Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 ninja 650. I just started riding. Was slowing down rapidly and slipped at about 10 mph. Had my gear on thank god. Picked it up to start it and nothing. Not a sound. Took the key out, put it in neutral and tried again. Not a sound still. Whats wrong with her 馃槩

Registered
Hey Rusty, glad to hear that you are ok. I am sure someone on this site will be able to give you some pointers but it would be really helpful to us if you told us the year and exact model of your bike. Other info like mileage and if you recently had work done on it would be helpful too. Good luck!

Registered
2007 ninja 650. I just started riding. Was slowing down rapidly and slipped at about 10 mph. Had my gear on thank god. Picked it up to start it and nothing. Not a sound. Took the key out, put it in neutral and tried again. Not a sound still. Whats wrong with her 馃槩
Did you check to be sure you didn't inadvertently hit the kill switch as you went down?

Registered
Is the bike totally dead? Like no headlight, horn or idiot lights? If you are getting lights then as oldenslow said, the kill switch is an obvious but sometimes overlooked cause.

Super Moderator
Many bikes, like mine, have a tip over switch that has to be reset.

Registered
Wow. Learn something new every day. I knew lots of cars have this feature but did not realize that some bikes have it too. It shuts off the fuel pump in cars.

A quick google search says once the bike is upright it should reset itself. Others say you have to cycle the key and others say to shake the bike side to side. I suppose shaking it fixes a stuck switch?? If you have a manual for your bike it should describe whatever you need to do to reset the switch.

The other thing to consider is that you may have damaged the side stand safety interlock switch when you laid it down.

Registered
Tip-over switch is certainly a possibility, if the bike is equipped with one. They are rather simple devices, meant to reset after the bike is righted and the key recycled in most cases. But it is not unusual for them to get stuck. If you can locate it -- they're usually near the battery -- a rap with a screwdriver handle is often enough to free it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
All the lights work. I have set the bike upright and cycled the key and where I press the switch not a sound

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Tip-over switch is certainly a possibility, if the bike is equipped with one. They are rather simple devices, meant to reset after the bike is righted and the key recycled in most cases. But it is not unusual for them to get stuck. If you can locate it -- they're usually near the battery -- a rap with a screwdriver handle is often enough to free it up.
I鈥檓 not sure if it has a tip over switch. That would be a simple fix if it did. I鈥檒l check that tomorrow.

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure if it has a tip over switch. That would be a simple fix if it did. I鈥檒l check that tomorrow.
This guy talks about the tipover switch on his Ninja 650 but he does not say what year it is.
Also don't forget to look for side stand switch damage. If a wire got pulled off it would exhibit exactly the symptoms you describe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
This guy talks about the tipover switch on his Ninja 650 but he does not say what year it is.
Also don't forget to look for side stand switch damage. If a wire got pulled off it would exhibit exactly the symptoms you describe.
I fired it up to day no problem. I guess there is a reset switch on it and it just takes time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts