Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to notice a gold like color on the inside of my chrome exhaust tips. I have an 06 Vulcan 900 with a big air kit, fi200, and Cobra speedster shorts. I have the FI2000 set at 2-1-1 and I still have popping on decel occasionally. I have not marbled the reeds yet but I am really wondering if I am still running rich. Any reason for concern by the color appearing on my exhaust tips? Any way to tell if I am running rich. I really cant imagine i am with the fuel processor turned down so far. I have read a lot of people who have theirs tuned a lot higher and the recommended settings from cobra are 4-2-1. Any help if greatly appreciated.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
From what I barely understand about these things, discoloration of the pipes might indicate more of a lean condition that anything else - same for the popping on deceleration.

Good luck sorting this one - please keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
You might have to do a "Plug chop" that is bring along your sparkplug tools and go for a ride, get up to about 35-40 mph,kill the engine and pull in the clutch at the same time.Coast to the side of the road(I like shady tree lined country roads myself).

This way you can see what the color is on the center electrode of the sparkplugs.WHITE is too lean,BLACK too rich, and LIGHT TAN about right.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
just clean them... :lol:

alternatively contact Cobra, tell them you're using their FI at the recommended settings and the endcaps have discoloured, and they'll probably ask you to send them back and they'll send you some new ones.

Cobra pipes have a lifetime warranty on the chrome.

my endcaps were pitting after just over a year. Emailed them and sent them back and they sent me some new ones, free of charge.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I can still clean the end caps but if I cant I will definitely send them back. I might also try the spark plug check. thanks for the opinions. I was hoping it would be as simple as yes thats rich or yes its lean change the settings but I guess its never that simple is it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts