Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1876 Posts

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 95 800A 3 yrs ago. low mileage, runs great. I found the Russian Wolf's web site and did the performance mods, got rid of the epa, rejet carb, changed the intake exhaust, crankcase vent filter, changed the sprockets 18/40, lowered 3", phat risers, mustang day tripper seat, this bike has Powah, is quick, and pulls. I love it. the only thing I didn't like about it it was Barney Purple. Yuk! Any how, a few months back I found this forum,I was playing with the idea about trying to paint my bike myself. I had never done that before but I had never done all those performance mods either and they turned out great. So I was searching this forum for info on painting with rattle cans and found the inspiration I needed. So I got the tank and rear fender stripped and painted flat black. as I was doing my searches I found the "Show off your bobber" thread. OH BOY! there is something about the Bobber that rang true. So here I go. I have begun the project. I mounted the solo seat, I have the fender and am attempting to mount it this weekend. I want the fender be a short without struts. I bought a angle grinder to cut the flaps for the mounting holes and bolts into the mud flap holes. I might need a strap at the top of the swing arm. anyhow, I do appreciate this forum. the willingness to share "know how' from the experiences of those who have been there to those like me that haven't is a "Good Thang" I want to give a special thanks to Skitzo, IMB4U, Alley Rat without you guys posting your work, I'd be missin out on the Bobber. I'm posting a couple starter pics, before/ purple & last week without the fender (ignore the dates on the pic) I will post the seat mounting later, and hopefully the fender next week. Later, Dave

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the fender mounted along with the side mount light/plate and turn signals last weekend. I had plan to have a short fender without struts but after it was mounted I realized it is kicked up too high in the rear and will probably bounce when I hit a bump and eventually work itself loose at the mud guard mounting points. struts will secure the fender at a lower position and eliminate any bounce. learn as I go with a little help from my friends. Dave

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the stuts mounted today. very easy and cheap less than $10. fender is very solid now and sets 1" off the tire.I would post pic if someone would tell me how. the forum only lets me post 2 thumbnails then tells me i have exceeded my limit. I don't want to keep taking pic's off to make room for 2 more. Help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
would love to see the struts as i need to do this myself, what did you use, try making your pictures small in size, they are pretty huge so its eating up all your storage space.

Tony J

ps, bike looks great!!!!!!

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
I would post pic if someone would tell me how.
Upload the pics to Flickr, Photobucket or any similar site, then embed them into the text with the IMG tag. Or simply press the button with the mountain and the yellow sky, and you will be asked to enter the URL to the picture.

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Struts: I bought a piece of flat steel at Lowe's 3/4" x 4' and cut it in half.
2 bolts 12M x 1.25 to mount the lower struts in the existing threaded hole near the axle. For the upper, I used 6M bolts with acorn nuts. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the steel to fit the 12M bolt. I measured up 10" from this hole to start the bend. (I used the rack on back of a four wheeler to wedge the piece into for bending the strut) I slowly bent the strut until it angled over and touched the fender. I pushed the rear of the fender down to the desired tire clearance, marked this point for the fender mounting hole. Drilled a hole in the strut & fender to take the 6M bolt. I ran the bolt from the inside out and put wing nut on. after mounting I cut the excess length off the struts and rounded the ends. I decided I liked the look of the acorn nut so I cut the length of the 6M bolts with a dremel tool to fit the acorn nuts tight. The fender is now much closer to the tire, very solid and I looks good. Cost = under $10.
Next step is take it all off, prep and paint. I need sugestions on how to hide the wiring under the seat. Maybe attaching a small leather flap or pouch at the back of the seat would work.
Picture help? how do I make the pic smaller? is that a camera or a computer thang? Thanks Tony and Thullan for your feedback, Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had good luck with photobucket. I upload the pictures I want to use and then resize them. The medium size (320x240) works well for most pictures. After the picture is re-sized, I right click on the URL and copy it. Then, when I'm ready to put the picture in a post, I just right click again and paste the picture address where I want it inserted.

As far as the wiring under the seat, I just got done re-routing the wiring harness and moving the fuse junction box and IC ignitor box to behind the right side cover. I think West Eagle makes a cover that fits over all the electrics. I remember reading on here somewhere from someone who just made a cardboard cut-out of a cover and then fiberglassed over it and painted it.

Would love to see pictures of your struts.

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I did the photobucket. this is my first try at posting- a picture when I first purchased my 800

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked. Thanks Chad, this the medium size, I plan on taking pic's of the struts tomorrow.

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is my 800 in 2008: Phat risers, EPA removed, rejet carb, Dragtron II air box, V&H Cruzers, crank case vent filter, Lowered 3" rear, mustang day tripper seat, new chain & sprockets 18/40

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

last week pic : Flat black rattle can paint job, solo seat, 6" flat rear fender without struts, side mount plate/ tail light, small cat eye signals,

]

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Until I got this bike, I had never done any mods, painting, fabs.
I like the energy that comes with being creativie and then I get to ride the wind too : ) next step is to paint the fender and struts. The best riding weather is cominng soon. Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks good, Dave. How long have you been riding without the chainguard on the bike of your bike? Do you notice a difference without it: oil from the chain splattering on the wheel, tire, swingarm, or you?

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just took it off last week when I was installing my sidemount plate/light.
Only ridin about 75 miles. haven't noticed any thing but I was wandering if the link was to break, it would take out my leg? but if that happened me & the bike would be taken out.

EXPERIENCE is learning: = Cleaned the chain, went for a ride, got oil on my pants,
= put guard back on : )

1 - 20 of 1876 Posts