Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 94 kz1000p-13, am trying to find the cylinder numbering.
As I sit on it left to right????
right to left????
not in any of my manuals:icon_frow
Mike

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
As you sit on the seat, the numbering will be left to right, #1,#2,#3, and #4.

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) got to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

Keep in mind that the smaller 4’s (650 & 750) may have the wiring reversed, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's weird! My '82 KZ750LTD has red and black on both coils! Runs fine though. I thought maybe someone rewired the left leads but they look stock. Go figure!

By the way, the red wires go on the upper terminal...right?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
My understanding is the ignition coils have no polarity, so it should make no difference as to where the terminals connect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts