Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a '92 Ninja zx-750... i hear they come with some sort of tool kit htat's supposed to be near under the seat or something? Any ideas on the location or whether this info is true??

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean under the seat right next to the battery? Doesn't look like it's tthere... is it hidden? (please say it's hidden!! hahah)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
On my Ninja 600, it was in a small compartment by the rear tail light on the left side - flip up the plastic doo hickey and there you have it.

On the 900 it is right under the seat in plain sight.

Didn't look for the 250 yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Freakinout said:
It should have a toolkit, usually located underneat the seat. Sometimes they turn up missing (multiple owners).
What he said.

If you look under your seat, you will probably see a little empty space where the tool kit used to be. On my 250 it's in plain view right behind the battery.

If it ain't there, it ain't there. But that can be good. The factory tool kits are not real high-quality tools. At least they're not cheap Chinese steel, but they're still no where near the quality you need if you expect to actually use them. Now you can assemble your own kit of quality "MADE IN THE USA" tools. Don't buy a set of tools -- they have too many sizes that you don't need and don't have room to carry. Instead, buy just the exact sizes you need for your bike.

Home Depot's line of Husky tools are pretty cheap, and pretty good quality. Sears' Craftsman tools are not as good as they used to be, but they're still better than the cheap stuff. I think that the best hand tools are Snap-On and Mac, but get ready to pay up to 10 times what a Husky would cost you. Klein makes great screwdrivers and pliers.

Get a quarter inch ratchet and whatever sockets you need. My bike uses a lot of 8mm and 10mm bolts and nuts. My oil plug is 14mm. That's the biggest socket size available for most quarter inch ratchets, but it can be difficult to get the plug off the first time if all you have is a 1/4" ratchet. Get #2 and #3 Phillips screwdriver bits, and a socket to fit them. Since you already have a ratchet you only need the bits -- not the whole screwdriver. Get a good set of pliers. From there add on whatever other tools your bike needs, like Allen wrenches. A 1/4" flat screwdriver is handy for prying stuff. Get a tiny flashlight, too. Throw in a tire gauge, a rag, and your insurance card, and you're good to go.

My bike has the factory tool kit. But whenever I do any maintenance I always get out my good tools instead. I would be glad to sell you my tool kit for $20 so I can get quality tools to keep in my bike.

So take advantage of your problem and turn it into an opportunity.
Curt

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
slk23022 said:
Do you mean under the seat right next to the battery? Doesn't look like it's tthere... is it hidden? (please say it's hidden!! hahah)
On your bike it is supose to be in a black plastic tray over the top of your battery. Lots of people took them out, thus they were lost, because that is the only place on the bike to store anything. There isn't a back compartment. You can order a new tool set from Kawasaki, atleast the last time I checked I could get it for my '93 750.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Since it is probably missing - I would just upgrade your tool set. Instead of the typical 10mm, 12mm wrench I put a 1/4" ratchet in my kit with assorted socket sizes, extension, screwdriver,couple of allen wrenches - you get the idea, but if you ever need them they work better and faster than what came in that kit. I think new from the dealer the kits cost about $75.00 - Do you know what kind of set up you can get for $75.00

Heck for a cheapie at Walmart $10.00 buys you a 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet set with both metric and ASE sockets.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Since it is probably missing - I would just upgrade your tool set. Instead of the typical 10mm, 12mm wrench I put a 1/4" ratchet in my kit with assorted socket sizes, extension, screwdriver,couple of allen wrenches - you get the idea, but if you ever need them they work better and faster than what came in that kit. I think new from the dealer the kits cost about $75.00 - Do you know what kind of set up you can get for $75.00

Heck for a cheapie at Walmart $10.00 buys you a 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet set with both metric and ASE sockets.
Yeah, thats why I didn't order it, hehe. I have all the tools I need already, or in the case of the socket to remove the plugs I just made one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts