Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am to the point where I know I need to tear my carbs apart.

Symptoms: Runs great with full choke till it fouls out the plugs..... :) bogs at half choke and dies at no choke. I ran about a gallon of gas with a heavy mix of carb and fuel injector treatment ( my prayor in the wind ) to no avail

Question. I am little grey on bike carbs so I am asking first. What passage in the carb would be plugged since it is running like this?

I have manuals I am going to consult but I would like to educate myself along the way as to the how and why of things.

The little I have been running it has been AWSOME. Much power.......

85 ZN1100 btw

Was hoping to avoid this possible tear down because of cracked mounting boots that are going to break apart most likely..... hmmmmm wonder if they are already bleeding air in. But how to explain the fouling?
Back to the garage to look at the plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try the float needles. I am in the middle of cleaning a set myself and I found one of the needles was very corroded (sp?) to the point that the corrosion has gotten between the needle body and the rubber tip, thus screwing the float height up. The bike ran much like yours is. I would pull them off and just take them apart as far as you can and inspect everything, mainly the needle area. I shot carb cleaner in all of the passages and then blew compressed air through. Plugs were fouled also. I recommend using only quality fuel like Shell SU2000. I've been using this gas for years and my carbs have always been nice and clean ( I am fixing this bike for a buddy ). Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're running vacuum carbs - be sure you're running closed system - air cleaner installed and air box cover bolted on.

If not closed - will not run without choke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds to me like your primary jets are clogged m8. You can try blowing them out with compressed air but it wont take the coating of the primary jet.

I had the same problem on my EN500 (also had fuel runing back inot the airbox) and ended up with a tip from a kwacker mechanic. Cut a strand of a wire brush and use this to work out the crap in the jet.(Having removed it first) This will remove all the crap that builds up inside.

I know some will say about using a metal strand inside a brass jet but i can only speak from personal experience and it certainly worked for me.

hope this goes someway to helping you get going again m8. As I say, it worked for me and I'm still back on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts