Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read much at the Delphi board about making the switch, and believe I understand finding the sweet spot with regard to air pressure and handling.
What I need help with is changing load.

If the sweet spot for me for regular riding is X, but I then choose to take a passenger at say, 200#, or a passenger and luggage at 300#, do I need to readjust the tire pressure, and then readjust after the ride?

Maybe I'm supposed to do this now with my MC tire, but I don't and handling seems fine.

Anyone have any real world experience to share?

Thanks

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Well for me on my 900 I adjust the preload on the shock if I am going to be carrying more weight. But for you, you would need a zero loss compressor for your shocks.

I don't have darkside experience like you asked, but I wouldn't think it would matter. Maybe it does? We'll see what the darksiders say.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
No difference in air pressure for me. It's been a few years though and I will never go back again. Unless you're going to be going straight most of the time then go ahead. And I mean touring. If you like the twisties you can kiss them good-bye.

just my .02

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
on any vehicle if you're increasing the load you need to increase the tyre pressure.

obviously it doesn't need to be done in most cars unless you're stuffing it to the brim with luggage etc.

but on the bike you need to adjust the preload on the shocks and the tyre pressure if carrying a passenger or extra luggage etc.
no clue about using a car tyre on a bike as i have my views regarding that (Which i won't post here)

but regarding a mmotorcycle on a motorcycle tyre, the owners handbook should tell you by how much you need to adjust your shock and tyre pressure... but that goes out of the window when you put anything other than the stock size tyres on.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Air pressure is more critical on a car tire but you're just talking about going up 2 pounds usually for the extra load and frankly, you should be checking everything before a trip anyways so it's no big deal

As far as twisties, I can't speak for Mumbles negative experience but I road the snot out of them down in Eureka Springs last year and have no complaints. Fact is, everyone except group leader was on a car tire in my group and he wasn't on one because he couldn't find one to fit his 800. I'm running and AltimaxHP on my 900LT and the Altimax is known for being an excellant handling tire. The 2000 in my group was running a Tripple tread.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I run the General Evertack HP 205/60-16 on my 2008 Nomad. 25,000 kms and the tire still looks new, at this rate I will get over 80,000 on the rear!!! That is saving $$$$$ on tires.
32 LBS of pressure solo, 34 riding 2 up.
As MrClean stated,.............no problems in the twisties. As a matter of fact I feel more comfortable leaning the now than I ever did with a MC tire.
I still have at least 4 inches of tire contact surface when my floor boards scrub.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run a 205/60-16 on a 2008 2000LT, I run 32 psi solo and two up, the bike handles better now than it did with the mc tire, I have 10,000 miles on the tire and it looks new, I ride the twisties all the time without any problems, in fact I feel like the tire holds better in the corners. I will never go back to a motorcycle tire on this bike, I do however, run motorcycle tires on all my other bikes. The 2000 is just too heavy for the original tire, I got sick of getting flats every 400 miles or so, I went to the goodyear TT and my problems are solved. The other thing that makes me feel good is the 1365 pound load capacity. So, to sum it up, the bike rides better, handles better and has better wet road traction, and the tire last a lot longer. Until you try it yourself, keep your opinions to yourself because that's all they are, useless opinions.

Mrfix

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
A car tire on a motorcycle?!! Preposterous!! :wink: :lol:

..I wish I knew of one that would fit my meanie without having to grind/modify anything.. :frown:

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
I run a 205/60-16 on a 2008 2000LT, I run 32 psi solo and two up, the bike handles better now than it did with the mc tire, I have 10,000 miles on the tire and it looks new, I ride the twisties all the time without any problems, in fact I feel like the tire holds better in the corners. I will never go back to a motorcycle tire on this bike, I do however, run motorcycle tires on all my other bikes. The 2000 is just too heavy for the original tire, I got sick of getting flats every 400 miles or so, I went to the goodyear TT and my problems are solved. The other thing that makes me feel good is the 1365 pound load capacity. So, to sum it up, the bike rides better, handles better and has better wet road traction, and the tire last a lot longer. Until you try it yourself, keep your opinions to yourself because that's all they are, useless opinions.

Mrfix
/\/\+1 word up.../\/\

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Running a 2006 V2K with a Goodyear Triple Tread I run one static pressure for solo or double (40 psi). I do check the pressure religiously before any ride.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The dark side

Mate, I'm following all this with great interest.
A bike with a cartyre looks like cojones!
On what kind of bike did you put that cartyre..?
Pherhaps it could be the type or brand..I´m just guessing..

Luke I'm your father..
It's useless to resist...
Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi Wan did....

No difference in air pressure for me. It's been a few years though and I will never go back again. Unless you're going to be going straight most of the time then go ahead. And I mean touring. If you like the twisties you can kiss them good-bye.

just my .02

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
at this rate I will get over 80,000 on the rear!!! That is saving $$$$$ on tires.
r u kiddin?
80000 miles?
130.000 km?

That's how often I'm supposed to change drive belt in my car I think... :shock:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the info!

My owners manual doesn't address tire pressures with, or without a passenger, but it does make sense that it might be good to up it slightly for a heavier load.

My concern was that if finding the sweet spot is so critical, changing the load would throw everything off.
As is, on the MC tire, leaving the pressure the same, 1 or 2 up feels safe.
Hearing it is the same, more or less and not a drastic difference with a CT. is the info I was after.
Thanks for the help!

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I'm not kidding!
The tire will get weathered before it wears out.
omg...
I had no idea the diff was that big! Suddenly the tire cost would be close to nothing. As it is now, I use up at least one set per season.
Someone mentioned there was no tire fitting the MS... too bad then. :icon_frow

·
1,175 Posts
omg...
I had no idea the diff was that big! Suddenly the tire cost would be close to nothing. As it is now, I use up at least one set per season.
Someone mentioned there was no tire fitting the MS... too bad then. :icon_frow
There is a forum member (12volts) that darksided his meanie. (thread link), but it required a bit of reworking on the swing arm with a torch, hammer, and grinder to prevent the tire from rubbing. I personally do not want to have to mod the swing arm like that in order to fit a tire on. As of yet, i've not seen anyone that has darksided a meanie with a tire that did not require modification such as mentioned.. ...but if someone did do it, i'd be quick to follow suite.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I personally do not want to have to mod the swing arm like that in order to fit a tire on. As of yet, i've not seen anyone that has darksided a meanie with a tire that did not require modification such as mentioned.. ...but if someone did do it, i'd be quick to follow suite.
I'm with you double up!

·
1,175 Posts
Hopefully the answer to this question isn't something completely simplistic that I'll feel like an idiot when the answer is given, but how do you figure out what car tire will and wont fit and cause errors with the speedo and such? (aside from rim size; i.e. 17inch rim)

For example, in his darksided meanie thread, 12volt said:
Yokohama makes a S-Drive 195/45/17 car tire that may fit without any mods. However Yokohama S-drive is considerably shorter in circumference, than even the 190/50/17mc or the 200/50/17mc. Therefore causing an even greater error in speedo accuracy. With the 205/50/17 CT that Im running my speedo still reads about 3-4mph fast.
How does one figure out circumference and all the pertinent stuff based on the tire sizing info to tell what would or wouldn't work on the bike? I dont really know anything about tire sizing numbers (les schwab figures that stuff out for me).. sorry if this is a dumb question.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts