running fine for 3 months. it got rained on (but that might not have anything to do with problem). The next time i rode it, the bike cranked fine with choke on. the minute i touch the throttle, the carb sounds like its sucking air really hard and the bike shuts off. as long as i dont touch the throttle and leave the choke on everything is good. what could be causing this. If you know, please explain and if you have any pictures that can help fix this problem, please email me. thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
159 Posts
carb problems

Its not getting enough fuel. Thats why it runs with the choke on. When you hit the throttle, the engine asks for more fuel. Since its starving for fuel, it dies. You may have a bad accellerator pump in the carb, water in the gas, a float that is not adjusted properly, a restriction in one of the jets of the carb, It dont take much dirt to clog a venturi in a carb. Have you tried some carb cleaner in the fuel tank? I dont believe in additives but it just may help you. Take off the air cleaner and twist the throttle while looking into the throat of the carb. You should see a squirt of fuel into the carb when you twist the throttle. Thats the accellerator pump. If you dont, and your carb has one, its not working. That would make it stall when you accellerate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i noticed the other day that yes i have that in my carb, when i throttle my bike, a thin stream of gas shoots in the carb. as far as additives goes, i have not added any as of yet. so if its shooting the gas in properly u would think its getting enough gas wouldnt you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
vulcan carb

Hi:
You may have water in your gas. If you have water in the bowl of the carb, sometimes it will idle on the gas that comes into the bowl from the tank but stays on the surface of the bowl with water underneath it. when you crack the throttle, you ask for more fuel and the clean gas gets sucked in along with some water from the bottom of the bowl. Just a theory. Ive seen it happen to carbs. Drain the bowl then try to run it. If it runs, drain the tank and fill it with clean gas and some gas line anti freeze. Not too much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys, i will try to figure out how to get the bowl off this next week, i have never taken a carb off a bike, however i have done some work on them before so i should be ok, ill make sure to take pics as i go, that way i know how to put it back lol, have a good one.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
just drain the bowls into a clear container. the water will settle to the bottom. that way your not having to remove anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link man, great site. does the whole carb need to come off to drain bowl or can it be done on the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sheww

Ok, last night i took my carb off. i dont think i had to just empty the bowl but i took it off anyway. Wow are those throttle cables a pain in the ****. ok, after i got the carb off, i took the 4 screws holding the lower housing off the carb and drained what liquid was in the carb into a glass jar. i would say that there was probably15 to 20 % water mixed in the gas. i guess this was the problem, what do you guys think. also, is there anything i need to do when i put gas back in the bike, like will it fill the bowl back up on its own or what. Thanks.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
more than likely this is a vacumn operated petcok so it will only allow fuel to flow when the motor is cranking unless its got a PRIME setting. if it has ON , RESV, PRIME then put the new gas in the tank, set the petcok to PRIME for a minute or two and crank away. should fire right off.
if it doesnt have a prime position and it only has a fuel line running to it (vacumn petcoks will have 2 lines, one for fuel and one from the carbs for vacumn) then it should be setup with ON OFF RESV. it will flow on any setting other than off if its not vacumn operated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts