Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and the off-road side of motorcycling. Recently I picked up a 93 KX 125 to get me started in motorcross but it needed a few things to get going. I rebuilt the top-end and started to get ready to go ride it, in looking things over I noticed that the chain had way too much slack so I decied to adjust the tension. I loosed up the axle nut and started to back out the adujsting nuts. The left side adusted back OK, but the right side wouldn't budge. The axle could move but not the adusting bolt. It appeared like it was stuck pretty bad and my wrench kept slipping of the nut so I removed the rear wheel to get a socket on it which would grab better. As soon as I tried to make the first turn the bolt snapped!!! Now I have half the threaded end of the adjusting bolt stuck inside swingarm! What can I do?? Do I have to replace the entire swingarm?? Has anyone see or dealt with this before?? Please help I don't want to pay a dealer to rip me off unless I have to. I only spent 800 for bike and am trying to keep this fairly non-expensive to get running.

·
Registered
191 Posts
how much is stuck

How much is stuck in there. is the head of the bolt broken but the jam nut still there? its kind of an awkward place i know but you dont have to replace the swingarm. depending on how much bolt is left is gonna determine what to do. worse case you drill it out and retap the hole or put a heli coil in there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it!! Esay to do. I bought the Swing Arm Buddy, you can get it through Parts Unlimited. It is a kit that gives you a drill bit to drill out the broken bolt and a new adjuster bolt/lock nut that uses a rectangular plate to push against swingarm. I took about 15 mins to fix. I highly reccomend if you ever have same problem. The best thing is this will never happen again with the new one as it just pops in and does not thread into swingarm. And it looks good to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts