Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just bought a Kawasaki EX 500 this last December. I was very excited to finally have a motorcycle. I didn't want to go all out and buy something more grand than the 500 simply because it was going to be my first bike. I did everything I could to prepare for it, including taking classes and calling just about every Kawasaki dealer in my state. Simply put, I wanted to be ready.

So I get my motorcycle and I'm thrilled with it! I'm riding around everywhere, even when I really have no where to go.

Unfortunately something happened that broke my heart... I was taking a turn and a stupid cat ran in front of my path. I freaked and ended up in a low side fall. Now, THANK GOD, my bike still works fine (it seems), but it did suffer some damage. I have to get a few parts replaced. The biggest and most notable being the front cowling (or fairing, still not sure which term is the correct one)!!!! Now I've looked around and I haven't found any that are used cheap. My bike is a 2009 model so I think I can buy any part older than 1994.

I found this site, and I thought maybe you guys could let me know of somewhere I can get one, or maybe help me find one. It would be much appreciated it.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum, You may find someone around here with extra plastics. But you could give this place a try:
Kawasaki EX500 1994-06, fairing, fairings, tail, seat, front fender, rear hugger, upper, lower, bellypan, fuel tank, undertail, air box, air ducts, Ninja, EX 250, 500, ZX 600, ZX6, ZX7R, ZX9, ZX9R, ZX10, ZX11, ZX12, KZ 400, 550, 650, 750, 900, 1000,

Sorry about the mishap, but don't worry about it too much. It happens to the best and worst of us, and everyone in between. Consider it a learning experiance and keep on rolling.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Have you tried searching Ebay? Are there any MC salvage yards in your area?
Are there any other sportbike forums in your area? (they usually have classified sections w/plastics for sale)

With some work you might find the original paint matched parts..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I almost bought the EX 500 as my first bike, too. But I knew within a year if not sooner, I'd be sorry I didn't go for the one I REALLY wanted, the 600r. So, I got the 600r. LOL. It was so sharp and shiny in the beginning...

It was my first streetbike, and I never laid it down while riding or had an accident, but I DID drop it a few times from a standstill. My problem is, I'm only 5'4" and my feet do not both sit flatly on the ground. I can either get both tiptoes on the ground, or, what I usually do, lean to one side and have just one foot flat on the ground. Under "normal conditions" I'm fine, but in a few instances, there'd been a dip in the pavement right where I put my flat foot, and it was too far to the ground, so I lost the bike. The fairing got scratched up, so did the crank case, >__< and the front blinker arm broke (I DID replace that), but it was all purely cosmetic aside from the blinker. I paid 10 bux and got 2 blinkers off an ebay parts dealer. Still, all the fluids run the wrong way once you drop it, and you've got to pick it up in the middle of traffic and try to start it up, flooded. It's EMBARASSING. One minute you're looking all cool and the next minute you're a fool, holding up honking traffic. And you had better be able to pick the bike up from a laying down position by yourself, or you shouldn't be riding that bike in the first place.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I was wildly annoyed & freaked-out by the scratches on the fairing and especially the crank case, and I wanted to replace everything so it looked all shiny & new like the day I first bought it. But y'know what? I dropped it AGAIN later on, and I would've been even more furious if it happened right after I spent hundreds of dollars replacing the fairing. Honestly, if I were you (it sounds like you don't have excessive money to waste), I would not blow the money on cosmetic issues right now. It's not worth it. And your bike is not messed-up internally, so don't worry about it. These bikes are more durable than you think ~ you'd really have to hit something hard to cause serious mechanical damage. I only dropped the bike in the first year I had it. It's been 10 years now and I haven't dropped it once.

The fairing is only thin plastic. The only reason it costs so much is because it's customized, not because it's hundreds of dollars worth of plastic. They overprice EVERYTHING that has to do with streetbikes because they're assuming if you had the money to buy into such an elite, expensive "hobby," then you have the money to waste on replacement parts. It's ridiculous, it's the same thing as people who own a sporty car; they will get billed MORE for parts than Joe Shmoe driving a clunker will. If you've got the money to do it and money is not an issue, then by all means, replace the fairing. But just keep in mind, it can happen again, and if the blemishes are really not all that bad (like a crack running fully through the fairing) then don't sweat it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate it. trikebubble, that website is amazing. After looking around and not finding anything for under $600, it was a huge sigh of relief. Although I don't like how they didn't have the drilled holes in it. I'll look into a couple of places here to see about how long it would take them to make them. Thank you, really!

Mike Folks, the website you gave me was amazing as well! Those parts are even pre-drilled and the prices are also EXTREMELY low. Thank you very much!!!

skewterdewd, I appreciate the suggestion. I did look into a few MC junkyards and salvage yards, but there were none for the '94+ modle. As far as e-bay goes, I lost the auction in the last second on the one part I did find!!! Needless to say, but I was quite upset.

xeokym ZX6r, Thanks for your story. It's good to hear I'm not the only one out there kicking my own *** for hurting the bike. I hope I can get something a bit stronger in a couple of years as well ^_^ I do think I'll get it replaced because it wasn't a crack that occurred, it was an actual break off. The whole right side of the upper faring is missing, so I don't have anywhere to attach my right blinker =P That, and my ignition and a couple of other parts are exposed.

Overall you guys have been VERY helpful. Again thank you SOOOO much! I really am very grateful! I never imagined the forum would be THIS helpful. Again thank you, you guys. ^_^

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Overall you guys have been VERY helpful. Again thank you SOOOO much! I really am very grateful! I never imagined the forum would be THIS helpful. Again thank you, you guys. ^_^
The longer you are here, the more you will learn - this is an awesome place!

Welcome to the forum!

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
BTW spend the extra 80 bucks and get the cowling from rockwell. It is predrilled which will save a ton of time and frustration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my bike is black, but I can't buy a factory one since they come to about 800 or so dollars. But if you have one lying around that you're letting go for REALLY cheap, let me know ^_^

·
I ride an 85 ZX900 Ninja!
64 Posts
Well Im almost certain I can locate you a good used factory one, Im shootin for the black, but ill see what they got! im gonna guess it will be around a hundred bucks if thats not too much compared to the 800 new. Once I locate I will jus give you their contact info so that you know Im honest on it...ill know by tomorrow afternoon! hows that sound?

·
64 Posts
Well I located you one!! Couple drawbacks tho, its red and might need some small repair ie; mounting tab and windscreen mounting hole fixed, but its only 90.00!! I figure 90 to buy and maybe 100 to paint black and have small issues addressed and your back in biz!! I hope this helps, if you prefer me to keep looking for a black one I will be more than happy to do so! Jus let me know...

Thanks for being patient,

Johnny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well preferably a black one would be better, but if you found this one, that'd be great. Could I have the link like you said you'd provide? Thank you VERY much! I really do appreciate you going through all of this for me.

·
64 Posts
ill keep the search going for a black one over the next few days, if nothing shakes out the bushes then you can decide......check your inbox for the contact information!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont know if you are willing or able but my bro had a slight mishap and busted his yellow 500 r, needs a reasonable replacement of his upper fairing... hope you can help! S

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking for a fairing for my co-workers bike.
She owns a 2009 500 Ninja (blue).
The wind knocked over her bike and busted her upper cowling.
Can anyone help me find a fairing?
Thanks.
Bill

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
Yes follow the link in the second reply to this thread. I bought from them and had a good experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts