Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got sparkplugs for My Vulcan Classic 1500 at the dealer yesterday. Went to install them and the old ones were NGK DPR 5EA. The ones from the dealer are DPR 6EA. The manual says the DPR6EA are for Canadian bikes and DPR 5EA are for USA bikes?. Are they a hotter heat range or what????

Grunt

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had the exact same question concerning my 99 1500 classic. (see my post under the "mechanic's corner") My dealer only had the NGKDPR6's and they are a colder plug but he said that they would work ok. He actually said that he could not get the DPR5's I put them in and the bike seems to run ok. However after posting here and thinking about it a bit more I decided to put the 5's back in as the specs in the manual call for. I was able to order them from my local Autozone car dealer for $1.99 a piece. Also you can find them all over the internet and as a last reort they are also available at the NGK.com site, a bit more expensive and you get hit with the shipping fee!!! Funny, the 1550 FI's and the later Vulcans, Nomads and Meanstreak's included call for the 6's. Must be a higher demand for these plugs, hence the lack of 5's.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had the exact same question concerning my 99 1500 classic. (see my post under the "mechanic's corner") My dealer only had the NGKDPR6's and they are a colder plug but he said that they would work ok. He actually said that he could not get the DPR5's I put them in and the bike seems to run ok. However after posting here and thinking about it a bit more I decided to put the 5's back in as the specs in the manual call for. I was able to order them from my local Autozone car dealer for $1.99 a piece. Also you can find them all over the internet and as a last reort they are also available at the NGK.com site, a bit more expensive and you get hit with the shipping fee!!! Funny, the 1550 FI's and the later Vulcans, Nomads and Meanstreak's included call for the 6's. Must be a higher demand for these plugs, hence the lack of 5's.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I am going to try them as the carb has been jetted for the cobra pipes. May run better with the colder plug.

Grunt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts