Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 600r and I may need to replace it my DCI Unit. I have been looking for a used one and I can find ones a year older and a year newer, but I don't know if they would be compatible. If anyone knows if they are please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
I too have a CDI unit problem. I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say that most are made the same, the only thing different being the plug configuration (on carb'd bikes, fi may not be the same). It seems that the rev limiter may be the only difference, along with when the electronic timing advance comes on. I think that that is all that changed from model to model, most have the normal cutoff stuff, so I bet they are wired the same.

Background done, now what to do? you can go to Kawasaki, owner info, parts diagram and pull up the cdi. There is a little symbol, I forget if it is a ? or what, but you can click on that and find all the part numbers that interrelate to that part. Understand, it will not tell you what I said above, but I have installed close to 7 other model Kawasaki parts, from an 04 250 ninja (rear brake master cylinder) to zx900 parts (fuse box) and they were plug and play.

I have been looking very close at a Concours CDI box for my application, which I bet is different than yours. It has the same 10 pin(?) plug as mine, so after a wiring diagram checkout, I'll pull the trigger on one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.