Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the spark plug stopped firing on my #3 cylinder. new spark plugs put in. still not firing. what other options should I now take. my motorcycle is a 1982 CSR650. appreciate any help with direction.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Good compression? (need at least 120 PSI to run well) Sparkplug cap good(they fail due to the resistor opening up)Good fuel delivery?(Sparkplug wet?) Checked valve clearances?(a tight valve lets compression out). Tried changing the sparkplug connection at the coil and see if the problem moves?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bike was running very well. put it away for the night. next morning ran rough. 3rd spark plug was fouled , black tip, wet from gas. new plug, not firing.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd check the sparkplug cap and where the sparkplug wires/high tension leads go to the coil(s). Caps can and do fail with no warning, as they have resistors inside designed to reduce the RFI (heard on radio's and t.v.'s as a snap or pop when the plugs fire). Over time, heat and vibration cause them to quit working and replacing them is the only way to fix this problem(if this is it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts