Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get dents out of a gas tank? There were dents on each side of the tank, behind the emblems. They have always bothered me, and so I finally took the emblems off so I can get at them. They are smooth dents, no creases, and don't seem too deep to me. Any body mechanics out there that can point me towards some ideas? I am planning on calling around to some body shops tomorrow, but want to keep my options open in case of the cost.

Also, any MS owners out there taken off the Streak stickers? Want to remove them also because I am looking into getting it airbrushed soon.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You can try Gadget's dry ice solution; or go online and get one of those dent removers (they use suction cup technology); or compressed air (I wouldn't recommend). Try the dry ice first-- it's worked for lots of folks.

Jan

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
3-M sells a decal remover spray. You must remove the tank, then spray it and let the decals bubble, and they they pull right off. It takes a bit of work to get all the glue, but I use a product from my local paint shop that will seriously eat your brains if you breathe the fumes, but it works great.

Do not use a commercial heat gun, as they can ignite the remaining fuel fumes inside a completely dry tank.

Regarding the dents, dry ice is the best way to pressurize the tank and ding out the dents. That is more time consuming that it is really worth. You will still have to use a filler and sealer to smooth out the dings once you are done. No bigger than those dents are, I would just have my paint shop fill them. The fillers used now days do not crack out for twenty or thirty years.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Heat gun should work in place of the sun.

Be careful on removing the stickers, depending on how far you are going with the custom paint. Many (perhaps all?) graphics stickers are UNDER the clearcoat and cannot be removed without destroying the clear, meaning you'd need a complete repaint, however, I don't recall seeing your particular color and graphics design before... if it's not factory, the graphics may indeed be on top of the clear.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat gun should work in place of the sun.

Be careful on removing the stickers, depending on how far you are going with the custom paint. Many (perhaps all?) graphics stickers are UNDER the clearcoat and cannot be removed without destroying the clear, meaning you'd need a complete repaint, however, I don't recall seeing your particular color and graphics design before... if it's not factory, the graphics may indeed be on top of the clear.
I can feel a lip around the edge of the sticker. Would I be able to feel that if it was under the clear? The graphic is the same as all MS models except the SE, black, and newer models. That sweeping stripe style sticker from front to back of the tank.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3-M sells a decal remover spray. You must remove the tank, then spray it and let the decals bubble, and they they pull right off. It takes a bit of work to get all the glue, but I use a product from my local paint shop that will seriously eat your brains if you breathe the fumes, but it works great.
What is the reason to remove the tank? Just to protect the other bike parts?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I had a similar dent on my 500 from a fall this summer. I doubt that the dry ice method will work for you (it didn't for me). I used the Pop-A-Dent and it worked for most of the dent. I still had the use some Bondo, but not too much.

Your dent on the left looks like it may come out clean with the Pop-A-Dent. The dent on the right looks like it has creased the metal and will be a tough one.

Good Luck!!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hi Meanie Man
I had a dent like your right side on both sides of a tank I had painted, and in my case, they brazed a stud* onto the dent and slowly pulled it back into shape with a slide hammer. Still required a glaze of bondo but it turned out great and didn't bust the seam.

* do not try this at home! Will make a big bang unles done correctly.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
As you said body shop is the right way to do it they deal with this type of thing everyday.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Unscrew the gas petcock....and install a screw in plug from the hardware store.
Wrap an air nozzle from your air compressor in a large rag, and jam as hard as you can into the filler, and blast with air.
It will pop the dents out somewhat.
Then bondo and sand down to a finished products......repaint and your done.

I have done this 3 times to bikes and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I can feel a lip around the edge of the sticker. Would I be able to feel that if it was under the clear? The graphic is the same as all MS models except the SE, black, and newer models. That sweeping stripe style sticker from front to back of the tank.
Yes, even with the stickers under the clear-coat you will still feel the edge.
And, if you remove them, you will leave a mark on the tank from where the sticker+clear was removed, revealing the bare paint under the sticker.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unscrew the gas petcock....and install a screw in plug from the hardware store.
Wrap an air nozzle from your air compressor in a large rag, and jam as hard as you can into the filler, and blast with air.
It will pop the dents out somewhat.
Then bondo and sand down to a finished products......repaint and your done.

I have done this 3 times to bikes and it works pretty well.
That scares me!!!

As you said body shop is the right way to do it they deal with this type of thing everyday.
Probably will go this route, or just get new tank. Talked to one shop, and he said he would do it for 4-450 and match factory paint. Want to get custom tank and fenders anyway, may just wait for them. Them dents do not slow me down any.:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same bike as you and I have a dent that I will have to repair. My only concern is the painting process. Would appreciate advise on how and what you used to paint the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts