Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 KX250 with scuffed piston. Is it possible to hone the cylinder. I know it can't be bored out because it is elctro-fused... Has anyone tried honing these and reringing the piston?

·
Registered
407 Posts
1987 KX250 with scuffed piston. Is it possible to hone the cylinder. I know it can't be bored out because it is elctro-fused... Has anyone tried honing these and reringing the piston?
This subject has been up for debate with different opinions. Some say do and some say don't. My personal opinion is do not hone Nikasil, Nicom, plated cylinders. The whole idea behing plated cylinders is to more efficiently pass heat from the piston rings to the cyl. The secondary function of plating is it "holds" oil lubricants to the cyl walls for better piston lubrication. You go ball honeing and scuffing up a plated cyl, now you have destroyed the finish. If you can feel scuffs with your fingernail, that usually means you need repair work, and a re-plate. (again just my opinion, other people I have read comments they think nothing of running a serious hone job through a plated cyl. )

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Without more details and some pictures, the following is me guessing blindly at your specific situation.

Coatings and platings are very thin and very hard. A ball hone won't do much. A diamond hone is used during the processes.

I'll assume you are trying to get by on the cheap for some cylinder wall damage. Without some clear, detailed pictures, it is hard to guess blindly at why you ask. If it is damaged, almost always a replate is necessary. It is usually around $200 - $225 including shipping for a worn bore. A gouged bore requiring repair work drives the cost up. Usually, a new piston is sent along to get the measurements exact. Therefore, add in the cost of a new piston, rings, circlips, piston pin, small end bearing, various gaskets and fresh coolant.

If you are like most people who post on here with such questions, I must say that you are looking at $350 - $400 to make it right.

Congratulations on having a 1987 KX250. I am looking to buy one, myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This subject has been up for debate with different opinions. Some say do and some say don't. My personal opinion is do not hone Nikasil, Nicom, plated cylinders. The whole idea behing plated cylinders is to more efficiently pass heat from the piston rings to the cyl. The secondary function of plating is it "holds" oil lubricants to the cyl walls for better piston lubrication. You go ball honeing and scuffing up a plated cyl, now you have destroyed the finish. If you can feel scuffs with your fingernail, that usually means you need repair work, and a re-plate. (again just my opinion, other people I have read comments they think nothing of running a serious hone job through a plated cyl. )
dont hone just use a scotch brite pad the get the glaze of the bore in a criss cross pattern,thats all ive ever done and when i got to do the top ends never any sign of blow by

1 - 4 of 4 Posts