Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good site to find out what the dealer's invoice is on new Kawas?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I don't know if it is true for bikes, but the formula for a car was take 15% off the list price. Problem is that method doesn't take into account all the kick backs, etc. the dealer gets.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
It also doesn't take into account the floor space that the bike sits on, the utility bills, the employee's paycheques, the government deductions for absolutely everything (believe me, that is a big nut to crack for a business owner every single month), the insurance costs, the shipping costs.........and everything else.

I don't seel motorbikes for a living, but I do own my own business (sell medical and mobility equipment) and I'm surprisedand shocked by some of the comments I get from potential customers on a weekly basis. Some people have absolutely no concept of the amount of money it takes to operate a business. I have people walk in my store and beatch and moan that I'm a "crook", and I should be ashamed of myself trying to sell a wheelchair for X amount of dollars. (like I should consider myself a charity).

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
It also doesn't take into account the floor space that the bike sits on, the utility bills, the employee's paycheques, the government deductions for absolutely everything (believe me, that is a big nut to crack for a business owner every single month), the insurance costs, the shipping costs.........and everything else.

I don't seel motorbikes for a living, but I do own my own business (sell medical and mobility equipment) and I'm surprisedand shocked by some of the comments I get from potential customers on a weekly basis. Some people have absolutely no concept of the amount of money it takes to operate a business. I have people walk in my store and beatch and moan that I'm a "crook", and I should be ashamed of myself trying to sell a wheelchair for X amount of dollars. (like I should consider myself a charity).

as you know as well...sometimes there is protection money too...

hey don carlo?

hmmm

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Speaking of protection money, you're late on your November payment my friend.
Month ain't over yet...

c'mon i'll have it

u know i've never missed it

·
Registered
710 Posts
hmm.... Txrider asks a simple question of where he might find information on invoice pricing, probably similar to what you may find through Consumer Reports for autos and it's met with a righteous explanation of business cost justifications.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
both of the links mentioned take me to the same place and it's a cost of 14.99 to get a report. Has anyone used either of these sites before? If so, what were your results?

On the 650R site that I also belong to, I believe one of the guys who works for a dealer said to subtract about 800 bucks from list and that's pretty close to invoice. From that dealers generally charge freight and dealer prep.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i see no value in buying those services. there is so much free info on everything, that consumers know pretty close what they sell for before they leave home. isn't the internet great?

·
Registered
350 Posts
both of the links mentioned take me to the same place and it's a cost of 14.99 to get a report. Has anyone used either of these sites before? If so, what were your results?

On the 650R site that I also belong to, I believe one of the guys who works for a dealer said to subtract about 800 bucks from list and that's pretty close to invoice. From that dealers generally charge freight and dealer prep.
I bought a report for the $15 and I think it was worth it. The report didn't contain all that much information really, but gave the important numbers like invoice price, holdbacks, freight, assembly, etc.

I think it provided me with significant insight into the dealer costs and incentives and gave me what I needed to negotiate effectively. Sure beats going in blind.

It has also become very difficult to get that information for free. I looked and couldn't find anything reliable - just anecdotal stuff.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Invoice information is usesless, if you're talking to a dealer who's stuck on MSRP, and/or won't give you jack for your trade...

They don't do volume like car dealers, and are generally not inclined to have you the customer dictate profit margin to them.

Freight and setup are often major profit centers for a bike dealer, and can vary widely.

Common sense will tell you if you're being hosed or not, and it really comes down to how bad you want the bike. Look at Ebay listings to find the real deal on what's the bottom line on a new, or prior year leftover. Armed with those real world numbers, you can negotiate with your local guy, or buy a plane ticket to go get your new auction bike!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good luck with the dearler. I have yet to find a local dealer that will come off MSRP on a current year bike. They know people will pay sticker for a bike so they do not even try to work with you on the price.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hmm.... Txrider asks a simple question of where he might find information on invoice pricing, probably similar to what you may find through Consumer Reports for autos and it's met with a righteous explanation of business cost justifications.
Yeah, wouldnt want the guy to be informed or anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason that I asked this question is that one dealer told me that cruiser sales have been so soft over the past two years that manufacturers have a VERY large surplus. Assuming that to be the case, it would be of interest to know if the manufacturers reduce the cost to the dealers, particularly as model years change. I might be interested buying a 2007 and it would be nice to know that the dealers make the same or better profit as on a 2008. I like my local dealer, and I want him to stay in business.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Both of my current large cruisers were purchased as new left over models. Each one had a substantial discount from original list price. To me, that's where the real deals are. I'm generally not particular about what color the paint is, as long as it's not too odd.

I like buying new bikes for below average used book value. With few exceptions, bikes are not investments that appreciate in re-sale value.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts