Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the stock KZ750 shocks be dissassembled somehow? The book says no, but I want to try experimenting with them. I assume that by knocking the spring adjuster studs off, I can remove the springs. Any other ideas?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
You can knock the pin out at the top to get the spring off, but they are otherwise sealed.
76-80 KZ750 twin shocks are 12.5", 1980-1982 KZ750 four shocks are ~13", and ZRX1100/1200 shocks are 14.75".

Progressive makes good stock replacement shocks, but if you want the good stuff you have to go to Works Performance and fork over the $$$ (they start at $400). Or the real big $$$ for Ohlins.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not looking for new shocks, just want to play around with some old ones. Actually, getting the springs off is what I want to do. steell, I see no pin at the top that can be pulled. The spring is held at the top by a dished washer that can be pulled out if the spring is compressed, but I can't figure out how to compress the springs with what tools I have.

I can physically (and fairly easily) turn the springs against the shock bodies, so I doubt there is a lot of preload left, and I understand safety when working with springs.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Not looking for new shocks, just want to play around with some old ones. Actually, getting the springs off is what I want to do. steell, I see no pin at the top that can be pulled. The spring is held at the top by a dished washer that can be pulled out if the spring is compressed, but I can't figure out how to compress the springs with what tools I have.

I can physically (and fairly easily) turn the springs against the shock bodies, so I doubt there is a lot of preload left, and I understand safety when working with springs.
Polcat...Have you lost your mind? Im going going to give you an old truck lowering trick, but know that when you roll across a large bump....that piston shaft can go right through the piston and right on through the end of the shock barrel and into your leg! with that said you can either apply heat to the springs(this relieves the temper in the spring steel),and/or cut the springs to a shorter length causing the shock to out stroke its loading capibilities, makes my azz hurt thinking about it! Polcat, I dont mean to hack on you! I just dont want to see you kill yourself or your girl when that bike self destructs! I got all kinds of ugly pictures in my mind of you scattered across the road after crossing some railroad tracks causing that bike to blow apart! He11, PM me your address and Ill send you a pair of 10 inch shocks! If you aint too far away Ill weld that thing for you too!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Disassembly of the shock tube is not really possible as these are "hermetic". But to get the spring and other stuff off, push down hard on the can or shroud and the retaining mechanism on the shaft will be exposed. With the shock set to minimum preload, I used to be strong enough to do this by hand. But no more. Got to build levers and spring compressors. A makeshift compressor is two turnbuckles with hooks rather than eyelets. Don

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Sounds like you have aftermarket shocks, I have both 750 twin and 750 four shocks here, and they both come apart just like I said.

Progressive keeps their springs on with horseshoe washers, as do most aftermarket shocks, but not stock KZ shocks.

I have Koni shocks on my 750 twin, made a world of difference in the ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.