Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not writing this to make myself sound good, but just because of the coincidence of it.

I had to come into work this morning. My office is in downtown Charlotte. I pulled the truck into the parking lot across the street which was empty due to it being a Sunday and the fact that everything's covered with ice.

So, I get out of the truck, cross the street, and walking toward my building. I could hear someone shouting, "Sir, excuse me, Sir?", and then a whistle. Now, there are a number of street people around here and usually looking for handouts, so I almost didn't even acknowledge the calls, but I decided to turn around and look.

There's a guy in front of the hotel across the street calling to me. He's in business atire and a long wool overcoat. He's stranded in town due to the weather, is waiting for a cab that hasn't shown up, and needs to get to the airport to catch a flight to Knoxville.

I explain that I have a conference call in 10 minutes, but he's desparate to get to the airport. I decide to take him and start the conference call from my cell phone. We chat a bit along the way before my call starts, and I found out that he's from Maryville TN. He asked if I had heard of it. I told him I ride up in that area on the motorcycle and he told me that he also rides a VULCAN. Of all things, I rescued a guy that not only rode bikes, but rode a Vulcan too! Small world, huh? :biggrin:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Did he have a case of Bud Light?

Good for you Dave.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not surprised at all - you've "rescued" more than a few of us here on the forum with your experience. Just some more of that good ole Southern Hospitality!

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
So you were doing a conference call while driving. umm

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
:-D Actually safety wise hands free or hand held present the same situation according to the safety counsel. They say it's the distraction of talking and thinking about what you're saying be it hand held or blue tooth. Not being a smart azzz... Just had to sit thru a 4 hour safety meeting about driving etc. where they stress this about phone and driving and studies and reports. Course being the anal person I am I told the safety instructor "Then tell the Dispatchers to stop calling us while we're driving and just leave a message."

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure you are right, but I don't believe them about being the same. Not for me, anyway. What I find is that holding the phone up to my ear prohibits moving my head properly to be aware of my surroundings. I view doing a call hands-free as very similar to having a conversation with someone else who is in the car with you. I suppose focusing on a conversation is distracting, so they should prohibit passengers. In fact, that would lead to just riding a motorcycle solo, which would save fuel, which reduces greenhouse gases, which solves all the world's problems in on swipe! :-D

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
:-D Actually safety wise hands free or hand held present the same situation according to the safety counsel. They say it's the distraction of talking and thinking about what you're saying be it hand held or blue tooth.
I'm sure you are right, but I don't believe them about being the same. Not for me, anyway. What I find is that holding the phone up to my ear prohibits moving my head properly to be aware of my surroundings. I view doing a call hands-free as very similar to having a conversation with someone else who is in the car with you. I suppose focusing on a conversation is distracting, so they should prohibit passengers.
I agree with Dave here... the "experts" are reachin'. If it was merely the distraction and not the act of holding/texting the phone, passengers would be an even worse distraction. Radios/CD players/GPS' would also be distractions. I have yet to see any proposed legislation to do away with any other electronics or passengers.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Never said I agreed with them just saying whats drummed into our heads all the time which if you noted I made a comment about then why do they call us in our trucks when were driving?? All that stuff you mentioned is a distraction just like CB's in the trucks. Now I'm sure to get on the crap list with the other truckers but what's the difference of holding a phone and talking vs. holding the mike on a cb and talking.?? By the way I only listen to my cb in the truck I don't talk on it. Too much nonsense over the airwaves nowadays.
In fact, that would lead to just riding a motorcycle solo, which would save fuel, which reduces greenhouse gases, which solves all the world's problems in on swipe! Now Dave that's the most sense you've made all day. LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm sure you are right, but I don't believe them about being the same. Not for me, anyway. What I find is that holding the phone up to my ear prohibits moving my head properly to be aware of my surroundings. I view doing a call hands-free as very similar to having a conversation with someone else who is in the car with you. I suppose focusing on a conversation is distracting, so they should prohibit passengers. In fact, that would lead to just riding a motorcycle solo, which would save fuel, which reduces greenhouse gases, which solves all the world's problems in on swipe! :-D
I agree with Dave. Hands free talking in a cage is no different to me then talking with someone in the passenger seat. You can still drive and be aware of your surroundings. I believe the issue with cell phones is holding it up with your hand, blocking partial view of your environment, and loss of use of that hand, being afraid to drop the phone etc.

I've seen drivers not see me when changing lanes because their hand and arm were blocking their view of me, I couldn't see their eyes so they couldn't see me. I know around here few people signal anyway, but definitely don't when they are holding their phone up.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never said I agreed with them just saying whats drummed into our heads all the time which if you noted I made a comment about then why do they call us in our trucks when were driving?? All that stuff you mentioned is a distraction just like CB's in the trucks. Now I'm sure to get on the crap list with the other truckers but what's the difference of holding a phone and talking vs. holding the mike on a cb and talking.?? By the way I only listen to my cb in the truck I don't talk on it. Too much nonsense over the airwaves nowadays.
In fact, that would lead to just riding a motorcycle solo, which would save fuel, which reduces greenhouse gases, which solves all the world's problems in on swipe! Now Dave that's the most sense you've made all day. LOL
Didn't want to imply that you were in support or not on what you said. I know you were just reporting what you had been told.

As far as CBs go, I grew up with that in the 70s when they became popular (or I just became aware of them). I don't think they are in the same class as a phone for causing problems. Perhaps similar to hands free. Just with my own experience, it's the holding of the phone that seems to be the issue, even for me.

However, I HAVE texted on my motorcycle before. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts