Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....so I'm gonna give you a description of different type of motorcycle enthusiests....you tell me what you call them.

1. Someone who rides whenever they can, appreciates all types of motorcycles, although has a preference for a particular type. May dress the part, but does so for reasons of safety.

2. Someone who rides with a group of friends. Most times it's short rides. Spends a great deal of time together talking and BSing about bikes and things in general.

3. Someone who owns a motorcycle and rides when asked by other friends who ride. Trips can be short or long, depending on the interest of the friend's interests that day.

4. Someone who rides a particular bike, prefers to hang out with and/or ride with others who ride the same bike. Doesn't generally socialize with people who ride bikes different from theirs.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
1) biker ( but forget safety, I just like wearing leather)

2) poser or RUB

3) enthusiaist - but may also ride by them selves

4) BMW riders

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
1) My wife's husband. Probably a few others out there calling themselves "bikers"

2)Motorcycle enthusiast

3)Motorcycle owner

4) Small-minded, prejudiced

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
1 enthusiast!
2 putter
3 pooch
4 deranged loyalist

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Someone who rides whenever they can, appreciates all types of motorcycles, although has a preference for a particular type. May dress the part, but does so for reasons of safety.

2. Someone who rides with a group of friends. Most times it's short rides. Spends a great deal of time together talking and BSing about bikes and things in general.

3. Someone who owns a motorcycle and rides when asked by other friends who ride. Trips can be short or long, depending on the interest of the friend's interests that day.

4. Someone who rides a particular bike, prefers to hang out with and/or ride with others who ride the same bike. Doesn't generally socialize with people who ride bikes different from theirs.
Well, I refer to number 1 as a motorcyclist.

Number 2 I refer to as a biker. Biker to me has a connotation as a poser.

3 to me is a motorcycle owner.

4 is a snob.

Now....how many of you read this and had an image of a particular bike that came to mind? Not so much a brand, but perhaps category? Like cruiser, or sportbike, or, of course...a BMW?

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
1. Jim
2. Moose
3. Jane
4. Tony

... They are who they are. It's their motorcycle and they can use it the way they please. Who am I to tell them different or judge them?

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Nobody Pigeon-Hole's me. :|

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's true that everyone is part of the community, and hey...if you ride, you ride. I was just posting this because when someone asks me if I'm a biker, I usually tell them no, I'm a motorcycle rider. I tend not to hang with the crowd as much as others do, and one friend that I ride with most, we are more about going than sitting. we do 300-350 mile days on a regular basis, and when others ride with us, sometimes they get worn out by the amount of riding we do, or tend to want to stop a lot and BS a lot. Not that I mind, but for me and my friend, when we ride, we RIDE. :)

Not that I don't enjoy the big group things too. I really do like getting together at bike-night types of things, or toy run types of things.

To each his own. :)

Tod, I think you're number 4! :D

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Well, it's true that everyone is part of the community, and hey...if you ride, you ride. I was just posting this because when someone asks me if I'm a biker, I usually tell them no, I'm a motorcycle rider. I tend not to hang with the crowd as much as others do, and one friend that I ride with most, we are more about going than sitting. we do 300-350 mile days on a regular basis, and when others ride with us, sometimes they get worn out by the amount of riding we do, or tend to want to stop a lot and BS a lot. Not that I mind, but for me and my friend, when we ride, we RIDE. :)

Not that I don't enjoy the big group things too. I really do like getting together at bike-night types of things, or toy run types of things.

To each his own. :)

Tod, I think you're number 4! :D
I think my feelings can be illustrated by a story:

A lot of my friends ride. There's a group of them that have some really nice bikes (production choppers and the like) but, since they work all the time, have very little time to use them. Two of them, for example, have a construction business and a car-hauler business respectively and they're very busy. Well, another of my friends rides a Road King, and pretty much rides it every day to ride to and from work and on the weekends. Well, this guy considers himself a 'true' biker. He does look the part, but he's someone that has always sorta' been looking for a way to define himself. He's a guy who doesn't really know who he is... know what I mean?

So, one day he shuffles up besides me and starts talking smack about our other friends. "Oh, they aren't real bikers... <and such>". He knows I ride almost every day during the season, so I guess he figures we have some sort of comraderie because of that. BUT, the thing is, he's better freinds with the guys he's putting down than with me! Why in the world would he think we're all of a sudden connected just because we're able to ride more often than others. Man, that is just a bizarre rationalization, but so common. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I told him the same thing I posted above -- and I believe it.

·
Banned
880 Posts
I think my feelings can be illustrated by a story:

A lot of my friends ride. There's a group of them that have some really nice bikes (production choppers and the like) but, since they work all the time, have very little time to use them. Two of them, for example, have a construction business and a car-hauler business respectively and they're very busy. Well, another of my friends rides a Road King, and pretty much rides it every day to ride to and from work and on the weekends. Well, this guy considers himself a 'true' biker. He does look the part, but he's someone that has always sorta' been looking for a way to define himself. He's a guy who doesn't really know who he is... know what I mean?

So, one day he shuffles up besides me and starts talking smack about our other friends. "Oh, they aren't real bikers... <and such>". He knows I ride almost every day during the season, so I guess he figures we have some sort of comraderie because of that. BUT, the thing is, he's better freinds with the guys he's putting down than with me! Why in the world would he think we're all of a sudden connected just because we're able to ride more often than others. Man, that is just a bizarre rationalization, but so common. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I told him the same thing I posted above -- and I believe it.
just my .02...id call someone who rides every day or whatever and in all weather all year is just fukin hardcore. for me that would be the only comraderie would be that we both rode anytime anywhere without putting the other people down for not riding for whatever reason. maybe for some its not just because your able to but because your willing to, maybe he doesnt understand the some people just dont have the time that others do and he just sees you two as a couple 'o hardcore riders. now round here its been a high of about 32F and im sure as hell not riding but when i hear of some of you guys getting out in sub freezing temps, man thats just hardcore to me. more power to ya. not sure if any of this made a **** bit of sense.:mrgreen:

ok i read that again and this guy sounds like he's thinking about things a little too much and possibly has an image problem.

1. the real deal.
2. most Harley riders around my area
3. enthusiast/motorcycle social butterfly
4. anal, needs a good lay.

So what the rider called who always rides alone and has fun with all different riders?

·
Registered
17,940 Posts

A Motorcyclist

An Enthusiest

A RUB

Unfortunate

The term "Biker" to me conjurs an image of a true 1%, like a del Fuego or Hells Angel, or similar club. It has such a negative conotation and has become the stereotype such as an Italian mobster, drunken Irish, etc.

I prefer not to use it to describe myself. I ride a motorcycle and I enjoy it alot. What am I?

Just a person.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alright I've been nice till now but I have to say it:
1 Tough "Old Fart" rider
2 Socialite
3 Impressionable4 Harley Owner
Now, let the fight begin.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I'm just being too judgemental. After all, it really has to do with knowing how a person feels inside with regard to riding. The level of enthusiasm and passion is what counts.

as long as someone is passionate about their bike, then they're ok with me! :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts