Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Anytime I see one of those videos it just reminds me why I won't use a flat aspect tire on a motorcycle again............just my .02's folks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
man, it looks kinda scary when he goes into a turn... it comes mostly off the ground
Don't worry it is not scary, I posted another video on my KLX300 and some people would say riding that bike with that tire on the street is crazy... I think it is just me.

If you ever come thourgh Colorado let me know maybe you can see it first hand.

My Vulcan 2000 YouTube - Going over to the "Dark Side" on my Vulcan 2000

My KLX300 YouTube - Ride the KLX300 vs my Vulcan 2000 on the "Dark Side"

Not going to convert anyone just thought you would like to see what it looked like (that includes me) in action.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have to laugh at all this...'oh you're riding on the side' stuff. Think about it...the motorcycle tire is ROUND, you are riding on maybe 50c piece of rubber the WHOLE TIME! With a car tire, even on edge you are getting longer contact patch than motorcycle tire and when upright you are getting WAY MORE contact patch.

Oh well...I went dark and have love all the miles since I got her dialed in. No problems steering and no problems cornering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have to laugh at all this...'oh you're riding on the side' stuff. Think about it...the motorcycle tire is ROUND, you are riding on maybe 50c piece of rubber the WHOLE TIME! With a car tire, even on edge you are getting longer contact patch than motorcycle tire and when upright you are getting WAY MORE contact patch.

Oh well...I went dark and have love all the miles since I got her dialed in. No problems steering and no problems cornering.
You are also riding on a contact patch designed specifically for that purpose, often with softer, sticker rubber on the outer edges of the tire. When you need the tire most (outer portion), you have the least traction available with a car tire.

How do you think you are you getting a longer contact patch on edge than a motorcycle tire?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Still not as soft as a Car Tire according to Durometer readings and thanks to correct pressure setting still almost twice as thick as motorcycle tires stock contact patch, unless of course it's a well used MC tire which has that large flat spot on it that you can actually feel yourself going over the side of onto that special, stickier part of the tire you mention on dual compound tires. You seem to miss the fact that we've had MC tires on, plenty of them, and we wore them out plenty. A bunch on the center but plenty on the edges as well. Then we changed over to a Car Tire after being told we'll crash and burn and tentatively leaned over for a while until we were on the pegs and then in wonderment, we did it some more and we did it hard and we did it in the rain and we did it in the snow and we did it through gravel and dirt and whatnot and then we started wondering just what side of the bowl you 'Experts' with your special motorcycle tire,rubber, shape, physics, boca boca bullcrap were eating your oats out of CUZZ IT JUST AIN'T HAPPENING.

We generally put it down to folks that mean well but are just ignorant of the fact that not only does it work, it works better.

Why don't the manufacturers have them on the bike when they come from the shop? Because the ignorant masses that mean well will tell everyone they will crash and burn if they don't have a Formula 1 tire on their bike and there will be tons of folks that will listen to those that mean well but have no clue. And tire manufacturers will look at all the OEM only tires and say 'Screw it' we will sell them direct and cut the dealer out of another percent if you let the cat out of the bag.

Meanwhile, those of us running on 6 inches of tire straight up and 2-3 inches when over on the side will still be going down the road and tearing up the twistees.

You see, 2 years ago I was in this spot, asking the same questions, can it be done on a 900? What should I use? I'll bust my what? I had guys telling me they were doing it. I had a web-page telling me how to do it and that it can be done and a list of all the bad things that will happen from folks that never had tried it before because they 'knew better'. A year and a half and nearly 19 thousand miles ago I made the switch anyways. The naysayers with all their extrapolated physics and Piled Higher and Deepers and their insurance this and dealer thats were just wrong. Pure and simple, wrong. And they don't like and just flat out WON'T admit it. It's actually funny watching someone watch you ride away or doing peg scraping circles in the parking lot when they know, not think mind you, KNOW it's impossible. Then I park the bike or see them again and they just spout the same lines 'It can't work'. I'm told Orville and Wilbur had a bunch of the same response. 'It can't work, mans not supposed to fly' but here they were up and doing it.

I will force no person to use a Car Tire on their bike. Some bikes have too narrow of a rim anyways. Other bikes like the Ninjas lean over too far and probably would make the tire go over the edge. But most cruisers and definitely the Vulcan class here with the wider rims and low lean angle work wonderfully well on a Car Tire. You won't go wrong with a stock tire. If you don't ride enough miles in 4 years to wear out a Car Tire, stick with stock. Don't want your tires rotting out from under you. I'm ordering my next car tire this week so I can have it ready in the middle of the winter when I project this tire will be worn out. It will be a factor in the purchase of my next bike.

If it's not for you then that's fine with me. But quit it with the long extrapolations of why it won't work because it does. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Stubborn is the un-willingness to learn.

Lotta Stubborn people holding the ignorant back and that's just stupid.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
always. this subject and oil------everybody loves to argue.
Winter IS just getting started. Gotta keep the fingers warm somehow they haven't re-stocked the regulators for my electric gloves yet.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Winter IS just getting started. Gotta keep the fingers warm somehow they haven't re-stocked the regulators for my electric gloves yet.

Too true....LOL.

Wish I could find electric gloves----can't find any big enough for my 5XL hands.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Mr Clean.......you forgot to mention that Christopher Columbus was gonna sail off the edge of the earth cause the earth was DEFINITELY FLAT :eek:

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
No judgments here ... just innocent questions ----

how low is that tire pressure on the dark side tire to get it to flex like that? What are you guys using?

·
Registered
766 Posts
The video is not mine....I have no idea what he is running, but 34 on mine just 'feels' right. If you check the link that I posted you'll find that guys run them all over the place depending on size/weight of bike, rider, passenger, make and width/size of tire and riding style. The GENERALLY accepted rule seems to be to drop pressure til it gets a little bit squirrelly, then add a pound or 2 and call it good.

Lots of info here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The video is not mine....I have no idea what he is running, but 34 on mine just 'feels' right. If you check the link that I posted you'll find that guys run them all over the place depending on size/weight of bike, rider, passenger, make and width/size of tire and riding style. The GENERALLY accepted rule seems to be to drop pressure til it gets a little bit squirrelly, then add a pound or 2 and call it good.

Lots of info here:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/?
Pass....... and Pass. Those car tires wear longer because it's a harder compound. If you want grip from ONE tire would you take a soft or hard compound tire? The more weight on a tire the more friction there is between pavement and the bike. My V2K weighs over 1000lbs with me on it so I expect that a soft "grippy" tire will wear fast. Put those tires on a 400-500 lb bike and it's gonna last alot longer. You still need the same grip regardless of overall mileage wear.

Or maybe there's a 40-50 year motorcycle tire conspiracy.........and maybe NASA really didn't land on the moon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts