Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been three weeks since I have had my bike. The dealership does not know what is wrong at least as of last night.

Symptom: When I am cruising while giving the gas, the bike sounds fine. If I keep it in gear (any gear) and let off the gas I hear a loud banging sound, like metal against metal below me. Pulling in the clutch immediately gets rid of the noise.

This is what they have done so far: They have taken off the left side engine cover. The service manager showed me yesterday the play in the clutch. At least that is what I believe the part to be. Toward the back of the engine it is the middle round interior part. He moved it back and forth stating that all the other bikes they work on do not have this kind of distance of play. They have emailed Kawasaki in hopes of getting the specs for this part.

There are very few VN2000’s sold so they have not pulled too many apart, so they are really in the dark. I would love to help point them in the right direction.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Crank play from the sounds of it. If the crank is migrating back and forth, all sorts of things inside the engine case are subject to impacting the inside of the case, covers, etc. I don't know how its possible in a MC engine, but I've seen car engines with this issue. The main thing I've seen happen is it puts the accessory belts in a bind and they come off the pulleys. Probably a much more serious issue for a MC engine.

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your opinion. I will mention this to the dealership tonight (as I make my nightly visit). Hopefully they have solved the issue or at least determined what it might be.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about your situation.

My 2007 V2K has had zero issues in three yrs..hope they figure it out!

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This all started when they put new tires on the bike last year. There was a Wosh, Wosh, Wosh sound when slowing down in lower gears. The sound must have been amplified after an adjustment in the belt. They could not figure out what was causing the noise and said everything was working correctly, basically told me to live with the noise that was not there before the tire change. Sitting for the winter must have cause the problem to really be noticable.

I love the bike..............I am going to scream if this does not get solved this week.

·
oldbiker
49 Posts
Just my thought,but pulling the wheels off,to put new tires on,should have no effect on engineor clutch. I have the same bike model that you have,and have had both wheels off(dark side back tire),and no noises like you have mentioned. Belt not adjusted correctly can make all sorts of noises,like when it is too loose,and you let off the throttle,the belt will slap that little rubber covered belt guide,and make a nasty sound. Don't know if any of this helps you,but hope you find the problem soon and it is not costly.

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been told it will not cost me anything, whether it is covered under warranty or not. Maybe this is why it is taking so long.

My warranty is up this June. Thinking about picking up an extended plan for 4 additional years at their cost of $355.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Just my thought,but pulling the wheels off,to put new tires on,should have no effect on engineor clutch. I have the same bike model that you have,and have had both wheels off(dark side back tire),and no noises like you have mentioned. Belt not adjusted correctly can make all sorts of noises,like when it is too loose,and you let off the throttle,the belt will slap that little rubber covered belt guide,and make a nasty sound. Don't know if any of this helps you,but hope you find the problem soon and it is not costly.
This makes sense. Is it a clang clang clank, obviously metallic, or more of a whack whack whack, solid but not particularly metallic? Maybe you'll get lucky and this is all it is :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts