Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad Stored his bike with very little untreated fuel in it. It started, ran rough, smoothed out. NHow it will not start. Did he foul the plugs or do something to the injectors. Please give me some suggestrions because I sold him the bike last spring and I'd hate to see it just sit

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Does turn over? No? Check battery.
Yes? Check plugs & fuel.
You need to provide more exact details to get good help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
likely injectors... fuel turns to varnish after sitting for a while. Try some fresh regular fuel (after the goofy math it is 87 octane for how they do it here in the USA... no need for premium) with some seafoam in it.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
This may be a silly question, but you said it was stored with "very little untreated fuel" in it. Is it possible that very little fuel ran out and you just need more gas?

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
It takes both fuel and spark to make fire.

First, check the simple stuff... kill switch, kickstand, etc..

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Because the bike has been stored for an extended period of time I would start by dumping the tank. If you get lots of crud I would rinse it out with some fresh gas, and maybe clean the fuel lines too. If it wasn’t that bad then just add half a tank of fresh petrol with 2X the prescribed amount of an injector cleaner of your choice. Once you get it going you can dilute the cleaner with more gas. Also put the battery on a charger to get it up to full strength.

Spark check… pull a plug wire, stick a screw driver in the end of the wire and get the shaft very close but not touching a grounded piece of the bike. Hold onto the plastic handle of the screwdriver so you don’t get shocked and press the start button. You should see a nice blue spark jump the gap. May as well pull the plug while you’re at it and take a look.

No spark would point to an electrical problem. As stated previously, start with the simple stuff. You would be surprised at how many posts I have seen where someone couldn’t get the bike to start because they accidentally hit the kill switch. Switches and connectors can also develop corrosion during an extended period without use.

If you have good spark (doesn’t rule out an electrical problem) then it’s time for a fuel check…. crank it a few times while holding the throttle open a bit. Then pull the air filter and see if you can smell fuel. If you don’t smell anything you may have a clogged/bad fuel pump or clogged injectors. Did you hear the pump spin up? That doesn’t mean it isn’t clogged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts