Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been busy and in my world, busy = lazy when it comes to fixing some things. So I stopped by the dealer to find out how much it would be to change the fuel filter, oil change (reg and gear oil), and front and back breaks. First, the dealer tick me off when he would only install EBC brakes which for me don't work well, I get much more mileage out of the OEMs. Anyway he proceeded to tell me this would cost around $700 bucks. Give me a break!

I ordered the OEM brakes $100 (front and back), Fuel filter $18, oil filter $6, oil $30, and bought all new gas lines $5, plus new plugs $8.

I was able to strip the bike down, replace all the fuel lines (the weren't horrible, but why take the chance), tweak the carb, change the plugs, clean everything under the tank, change the oil and actually drain all of the oil (not a partial drain like most dealers) and replace both brakes in under 3 hours.

I love it when somebody reminds me that there is no benefit to be lazy! I guess I can take the extra $500 bucks and buy more acc for the bike :tongue:

·
VN900
208 Posts
It is VERY gratifying to do your own work! Now, with some of the cash you saved you can get a manual and a couple of cool tools, if you don't have them already. Good Job!!!

·
Certainly uncertain
146 Posts
I ordered the OEM brakes $100 (front and back), Fuel filter $18, oil filter $6, oil $30, and bought all new gas lines $5, plus new plugs $8
So that's $160 in parts, they wanted to charge you $700, so that is $540 in labor? If you did it in three hours, I would assume a competent wrench could do it in the same or less, so that is roughly $180/hr in labor. :eek: I dunno, sounds like they were not interested in the work as soon as they would not install the parts YOU wanted. Other than that, it would be interesting to see a quote and where all that cost was coming from.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I have been busy and in my world, busy = lazy when it comes to fixing some things. So I stopped by the dealer to find out how much it would be to change the fuel filter, oil change (reg and gear oil), ....would cost around $700 bucks. Give me a break!

I love it when somebody reminds me that there is no benefit to be lazy! I guess I can take the extra $500 bucks and buy more acc for the bike :tongue:

****, $700 that is crazy. Plus, I think I will look into changing my profession. Good for you on doing this yourself. Kaw's are pretty easy to work on for normal maintenance.

You can cut even some of the actual costs by going to Wally World. Check out Nomad's site for cross reference numbers etc., but nice job on doing it yourself.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
my dealer wanted to charge me 180 bucks just to put on heated grips!!! They never done it before.Why would I pay some [email protected]$ %@#[email protected] 180 bucks to learn on my bike and probably screw it up anyway!!! took me 30 minutes to do it myself! they also wanted 200 bucks to put on Phat II risers.They told me that you could not bend the wire loom brackets where the wires and cables go thru because they were tempered steel.I bent them with needlenose pliers that were fitted with plastic tubing to keep from scratching the wire loom brackets Took me 2 1/2 hours to do it alone because I had to take the top triple tree,windshield and lowers off.Is all they know how to do is oil and tires????Oh by the way they wanted 125 bucks to change the oil and filter and adjust the clutch and throttle cable.MORONS!!!!! they wold probably $#@@ that up too

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Recently I bought two new tires from MC Superstore for $202.00 shipped. I have no jack for lifting the bike so I took it to my friends house after running the tires there in my car; 40 miles round trip. Took both wheels to a motorcycle tire shop where they charged me $40 to mount and balance both tires.

All said and done after inconveniencing my friend, I'm sure he didn't see it that way, I spent $242.00 plus most of my day off. If I had gone to the dealer and bought the tires from them for $300 they would have installed, mounted and balanced, for no extra charge. This would have been very convenient for drop off and pickup as the dealership is 2 block from my work.

Of course, doing it myself, afforded me the opportuinity to pull the rear gear box, remove, clean and lube the drive shaft as well as lube the swing arm at the same time. The upside is that I saved about $200 in dealer charges by doing my own work on the swing arm and shaft.

Oh, and by the way. I got to use my friends air ratchet. Fun fun!!

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
I have been busy and in my world, busy = lazy when it comes to fixing some things. So I stopped by the dealer to find out how much it would be to change the fuel filter, oil change (reg and gear oil), and front and back breaks. First, the dealer tick me off when he would only install EBC brakes which for me don't work well, I get much more mileage out of the OEMs. Anyway he proceeded to tell me this would cost around $700 bucks. Give me a break!

I ordered the OEM brakes $100 (front and back), Fuel filter $18, oil filter $6, oil $30, and bought all new gas lines $5, plus new plugs $8.
WHere did you get the fuel filter and hoses, especially for that cheap of a price?

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
So that's $160 in parts, they wanted to charge you $700, so that is $540 in labor? If you did it in three hours, I would assume a competent wrench could do it in the same or less, so that is roughly $180/hr in labor. :eek: I dunno, sounds like they were not interested in the work as soon as they would not install the parts YOU wanted. Other than that, it would be interesting to see a quote and where all that cost was coming from.
Just a guess, but I would imagine the the dealer is charging him a book rate. When we work on our bikes, we combine many maintenance objectives all into one. The book rate doesn't do that. If you are getting multiple things done, I'm sure they charge for each thing.

For example, if you are going to change your tires and your brakes, I'm sure they would change you the brake change rate and the tire change rate, but if you were to do it yourself it would do it all at once, which would obviously be quicker. I would imagine the dealership would too, but the book rate is doesn't adjust for that. With the case being discussed, there are several things being done that would require the tank to be removed. According to the book rate, he would be paying to have the tank removed for each thing.

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the filter from a Kaw dealer in Durham, NC. The fuel line came from autozone, it was just standard 1/4 inch fuel line for anything with a carb. Granted it was pre-bent like I could have got from the dealer, but I didn't car, fuel line is fuel line and it bends pretty easy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just a guess, but I would imagine the the dealer is charging him a book rate. When we work on our bikes, we combine many maintenance objectives all into one. The book rate doesn't do that. If you are getting multiple things done, I'm sure they charge for each thing.

For example, if you are going to change your tires and your brakes, I'm sure they would change you the brake change rate and the tire change rate, but if you were to do it yourself it would do it all at once, which would obviously be quicker. I would imagine the dealership would too, but the book rate is doesn't adjust for that. With the case being discussed, there are several things being done that would require the tank to be removed. According to the book rate, he would be paying to have the tank removed for each thing.
a few years ago I was having a radiator replaced on an extended warranty on a car. I asked the dealer how much more would it be to change to new hoses. When he gave me the price I asked why so high. He stated the book rate was so many hrs. I said you already have the hoses at least half off why would it be so many hours. He just looked at me with a dumb look and said thats the price. Of course I said no. Seems dumb they could have made more money than they did. I beleive that dealerships would make more money if they charged a fair price for their work instead of trying to make a killing on what they do. Dont tell me about overhead. The other repair shops that dont charge the way the dealers do have overhead also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.