Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time I have had to rebuild the '99 KX250 in the last 3 months. I opened up her up...it's not the low end..the guy ( High Performance Racing in IL) who I had machine it must have machined it wrong because the rings were hitting on the side ports. So there are scars running down the lowest part of the cylinder. So I'm going to have to rebuild it again. Does anyone know how well sleeves work? How do they work? How are they installed? Are the a generic size and then you have them bored down? Any specific brand? Is this the right way to go? I'm running on a really low budget. Let me know all the details on sleeves please! Thanks guys!

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Sleeve's are relatively expensive, especially if you decide to get them coated with nickasil. I just got mine re'sleeved with a new top end kit and it came out to $300(that's without being coated, I didn't bother getting it coated). Sleeves work great, it's pretty much a new cylinder, but much less. It's just a new piece of inside put in the cylinder, welded in or something. You can get them honed back to OEM size, or bored over. I'd start at the regular 249cc. I think wiseco makes sleeves. I'd go for those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sleeve's are relatively expensive, especially if you decide to get them coated with nickasil. I just got mine re'sleeved with a new top end kit and it came out to $300(that's without being coated, I didn't bother getting it coated). Sleeves work great, it's pretty much a new cylinder, but much less. It's just a new piece of inside put in the cylinder, welded in or something. You can get them honed back to OEM size, or bored over. I'd start at the regular 249cc. I think wiseco makes sleeves. I'd go for those.
Yea I payed about $500 with the work and piston and put it back together myself and it blew out. Well $300 isn't that bad compared to what I payer before. If my cylinder has some scars in it will they just hone it down and then put the sleeve in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts