Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought my first bike about a month ago and I need some advice. I have a 900 Classic and the battery dies if I let the bike sit for couple of days. Typically how long should a bike battery last with out being on a charger? I really like the bike and I think I would enjoy it a lot more if I could start it!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
You've got a problem. No doubt. Possibly a bad battery. You aren't leaving the parking lights on or anything are you?

In any case, call the dealership and get them to look at it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
either a bad battery, bad switch or a grounding issue that is draining it.

under normal use, you should be able to get up to 3 years on a battery. heck the battery in my 04 1500 classic is the original battery, i've never hooked it up to a tender and it'll still turn the old gal over RIGHT NOW. now, i know it needs to be replaced soon, i'm on a dangerous line as i'm nearing 3 1/2 years but each time I flip the switch, it responds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer ship suggested that I might have left the bike in park. Its possible that it could have been in park the first time but it is still happening. I am testing the battery outside of the bike today and if its bad I am going to bring it back to them again.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Good luck. With the key OUT of the bike, my 900 has sat for 3 weeks or so and turned over instantly, however leve the key in the ON position and it's sketchy after an hour or so...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
3.5 yr Battery

either a bad battery, bad switch or a grounding issue that is draining it.

under normal use, you should be able to get up to 3 years on a battery. heck the battery in my 04 1500 classic is the original battery, i've never hooked it up to a tender and it'll still turn the old gal over RIGHT NOW. now, i know it needs to be replaced soon, i'm on a dangerous line as i'm nearing 3 1/2 years but each time I flip the switch, it responds.
Sounds like you are on borrowed time now. That is good your battery still responds everytime. Just don't make a mistake in accidentally draining the power of your batt. or else it may not recover to its required potential. Given its age, it is close to the end. Nevertheless, awesome!

·
First Bike Bliss
152 Posts
I was overseas this summer, and didn't start the bike for two months. When I got home, it started right up. You should have it checked.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the dealership that I bought the bike from was no help at all so I took it to another dealer. It turned out to be a bad ECM. It would not turn off and drained the battery after a couple of days. I’m just glad that its fixed and now I now where to take it in the future. Hey just it time to start riding again!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well the dealership that I bought the bike from was no help at all so I took it to another dealer. It turned out to be a bad ECM. It would not turn off and drained the battery after a couple of days. I’m just glad that its fixed and now I now where to take it in the future. Hey just it time to start riding again!

Was this a new 900 under warranty? If so and the selling dealer would do nothing I would let Kawasaki know about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a new 900. I called Kawasaki to let them know of the dealership not standing behind the bike. Not much of a response on that but they did help my new shop find the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts