Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grünpflanzenmörder
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't Panic, not the wife, not the car or the workplace, BUT both of my bikes had to go.

The

Vulcan VN1500 Classic Tourer (what it is called in Germany) :

and the

Vulcan VN900 Custom :

had to go ! One found a new one and the other one went back to a Kawa dealership.
BUT, the sun went up again and today I was able to get my new one from the Kawa dealer.

Here it is, introducing my new ride :

2015 Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager :

pic from this morning at the dealer :

After 100 mls back home :

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Dnell

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
Wow, nice!! Congrats!!

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Yep, congrats! Divorce often has a silver lining!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Give us a review! I am thinking of buying one. One of the magazine writers criticized it for being heavy at low speeds, front end passing road feel through the bars, and engine being short on top end. Please tell me it isn't so!
I am also looking at the Victory Cross Tour, the new ones will be at the dealers in a couple of weeks, so I'll look at it then. I looked at the Indian Chieftain, but I just can't handle the God-awful old-timey valanced front fender, and the ancient technology push-rod engine. Hardley Ableson is out of the question, I can't handle tattoos, long hair, and doo-rags.

·
Grünpflanzenmörder
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give us a review! I am thinking of buying one. One of the magazine writers criticized it for being heavy at low speeds, front end passing road feel through the bars, and engine being short on top end. Please tell me it isn't so!
I am also looking at the Victory Cross Tour, the new ones will be at the dealers in a couple of weeks, so I'll look at it then. I looked at the Indian Chieftain, but I just can't handle the God-awful old-timey valanced front fender, and the ancient technology push-rod engine. Hardley Ableson is out of the question, I can't handle tattoos, long hair, and doo-rags.
So, what to say after 232 km till today. Okay, it is heavier than my old VN900 Custom and also about 60 Kilogramm more than the VN1500 I had. BUT, in my opinion it ride a lot better than both. The (seat)-comfort is great. Stereo and cruise control running fine and the first gas tank refill was 6,5 Liters per 100 Kilometers. So for me, it's okay. I had not the Feeling, that there is any passing road feel through the bars, but it will depend on the Quality of the roads you ride. Heavy ? What do you call heavy ? That things weighs 408 kilograms EMPTY, so yes, everything compared to the Walking Speed of a pedestrian could be a bit tricky, but isn't that tricky with almost any bike ? I have no Problem with that. Regarding the engine power, I can say, for me, it got enough power. Okay, the VN900 Custom had less horsepower but also 120kg less weight. Due to the six Speed transmisson the rpm drop nicely at Highway Speeds, so for the first 3 days, I'm absolutly satisfied.

Go to the dealership a have a testride. Someone else only can tell you his/her impressions, but not YOURS !

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you. I do intend to ride one in the next week or so.
I sometimes wonder how objective the magazine writers are. I suspect they are influenced by how much swag they collect from the manufacturers.
I wonder if the 2016 models will be any different than the current ones. I could not see any difference between the 2013 model and the 2015 model, except the price. The MSRP is lower on the 2015, but I'm sure the older ones still in dealer stock would be cheaper.
Also, the dealer may easier to deal with come fall, when the riding season is over for most people.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I took a Voyager test ride Wednesday, good and bad. It is a beautiful bike, but it was all I could do to get it off the kick stand. Heavy! Nearly dropped it at the first stop light, not only heavy, but top heavy. The ABS works great, smoother than most, the cruise control is excellent. I was surprised at the engine vibration, I could feel every firing of the cylinders. The sixth gear would not be useful at less than about 75 or 80 mph.
If I bought it, I wold surely drop it in the first week, and the highway bars and bag bars would not do much to protect the expensive looking plastic, nor would they help to pick it up. I had to take it back and admit it was too much bike for this old man to handle. A severe blow to my manly pride, but on the other hand, I saved over $16,00! :) My 2002 Vulcan 1500 Classic felt like a sports bike when I got back on it. I took it home and cleaned it up a bit and hugged it.

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
I took a Voyager test ride Wednesday, good and bad. It is a beautiful bike, but it was all I could do to get it off the kick stand. Heavy! Nearly dropped it at the first stop light, not only heavy, but top heavy. The ABS works great, smoother than most, the cruise control is excellent. I was surprised at the engine vibration, I could feel every firing of the cylinders. The sixth gear would not be useful at less than about 75 or 80 mph.
If I bought it, I wold surely drop it in the first week, and the highway bars and bag bars would not do much to protect the expensive looking plastic, nor would they help to pick it up. I had to take it back and admit it was too much bike for this old man to handle. A severe blow to my manly pride, but on the other hand, I saved over $16,00! :) My 2002 Vulcan 1500 Classic felt like a sports bike when I got back on it. I took it home and cleaned it up a bit and hugged it.
At least you gave it the good ol' college try ;), no shame in that. The last bike I checked out was a Kaw C14- took it back quickly with the comments, "too top heavy & too tall for me". A man's got to know his limitations...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Today I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE. I'll still be checking in here from time to time. Nice folks here! I haven't sold my Vulcan yet, I plan to list it tomorrow.

·
Grünpflanzenmörder
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE. I'll still be checking in here from time to time. Nice folks here! I haven't sold my Vulcan yet, I plan to list it tomorrow.
Congratz ! - or should I say my deepest condolences ?
Here in Germany we say, If you buy british (car or bike) you Need to buy two of them. One of them is still in the shop, so you could ride/drive the other -if you have luck and it is running !

Perhaps not, but that is the saying in Germany, like Harley, do you wanna ride or wrench ? Or Harley ? Ah, the Ikea bike ! Ikea ? Yes, there a missing screw anytime.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congratz ! - or should I say my deepest condolences ?
Here in Germany we say, If you buy british (car or bike) you Need to buy two of them. One of them is still in the shop, so you could ride/drive the other -if you have luck and it is running !

Perhaps not, but that is the saying in Germany, like Harley, do you wanna ride or wrench ? Or Harley ? Ah, the Ikea bike ! Ikea ? Yes, there a missing screw anytime.

Cu,
Sven
It's a shame the German's cant make an interesting bike.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
It's a shame the German's cant make an interesting bike.:)
A popular saying on this side of The Big Pond is that life's too short to own a German vehicle :shock:.

·
Grünpflanzenmörder
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ Mick56 & rbentnail :

You're both right. The only motorcycle we have is BMW and imo they look ugly and their Sound is more like a small Japan car - Sound like ****.
German cars ? Hm I only could Name a handful which are worth to own. I love the fullsize pickup trucks from Chevrolet or GMC or the Corvette or Camaro - that are cars in my opinion, but . . . you couldn't afford them here. Road taxes, fuel cost, etc.

So as a matter of fact, my Voyager got more engine displacement than my car.
1700cc bike vs. 1600cc Car.

:shock:

I miss my 1989 Chevy K5 Blazer 5,7 TBI and my 1995 Chevy K2500 ECSB 6,5TD, but they had to go . . .

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats! I did it too :D
Maybe will you write your review? I also recently divorced my ex-husband. We were together for 7 years and the last 2 years of our marriage were terrible. I knew that he cheated on me but I was afraid to divorce him because I never worked and only he provided for our family. However, the film 500 Days of Summer that I found on inspired me to take this step. Now I've started working in a small company and I still live with my parents, but I feel much better than when I was married to a cheater who didn't appreciate me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts