Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So todays goal was to pull the park plugs out of my 95 ninja 500, It hought pulling the gas tank off was gonna be the hard part..it turned out to be very simple. everything was progressing smoothly, I got to the plugs and the top ceramic part was nearly rust orange, so I think huh that looks bad as it is cant want to see the under side, So I grab my 18mm deep socket, and (the proper size) And try to get it on the plug…..Trouble is, The socket it to wide, not for the plug but to wide to get down in the whole that contains the plug, So I cant even get the socket on the plug….

So right now I am at a complete loss on how to get a socket down in there to get the plugs out, what do I do, clearly there is some way to get them out, but ill be damned if I know what it is....

The 18mm socket i am useing is just your rgular run of the mill 3/8's 18mm socket.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In your bikes tool kit was there not a sparkplug socket?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In your bikes tool kit was there not a sparkplug socket?
nope :( I am starting to think the guy i bought the bike from never changed the dang plugs due in part to this annoying little factor, that has sent me out side for sevral smokes..:toetap:

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Try an auto store, or do you have a Harbor Freight or some discount tool place around?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
lol yep kan-o-tuna is the same way.. took my deep well and started grinding..... they taper the plug wells so you have to use a thin wall or the factory stuff....

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
I had the same problem with a shadow, ace hardware was the only place I found one thin enough, its was stamped with the ace hardware brand

·
Crazed Zed-head
2,076 Posts
Google cruztools. They make replacement bike tool kits. The Econokit M2 is like $40 and includes the thin walled spark plug socket like the ones that come in OEM tool kits. Plus you get a bunch of other good tools in the kit as well.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Been here done this on my old EX500's. sucked to have to fix things too. I REALLY dont like that about that bike, but its not terrible.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
Had the same problem with my Vulcan Classic. Went to a local garage and he had one that he had ground down to fit some other vehicle. Just grind the socket down and you're good to go.

Charles
thats what i did, just took one and ground it down until it worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts