Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago when I was having issues with the bike not running right, I was told to make sure the gas tank vent wasn't clogged. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to blow compressed air into the end of the vent hose. Well, turns out, I had the wrong hose in my hand, and I had inadvertently grabbed what I think is the overflow hose for the radiator/coolant reservoir. Well, after I did that, when I started it up, It was smoking for a minute, and a little fluid leaked onto the floor. The few times I started it after that, it did the same thing. I will be putting the carbs/tank back on this weekend (hopefully) and this has been bugging me. Did I wreck something, or did I just blow some fluid out onto the engine. This may be the first time this has ever been done, so I don't know what, if any problems I may have caused. :)

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
IMO before anyone can offer accurate advice, they are going to need to know exactly what line you blew air pressure in to.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
It would not be a good idea to blow compressed air through the tank vent line either. But it sounds like you may have burst a seal. Check your oil for coolant.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what color smoke....

White smoke. I know now I need to leave the air hose alone. The smoke nly happens when I first start it up and it gets warm. I haven't ridden it since this took place. I wonder if I blew some out and it is puddled on the motor.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
white smoke can be an indicator of antifreeze in the combustion chamber. To me, that would indicate an internal leak, however, I can't imagine an air compressor creating THAT much pressure in the cooling system without the radiator cap releasing the back-pressure.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
need to start it up again and observe the situation. but first, check coolant, look for oil in it, second look at the oil, antifreeze water will appear milky slimey... see if you start it and it still blows smoke

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
need to start it up again and observe the situation. but first, check coolant, look for oil in it, second look at the oil, antifreeze water will appear milky slimey... see if you start it and it still blows smoke
My hopes (and guess) are that it blew out from under the cap. It should have. The oil (I checked it) shows no signs of any coolant being mixed in it. Once I get the carbs back on, I will have more info. Hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, forgive me for not being very clear. The smoke I am seeing is not coming from the exhaust. It is coming from under the fairing, right around the area of the coolant bottle.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Probably sprayed a bunch of coolant over the engine/exhaust and when the engine/exhaust get hot enough it starts burning it off. Try washing the front side of the engine and exhaust and see if gets better. You might have to remove some plastics to get good access to that area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts