Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I went to the Darkside and put a Car Tire on my 900LT. While I didn't have any problems with the swap I did have one dis-appointment. I was running a tube in my tire so if I got a puncture I would have to pull the tire and patch or swap the tube OR hope that I could limp in with the little Slime compressor I pack along with me. I've had to do that with my front tire and it's a PAIN and just a tad nerve rattling having a tire with a nail in it.

So remembering that FLVulcan was selling the OEM rim from his Custom last year I contacted him earlier this year and found out he DID still have the rim. Well it didn't take long for it to show up at my house. And with the exception of the blanket that he wrapped it in for shipping, it's been sitting in my garage for most of the year. The blanket I caught one of my dogs heading out the door with just after I unpacked it so I washed it to get any grease off of it, folded it and set it on their doggy bed. So my DOGS are quite happy with that part of the deal.

Longevity? I've got 18,500 miles on the General Altimax 195/65-15 HP tire that I put on last year. It's not worn out but it's close. I probably have another couple thousand that I could put on the tire but I knew I was putting a trailer hitch on and I figured why not do it all at once. It also gives me a wheel that I can load to a local biker that is due a rear replacement and is short on funds. He can see how it handles without making any more commitment than riding over to my house and doing much of the work to swap it around. Once again, a picture of my bike and the parts, and my bike on the Sears jack which makes it really convenient to move around in the garage.

Now because I was installing the Hitch I had to take the fender off. Not really much work to do though because I have an LT you have to take the bags off (I have Ghost Brackets), the Luggage Rack(CWI aftermarket) and the Sissybar and supports then the fender. You get a neat O view of the tire and kind of an idea of what a bobber might look like, hmmmmm. Probably just ticked someone off because evidently there are clear and hardcut rules to what determines what a bobber is. We'll not debate that, just look at the pics.

Now I hadn't mentioned it before but instead of doing it all myself this time I took it to my dealer. WHY?? Well my dealer had done one other tire and it kinda slipped out. They were a little worried about it. All that crash and burn stuff. So I showed up with the 18,000 miles of no crashin and burning and convinced them to use my tire as a second test for them and they agreed. So it cost me 50 bucks and tax to help blaze the way. They couldn't balance the tire for me. They found out about midyear that because the 900 Custom tire is basically a solid rim, there wasn't any place for their balancer to reach through and grab the tire. They have a guy building them an attachment but quite frankly they had forgot about it and my coming in reminded them. If he got the bracket fabricated they would have balanced my tire for free while trying it out. As I had other things coming in the mail I told them that it depends on which got here first. My Dynabeads, Hitch and oil seal or there attachment. I won.

So I brought the wheel home, put the oil seal on that was missing and installed the DynaBeads. Side note here. I have heard and witnessed DynaBeads sticking in the valve stem when you pour them in too fast. But having done this several times and hearing of ALL kinds of methods to clear the blockage, let me tell you how to do it. They give you a little bottle and a clear piece of tubing to install the beads with. Put the tubing on the valve stem, push the bottle firmly onto the tubing and pour the beads slowly into the tire. When a blockage occurs, and it will, tip the bottom of the bottle down and squeeze and release the bottle pumping and sucking air from the tire into the hose. The beads will just jump right down the valve stem. It takes a couple minutes to add 3 ounces of beads for the large tire.

Picture of the old and new wheels before the swap.

And a side by side of the old busted and the new hotness.

Now as another side. I had heard horror stories about the aftermarket Scootworks pulley coming loose and eating out the output shaft. I have heard horror stories about how I'm going to overload the motor, cause millions of dollars of damage and be the soul cause of global warming. It's all whooie but I was wondering if I had torqued the pulley nut down 2 years ago in October when I put the thing on. With the bike up on the lift and a comfortable seat and the rear tire off so the belt was loose anyways, I figured why not check. As I'm going to a trailer and I heard about how much better the bike would be without the pulley I went ahead and put the old OEM pulley back on. Took an extra half hour? Would have been quicker but I had to put the new wheel on and pull it back and put the brake back on so I could use the brake to hold everything still while I torqued the nut off. 2 foot breakover bar and the nut comes right off for a monkey man like myself. Of course when I went to put the brakes on I noticed that the pads had about 2 pieces of papers thickness of pad left. Oh, THAT where that squeak was coming from. I had new pads hangin on the wall waiting for this moment so on they went too.

So, put it all back together and I have a new tire, new brakes old OEM output pulley and a trailer hitch on my bike. Not bad for a weekends work. Pics while it's nekked.

And one up under the fender that I just think looks cool

Now I rode it to work yesterday to make sure I didn't have any clearance problems and I was going to ride it today, but it was just COLD this morning. I had boxes and bottled water to bring in this morning AND I wussed out. With everything shipped off I'll ride it more tomorrow. I started this wheel at 34 psi instead of the 40 thats recomended to newcomers to the darkside. 32-34 feels good on a broken in tire and I spent FAR too much time at 40 psi last time. I liked how it felt and didn't really think about it till I noticed the center was really worn while the outsides still look new. I think I can get even more mileage out of the new tire. As is I got about 3 tires worth of wear out of this one as is. Not bad for a 75 dollar tire that has better traction and feels the same or better than the Metzler I took off.

Now with the OEM Custom rear wheel on the bike I am tubeless and can put a plug kit in the bike so that if I get something in the center I can just plug and go, patch it when I get in to a shop.

Life, is sweet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That looks good. I might have missed your post, but did you say what kind of hitch you put on? custom fabrication or purchased from...?

All them photos are great.

Thanks for sharing all your info and experiences.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
That looks great Mr.clean.I envy you man! Your always coming up with something to do to that bike.Mine is covered up,cleaned up and put up for a while.We have sooo much salt down here I would be afraid to turn a corner and slide on my arss.Even the street in front of my house is pelted and they hardly ever do that in my neighborhood.Someday Im going to have to head your way and go riding.Since we have the same bike I want to see all the stuff you have added.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Excellent, dude! Looking forward to your trailer purchase and the ensuing narrative.

Like you, I'm lovin' my Altimax and wouldn't trade it for any other tire. And, also like you, I've somehow managed not to bust my a$$ over the last 14,000 or so miles...go figure! 8)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Now REALLY, Would you expect anything then Mr Clean has put on the forum??

He IS MR CLEAN for a reason don't Ya know?:)

Great post, I have this one bookmarkked for future use. :)

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Lookin good. I thought about the wheel off a custom, but didn't want to shell out the bucks for one. My homemade trailer hitch worked fine last summer with a HF Tag-along trailer. It does cut down on your gas mileage, but not too bad. Ya have to remember to think ahead when you go to park the rig. Don't want to park on a hill that you would have to back up to leave. Very difficult to back a trailer unless you have gargantuan leg muscles.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was one on ebay a couple days ago looking for about 100 bucks. It's a chunk but I suppose I could always sell the other one.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Mr C, you're my hero!! I wanna be just like you when I grow up. Well done, and thanks for the pics. A guy at work is thinking of going darkside, he'd be really interested.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Nice post William...I love your humor to defray possible detractors. The only thing I have to complain about is that **** Photobucket...I detest their little pop-over-the-picture-I'm-lookin-at ads! LOL!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How are things compared to the scootworks now? Will you go back to scootworks or do you like it much better stock. We also need a write up how she pulls a trailer. I'll be waiting.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I let it rap up a bit more. It was nasty yesterday riding home and in the morning I'm just sittin on the ride till we get to work. I'll keep an eye on the temps tomorrow and hopefully take it in the next two days to get some more time on it. I was doing 85 on the way home, which of course is 77 or so and turning over 4 grand. Letting it rev up is ok it can handle it, but I'm already irritated trying to figure out how fast is what, just like before. Easing out on the clutch is maybe easier when in first just because it's so much lower but you need to get out BUT I notice needing less fuel intensity being fed by the Bully when at 45-55 mph, but then again the engine is revving quite a bit higher. Don't know if it's going to get better or worse MPG.

I was looking out the window today and a silly Con-Way truck jerked to a stop in the intersection outside my house and backed up to the stop sign. I figured 'Dude, if you're already there go ahead and turn' but he just put his flashers on and started studying paperwork. Then I figured he probably was the only trucker out there who didn't have a GPS OR someone with a sense of humor like the ones who would send him down the Dragon, programed it for him. Then he got out and came to the front door. My son told me he was in charge and I should go about my bizzness. It would appear that somebody read the sheets I put on the Fridge and that box is WAY to big and flat for a 2.5 gallon compressor, which would explain why there is a Fed Ex slip on the door Friday for re-delivery, so my 1 gallon downstairs that doesn't start half the time and isn't up to the job when it does might just be in for relief too.

In short, give me two weeks I think I can oblige ya!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last year I went to the Darkside and put a Car Tire on my 900LT. While I didn't have any problems with the swap I did have one dis-appointment. I was running a tube in my tire so if I got a puncture I would have to pull the tire and patch or swap the tube OR hope that I could limp in with the little Slime compressor I pack along with me. I've had to do that with my front tire and it's a PAIN and just a tad nerve rattling having a tire with a nail in it.

So remembering that FLVulcan was selling the OEM rim from his Custom last year I contacted him earlier this year and found out he DID still have the rim. Well it didn't take long for it to show up at my house. And with the exception of the blanket that he wrapped it in for shipping, it's been sitting in my garage for most of the year. The blanket I caught one of my dogs heading out the door with just after I unpacked it so I washed it to get any grease off of it, folded it and set it on their doggy bed. So my DOGS are quite happy with that part of the deal.

Longevity? I've got 18,500 miles on the General Altimax 195/65-15 HP tire that I put on last year. It's not worn out but it's close. I probably have another couple thousand that I could put on the tire but I knew I was putting a trailer hitch on and I figured why not do it all at once. It also gives me a wheel that I can load to a local biker that is due a rear replacement and is short on funds. He can see how it handles without making any more commitment than riding over to my house and doing much of the work to swap it around. Once again, a picture of my bike and the parts, and my bike on the Sears jack which makes it really convenient to move around in the garage.

Now because I was installing the Hitch I had to take the fender off. Not really much work to do though because I have an LT you have to take the bags off (I have Ghost Brackets), the Luggage Rack(CWI aftermarket) and the Sissybar and supports then the fender. You get a neat O view of the tire and kind of an idea of what a bobber might look like, hmmmmm. Probably just ticked someone off because evidently there are clear and hardcut rules to what determines what a bobber is. We'll not debate that, just look at the pics.

Now I hadn't mentioned it before but instead of doing it all myself this time I took it to my dealer. WHY?? Well my dealer had done one other tire and it kinda slipped out. They were a little worried about it. All that crash and burn stuff. So I showed up with the 18,000 miles of no crashin and burning and convinced them to use my tire as a second test for them and they agreed. So it cost me 50 bucks and tax to help blaze the way. They couldn't balance the tire for me. They found out about midyear that because the 900 Custom tire is basically a solid rim, there wasn't any place for their balancer to reach through and grab the tire. They have a guy building them an attachment but quite frankly they had forgot about it and my coming in reminded them. If he got the bracket fabricated they would have balanced my tire for free while trying it out. As I had other things coming in the mail I told them that it depends on which got here first. My Dynabeads, Hitch and oil seal or there attachment. I won.

So I brought the wheel home, put the oil seal on that was missing and installed the DynaBeads. Side note here. I have heard and witnessed DynaBeads sticking in the valve stem when you pour them in too fast. But having done this several times and hearing of ALL kinds of methods to clear the blockage, let me tell you how to do it. They give you a little bottle and a clear piece of tubing to install the beads with. Put the tubing on the valve stem, push the bottle firmly onto the tubing and pour the beads slowly into the tire. When a blockage occurs, and it will, tip the bottom of the bottle down and squeeze and release the bottle pumping and sucking air from the tire into the hose. The beads will just jump right down the valve stem. It takes a couple minutes to add 3 ounces of beads for the large tire.

Picture of the old and new wheels before the swap.

And a side by side of the old busted and the new hotness.

Now as another side. I had heard horror stories about the aftermarket Scootworks pulley coming loose and eating out the output shaft. I have heard horror stories about how I'm going to overload the motor, cause millions of dollars of damage and be the soul cause of global warming. It's all whooie but I was wondering if I had torqued the pulley nut down 2 years ago in October when I put the thing on. With the bike up on the lift and a comfortable seat and the rear tire off so the belt was loose anyways, I figured why not check. As I'm going to a trailer and I heard about how much better the bike would be without the pulley I went ahead and put the old OEM pulley back on. Took an extra half hour? Would have been quicker but I had to put the new wheel on and pull it back and put the brake back on so I could use the brake to hold everything still while I torqued the nut off. 2 foot breakover bar and the nut comes right off for a monkey man like myself. Of course when I went to put the brakes on I noticed that the pads had about 2 pieces of papers thickness of pad left. Oh, THAT where that squeak was coming from. I had new pads hangin on the wall waiting for this moment so on they went too.

So, put it all back together and I have a new tire, new brakes old OEM output pulley and a trailer hitch on my bike. Not bad for a weekends work. Pics while it's nekked.

And one up under the fender that I just think looks cool

Now I rode it to work yesterday to make sure I didn't have any clearance problems and I was going to ride it today, but it was just COLD this morning. I had boxes and bottled water to bring in this morning AND I wussed out. With everything shipped off I'll ride it more tomorrow. I started this wheel at 34 psi instead of the 40 thats recomended to newcomers to the darkside. 32-34 feels good on a broken in tire and I spent FAR too much time at 40 psi last time. I liked how it felt and didn't really think about it till I noticed the center was really worn while the outsides still look new. I think I can get even more mileage out of the new tire. As is I got about 3 tires worth of wear out of this one as is. Not bad for a 75 dollar tire that has better traction and feels the same or better than the Metzler I took off.

Now with the OEM Custom rear wheel on the bike I am tubeless and can put a plug kit in the bike so that if I get something in the center I can just plug and go, patch it when I get in to a shop.

Life, is sweet.
DARK SIDE
whats handling like on corners,speeds ?
what made u determine to use General Altimax 195/65-15 ? whats the stock size?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At 40 psi I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Metzler I took off. OEM stock tire whatever that was. I logged onto the Delphi Darkside forum, read, found other bikes that had the same size OEM tire and looked for the size that they were riding. Then I had an acquaintance in Canada mount a 185/60-15? (I can't remember) on his BUT he couldn't get it to seat, however he did slip it on the bike and said there was tons of room, so I went with the 195/65-15 that all the other Suzy riders were using.

As for Altimax, that was from the Delphi site too. After reading about all the other tires the general consensus was Goodyear TT for endurance, General Altimax for handling with less performance. I decided if I could get 3 times the distance out of a tire I would be fine with that and so gave the extra mileage of the TT a pass for better handling. Dialed down to 30-32 psi it does NOT feel like the Metzler I took off. It is buttery smooth. The Metz I had always gripped good but was fairly solid, heavy, hard. If you dropped the pressure a bit it got wobbly. Not so the Altimax. It grips like velcro and is a smooth ride. Now, I could pump it up but the first one is wearing out in the center where I think I would have more mileage at the lower pressure, and the lower pressure IS my sweet spot.

So, handling is great, decision was I did a lot of reading, reward, I got 18,500 out of the tire before I took it off and it's not done yet AND I get the distinction of being the first to go Dark on a Kawa 900 Vulcan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 40 psi I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Metzler I took off. OEM stock tire whatever that was. I logged onto the Delphi Darkside forum, read, found other bikes that had the same size OEM tire and looked for the size that they were riding. Then I had an acquaintance in Canada mount a 185/60-15? (I can't remember) on his BUT he couldn't get it to seat, however he did slip it on the bike and said there was tons of room, so I went with the 195/65-15 that all the other Suzy riders were using.

As for Altimax, that was from the Delphi site too. After reading about all the other tires the general consensus was Goodyear TT for endurance, General Altimax for handling with less performance. I decided if I could get 3 times the distance out of a tire I would be fine with that and so gave the extra mileage of the TT a pass for better handling. Dialed down to 30-32 psi it does NOT feel like the Metzler I took off. It is buttery smooth. The Metz I had always gripped good but was fairly solid, heavy, hard. If you dropped the pressure a bit it got wobbly. Not so the Altimax. It grips like velcro and is a smooth ride. Now, I could pump it up but the first one is wearing out in the center where I think I would have more mileage at the lower pressure, and the lower pressure IS my sweet spot.

So, handling is great, decision was I did a lot of reading, reward, I got 18,500 out of the tire before I took it off and it's not done yet AND I get the distinction of being the first to go Dark on a Kawa 900 Vulcan.
Ok so Ive read Delphi and reviewed the sizing seems everthing in rim width is 3.5 on up.
Im swapping the Kawi 95 KZP1000 OEM 2.50x18 w 3.00x16(81 KZ1000Ltd)
which gives me more space between the swing arm 1" more on each side!

HERES THE SPECS;
So not really seeing anything on Delphi for a 3.0 rim...still I think ...160/80B-16 maybe?
The KZP is 120/90/18 and 4.91 widest in rubber Im see according to Discount Tire the 160/80B-16 Section Width:6.3
HMMMM! will it stay on the rim.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so Ive read Delphi and reviewed the sizing seems everthing in rim width is 3.5 on up.
Im swapping the Kawi 95 KZP1000 OEM 2.50x18 w 3.00x16(81 KZ1000Ltd)
which gives me more space between the swing arm 1" more on each side!

HERES THE SPECS;
So not really seeing anything on Delphi for a 3.0 rim...still I think ...160/80B-16 maybe?
The KZP is 120/90/18 and 4.91 widest in rubber Im see according to Discount Tire the 160/80B-16 Section Width:6.3
HMMMM! will it stay on the rim.....
------------------------------NEW DATA----------------
Since looking over and thinking about what all the car tyre does on cornering I realized cars use what is now a TEMP" spare actually has almost all the qualities of a motorcycle wheel (=! So after researching the tyre and a summer of riding.

Heres my results..the
PRO'S:
1.tyre is allowing turns smoother than a car tyre ,
2.its capacity on weight is more it was designed for it.
3.If your junkyard dealer is willing ...uuhh ummm to take off the steel rim you get an inexpensive tyre.
4.the tyres are avail 14 up 17"!

CONS:
1.the rating only allows for a max of 80mph) =. 80 isnt a bad cruise!
2. I see the tyre wearing almost like a motorcycle tyre.

So 4 out of 2 aint
so far so good maybe Ill try it in the front some day

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Dude. You rode all summer on a car SPARE tire?????? And here I thought the world was gonna crash and burn because we were all running standard car tires. Come to find out it is your brave/crazy soul who has been flirting with the end of all we know.

Now when the world ends in 2012 at least I know who to blame.

Now really you have got some stones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.