Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depressed...No More!

Took my 800 into mechanic late last Friday; having some kinda issue with front cylinder, either ignition or compression. I dunno, but I trust my mechanic. Figured he could work on it while we were gone for a few days over Thanksgiving, I'd get back, pay the bill, and off I ride...

The problem is that he IS good, and in high demand, and overworked. Got a vmail from him on Thanksgiving; hadn't had a chance to look at my bike, but has it locked up safe inside the garage. Will try to check into it Monday...

As if to spite me, the weather since we got back has been just beautiful; sunny, cool but not cold, perfect riding weather. And I got nothing to ride. This is the longest I've gone without riding and the experience certainly bears some resemblance to clinical depression; listless, sleeping poorly, not much interested in doing much, obsessing on my bike (hence this post)...

If I had $$ in my pocket, I would have gone out and bought a new bike yesterday, just to have something to ride.

Hope all of y'all are out there are riding if you can, and are appreciating it! I'll be back to join you soon as I can...

:biggrin: see update at end...:biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Took my 800 into mechanic late last Friday; having some kinda issue with front cylinder, either ignition or compression. I dunno, but I trust my mechanic. Figured he could work on it while we were gone for a few days over Thanksgiving, I'd get back, pay the bill, and off I ride...

The problem is that he IS good, and in high demand, and overworked. Got a vmail from him on Thanksgiving; hadn't had a chance to look at my bike, but has it locked up safe inside the garage. Will try to check into it Monday...

As if to spite me, the weather since we got back has been just beautiful; sunny, cool but not cold, perfect riding weather. And I got nothing to ride. This is the longest I've gone without riding and the experience certainly bears some resemblance to clinical depression; listless, sleeping poorly, not much interested in doing much, obsessing on my bike (hence this post)...

If I had $$ in my pocket, I would have gone out and bought a new bike yesterday, just to have something to ride.

Hope all of y'all are out there are riding if you can, and are appreciating it! I'll be back to join you soon as I can...
That is why I have 3 motorcycles, If one breaks down you always have a back up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depressed, but with a plan...

OK, you guys have made up my mind: This is DEFINITELY a reason to get a second bike to insure there's always one available. I'm sure SWMBO will be OK with that. :lol:

as to rent: great idea, but I'm too darn cheap. probably penny-wise & pound foolish if I'm looking at another bike, but I is what I is...

Pat0021: I hear ya, and having spent seven "exile" years in central IL I can relate. But I ain't gonna feel sorry for ya - you can move south same as me. :cool: We tend to frown on Yankees in general, but I'll personally vouch for anyone on this forum, so you're good - come on down!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not what I wanted to hear...

just got a call from my guy; ran a compression test. Rear - 170; Front - <50...

crap. just what I needed. :frown:

He' HOPING it's just valves...will be digging into it this week.

Think of me on your next ride and be thankful to be on 2 wheels; I'm stuck in a cage for a while...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm in Northeastern PA and the weather is warm, but rainy. I just bought stabilizer for my tank and was hoping for one more nice day to run some through before putting my baby away for a short winter's nap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know all about the depressed thing. My 1500 Drifter started acting up in October and I took it to our local Kawasaki dealer to have it checked out. 4 weeks and $300 later my bike ran worse than it did when I took it in. I took the bike home and with the help from forums like this one, we put our heads together and came up with trying a bottle of Gumout to clean things up. Surprise! I'm now riding again. My issues were with the front cylinder too. I had spark and compression, it just wasn't getting fuel. Obviously, we don't have any respectable bike mechanic in our area. It sounds like you have a good one (lucky you!) hope you get it worked out real soon. I rode yesterday in 37 degree weather. Hey as long as there is sunshine I'm ridin! Today is supposed to get to 50, tomorrow...20's (brrrrr) Indiana weather....go figure.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
Get your ride in today Georgia folks cause lots of rain is headed our way. Oh, it got down to 34 degrees this morning:eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the good thoughts, gang

and I know I'm not the only one suffering cycle withdrawl pains this time of year - it was just unexpected in my case.

2 quick questions for anyone passing through -

1) anybody had to get a cylinder rebuild on a 800 or comparable? wondering what kinda $$ I'm looking at here...

2) anybody have any experience as to what might have gone wrong (i.e. was there something I did/didn't do that might have caused this or made it more likely?).

note:
  • valve clearances checked and adjusted to spec about 5k miles ago (was going to be doing it again within the month, but they still "sounded" ok - typical clatter, not tight),
  • regular oil change @ 3k or less (dino/motorcycle oil),
  • EPA crap pulled,
  • V&H cruzers with Hardcore baffles,
  • rejetted when put on dragtron air cleaner mod.

Been running great, until...

later, all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's FIXED!~

Woohoo! valve issue; didn't have to tear down the heads after all.

My mechanic got 'er running better than it has in a LONG time.

If you're anywhere around NW Atlanta (Cobb Co) and need some work done, PM me - this guy knows bikes. rebuilds classic imports, a couple harleys. great guy and KNOWS his way around a motorcycle. And charges a fair fee, too.

I'm back on two wheels! Can't stop grinning! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.