Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on attending Daytona Bike week this year and was wondering if anyone has been in the past and if they have any suggestions / tips what to see or if to avoid anything.

TIA

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
There are 4 primary venues to spend time at, so it just depends on what you are in the mood for.

Pretty much all of the factory rides are at the speedway. they do demo rides there. There's also a number of aftermarket merchants too.

Downtown daytona is a "must-visit", just to experience it. seeing all those bikes lining the street and people cruising by is a lot of fun. Grab a seat at a bar close to the street and just sit there enjoying watching people go by. Also cross over the bridge and stop there. there's a few custom bike shops and many vendors there too.

The new Harley shop/venue along 95 has quickly become a great place too. There is also a triumph dealer there, so you're not only looking at cruisers. Also aftermarket vendors there.

The fourth spot is along hwy 1. It's just down from the new harley shop. As you ride down from 95, on the left will be many vendors selling all kinds of stuff. On the right side, there's a great bar...not sure the name of it...to hand out and watch the crowd too.

If you have the time, plan on spending a day at each one. You can casually look around at everything that way and also be able to relax and enjoy your favorite beverage too. If you don't have that much time, you can quickly cover any two in one day and the other two the next. You'll have to rush just a bit though, so it's better to take it slow if you have time. Part of the real fun of bike week is people watching, so just take whatever time you have to relax and enjoy the sights.

Just to wet your appetite, here's a link to pictures of my trip there last year.
Picasa Web Albums - Dave - Daytona 2007

Make sure to take lots of pics to share with us!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Theres an awsome campground to stay at called the holliday campgrounds that's about 15 miles from the action.It's got hot showers and full service trailer hook-ups and bon-fires and burn-out pits.What more can you ask for! There's a nightclub on international raceway drive called bootleggers that's an awsome time with live music and bikini contests and raffles... There's always something to do or see.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My favorite it to hang out on Main Street and watch the parade of people and bikes.....quite an interesting variety. It gets more interesting later in the evening although less so now days with the increased police patrols. Down side is the traffic and finding a reasonable hotel room. If it wasn't so difficult to find a room, I would probably go every year. Really nice to get a room walking distance from Main Street so you can ride during the day and walk to Main St in the evening and not worry about riding back to your room late in the evening when it can get dangerous. Have fun.
ED
ED

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've been to Biketoberbest and that is big I can't imagine how huge BikeWeek is. One thing to check out is Daytona Speedway. All of the manufacturers will be there and usually doing demos. Also I believe there is a bike race at the track that day so you might want to get tickets to see that. We watched the race during Bikertoberfest in 2003.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Great pics, Dave. I am sure I would be in big trouble with the wife though. What with all those "bikes" to ogle over.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
1. Speedway...
2. Destination Daytona (JP Cycles, HD, Arlen Ness and more...)
3. Main Street - Grab a seat and watch...
4. Cabbage Patch - short ride, vendors, Cabbage wrestling, shows, music, etc..

You will have the time of your life...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I've been to Biketoberbest and that is big I can't imagine how huge BikeWeek is. One thing to check out is Daytona Speedway. All of the manufacturers will be there and usually doing demos. Also I believe there is a bike race at the track that day so you might want to get tickets to see that. We watched the race during Bikertoberfest in 2003.
I was at Biketoberfest in 2003 :eek: Also attended Bike Week twice, but liked Biketoberfest a lot more. It's more relaxed, crowds are less, more sportbikes there, also.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
But Tina, the crowd is part of the fun of it. I thought it was SO cool to be around SO many people who love bikes.

I'll say too, that Daytona is WAY easy to get around during bike week. You run into traffic problems close to those primary venues, but getting around the rest of the city is really pretty easy. I have been to MB during bike week and it's a HUGE mess there. I won't ever go back there during a bike week for just that reason. The traffic jams just aren't worth it.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
But Tina, the crowd is part of the fun of it. I thought it was SO cool to be around SO many people who love bikes.
Just for fun we looked mileages on the bikes as we walked by. Average was less than 3k. Most people that go to Bike aren't M/c in my book.

They may love bikes, but they don't ride them very often!

This is a bad subject, Dave, you're yanking my chain. :frown:

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Just for fun we looked mileages on the bikes as we walked by. Average was less than 3k. Most people that go to Bike aren't M/c in my book.

They may love bikes, but they don't ride them very often!
I just kills me when I go down there to see trailers with Florida license plates. Ok, I can understand trailering from CA or OR but come on, if you live in Florida ride to Daytona... It blows my mind talking to people with 3 year old bikes that have less then 5K on them. This coming weekend my Classic will roll over 16K and I just bought it last June...

I RODE MINE

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I just kills me when I go down there to see trailers with Florida license plates. Ok, I can understand trailering from CA or OR but come on, if you live in Florida ride to Daytona... It blows my mind talking to people with 3 year old bikes that have less then 5K on them. This coming weekend my Classic will roll over 16K and I just bought it last June...

I RODE MINE
Now, now....not everyone has the time....blah, blah, blah...

Or think of it this way....lots of great used low-mileage bikes for us to choose from!

From Florida is pretty light-weight, huh. After my wife and I riding that 500 miles in a day each way, I kinda decided that trailering a bike that far isn't ALWAYS for wimps! :D

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts

I RODE MINE
My buddys and I are trailering 6 bikes down from Ontario, Canada. First time for most of us. Believe me, if it weren't for the snow from here to halfway down, we'd be riding the whole way. Can't wait though!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts