Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drained my radiator fluid and i noticed some dirt in the fluid. so i flushed the system with water and got more dirt. im going to repeat the process until it comes out clean.

how could dirt get into the system? i dont get it. i wrecked my bike last week, is it possible that somehow is responsible?

is having dirt in your radiator system a threat to damage?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Did you touch down in any dirt whilst the bike wrecking was in progress ?

Dirt does not have very good cooling properties so it needs to be evacuated from the system......

A good flush forward and reverse would be a requirement me thinks :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Could result in overheating if you dont get it all out. It would block cooling passages therefore resulting in overheating. Resulting in engine problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah my bike slid into some mud. i was just making sure that dirt in the cooling system wasnt detrimental (as compared to getting some in, say the cylinder)

thanks, ill make sure i flush it thoroughly

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
BUT, how could dirt get into the system in the first place? i mean, it is sealed...
Are you sure it's actual mud?

Crud will develop on the insides of the radiator etc over time due to the rapid cooling/heating of the coolant. This is probably what you're seeing as you flush it out. If you used tap water to dilute the coolant to 50/50 you may see sediment that was in the water as well.

You'll also usually get some sparkly bits coming out in the form of aluminum specks. It's normal as long as it isn't excessive.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
Crud will develop on the insides of the radiator etc over time due to the rapid cooling/heating of the coolant. This is probably what you're seeing as you flush it out. If you used tap water to dilute the coolant to 50/50 you may see sediment that was in the water as well.

You'll also usually get some sparkly bits coming out in the form of aluminum specks. It's normal as long as it isn't excessive.
+1 ^^ - get the coolant that is already mixed 50/50 for alum engines. Available at Napa and other fine retailers...:biggrin:

:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
How much dirt is coming out. Is it just colored like dirt or is it actually dirt particles. If it's just a small amount it may be like JimmyD stated and sediment from the old coolant in your engine that has developed over time. Flush it real good and maybe go through the process again in a couple months to see what comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts