Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, First off I know a bunch of you are saying "God, not another debaffle thread" but too bad... I'm starting one! :mrgreen:

It looks quite easy going off the delphi page's instructions, plus it's free, not counting if you need to get a tool or a six pack.

For those who've done it.... Are you happy or did you just F up your pipes and go buy aftermarket ones anyway?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Kevin, I cut out the end plates, and drilled the holes, but didn't get a sound I thought was very strong for a bike this size. Don't get me wrong, the change was good for a while, but eventually I ordered the VH slash cut pipes. I put them on in the summer, and am still happy with the bikes attitude.

I think you will like the change, but crave more. My opinion.

D
ps-- I also took a long piece of thin pipe, one that fit in the center of the baffle, and punched the screens out on each pipe. There are two per pipe. This increased the volume, but again, was not that quality of sound you get from a performance pipe.

·
TriXie Chaser
1,823 Posts
Hey Kevin, I did mine, but I only did the first step. I removed the screens. It was pretty easy and I like the sound. I didnt want a really loud bike just a little more sound. You can always go further but you cant go back...... I considered drilling a few holes in the "plate" but again you cant go back. I see how I feel this year during riding season.

·
TriXie Chaser
1,823 Posts
Kevin, I cut out the end plates, and drilled the holes, but didn't get a sound I thought was very strong for a bike this size. Don't get me wrong, the change was good for a while, but eventually I ordered the VH slash cut pipes. I put them on in the summer, and am still happy with the bikes attitude.

I think you will like the change, but crave more. My opinion. D
This could be true. At the end of the season I was saying "maybe I want it louder" but you cant go back.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I manned up and went all the way right out of the gate. I cut the plate, cut the baffle all the way around, bent that metal out of the way, stuck a broom down the pipe and broke it off right behind the muffler. I did it about 9 months ago and I still love the sound. It's loud but not obnoxiously so. it also idles with a throaty rumble. I've seen post's about guys who claim to love the sound but regret it later. That's not the case with me but I guess to each his own. I did have some backfiring from the reduced backpressure but I smoothed that out with the Cobra FI processor. Anyway, I love it still.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Kevin,
You should just wait until summer when you'll have the chance to hear other pipes that have been debaffled and see if you like the improvement. There is sure to be people in your area that have done it at the next get together.

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Where would I get instructions on how to debaffle V2K pipes? :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm heading in your direction too :)

I think you will like the change, but crave more. My opinion.

D
ps-- I also took a long piece of thin pipe, one that fit in the center of the baffle, and punched the screens out on each pipe. There are two per pipe. This increased the volume, but again, was not that quality of sound you get from a performance pipe.
I'm happy with the sound but is not so tuned on the low gears so now I'm craving the real deal. I don't regret it at all. The sound was and is good even now but gotta have the real thing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The 900s are fuel injected, so you don't have to adjust intake. I would recommend marbling, but I found that didn't change the popping on decel 100%, but it reduced it considerably.

If I keep the bike in the spring, I will add the Barons big air kit, and the VH fuel pak. I am on the fence between this and trading her in.

D

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
How far can you go into debaffling without having to adjust intake or experience popping?
You don't need to adjust intake when modifying the exhaust.

You will experience popping as soon as you remove or change the baffles. The popping is always there, it's just masked with the stock baffles.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the "modified" stock pipes. I went with Cobra Speedster Shashdowns. I love the look of the stock pipes, but felt the sound was a little...well...wimpy. My only complaint about the Cobra pipes is that on the freeways (which I ride a lot) I find the pipes a little too loud. I'm not sure if it's because I'm on top of the bike and can hear it clearer than those around me. I have never been pulled over (even though there have been plenty of chances for a CHP to do so if they felt my bike was too loud). I also have not experienced any dirty looks from cage drivers.

I hope this help you with your decision, Kevin. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I did the screen, wasnt enough. drilled the 1st eight holes, was pretty good. for about 6 weeks. then drilled just 4 holes thru the inside plate. better.

I want pipes now....
it sounds good. I dont regret it for a second. but Id like a set of cobras.
do I need the cobras? no, just want. i want alot of things for my bike. now im depressed lol

wait! I get my new seat thursday!! i get to sit on my bike in the garage and make Vroom Vroom sounds whilst pretending to test out my new seat :)

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
I ground out the inside of the small pipe. Did 8 holes in each and punched through with a steel rod. Nice rumble. I dont' want it any louder.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, Thanx for the replies so far. I just don't wanna sound like a sewing machine anymore and new pipes are just not in the budget.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I bought pipes from a guy on the forums who had punched 4 holes in the outter muffler but hadn't gone any farther. I jumped right in and cut the end cap off, popped out the inner pipe and really like the sound. There is a little popping on decel but only if you have the throttle slightly cracked, kinda fun actually. A fuel processor will probably take care of most of that when I put one on with an air kit. Because I bought another set of pipes, and they are all over the place, I can go back to stock in 15 minutes. Don't know why I would as they are quite enough that I can idle out of the housing complex without disturbing too many people. But my wife doesn't like me warming the bike at 5 in the morning before taking off in 11 degree weather. Then again, I have a tv that the volume goes all the way up to 40 something but I've never been allowed to put it on anything over an 8 because 'THATS TOOO LOUD!!!!'

This from the woman who HAS hearing loss telling the guy with no hearing loss. I'm convinced that much like being exposed to too much noise, if you are not exposed to some volume you're eardrums will stiffen and you will also go deaf. Exercise is ALWAYS the key, to everything.

Sending you a pm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude, i considered de baffling my 07 VN 900 but after hearing some others you kinda get the feeling that they sound like they've been debaffled, don't have that performance roar. I've just ordered my set of Cobra Dragsters, admittedly these are not for everyone but as i think that cool equals loudness then the cobra's are the way forward. Plus if i ever sell the beast i will put the stock pipes back and use the cobra's again or sell seperately.

What ever you decide at least you still ride brother.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts