Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be in my head, but I went for 100 mile run today, and the 900 just ran so well. My cars run smoother when it's cold, so I suppose it's safe to say that the bike would also.

Maybe it's just that it was so invigorating to push on through the cold temps. The high was about 31 and the wind made it seem colder, but the bikes smooth cornering, and strong running made it so pleasurable.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear if others find their bikes running better in the cold. There is supposed to be a Polarbear run tomorrow, I hopw we don't get the snow that's in the forcast.

D

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
cold air is heavy and thicker, give your more volume to compress in the compression stroke thus making the air/fuel mixture more volitile

yep, you get more power in cooler air

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dave, I'm in Western NY and we are gettin a liitle snow right now. Im hopin for a foot so I can go ridin my snomobile. enough of the bikes already lol. really wish we lived more south so I could ride my bike longer. good luck with your polar bear run! sound fun! see ya, Honk

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
It may be in my head, but I went for 100 mile run today, and the 900 just ran so well. My cars run smoother when it's cold, so I suppose it's safe to say that the bike would also. <snip>

D
The ride with the most noticeable performance increase when the temps drop a bit is a small piston airplane. The dense air has more oxygen per cubic unit so the engine runs better, and the dense air allows the wings and propeller to work better too. Instead of climbing out at 500 ft/min, typical in the summer, my plane would often climb out at 1500ft/min in the winter. It was hard to believe the difference.

The motorcycle, while not climbing out faster (try to keep it firmly on the ground :eek: ), should see noticeable engine performance increase.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks guys. I figured it had something to do with the air. What a great feeling. The air in the tires must be affected also, because she was hugging those twisties tight.

Snow in NY, oh no, that means it's coming our way. Oh well, I road last year in a couple of lite snow squalls. The visability facter, and the reduced traction make the trip very slow going. But hey, someone has to show up at these Polarbear things. When it gets down to about 20, the number of polarbears seem to dwindle, and there is a lot of roast beef that would go to waste. :smile:

D

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
But I'm still running with Fall air. I haven't had time to change it yet:biggrin:
Several years ago when this big 6 year old was 3.5, after I had finished changing the oil in my wife's car I came out to the garage to find Connor letting the air out of a tire. When I asked him what he was doing he replied changing mommies air! It still makes me chuckle.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good job, share family memories because that was us, however many years ago. You never know what you may start, and let them figure it out for each.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cold Weather = God's Intercooler!

My little turbo cage SCREAMS in the cold!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I love how well my bike runs in colder air but I tend to need some hot coffee now and then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Engines are an odd thing....they operate best in weather that inhibits operating the vehicles they are installed in.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In the cold air my car feels like it has 50 more hp, but the downside is traction disappears in the first 3 gears on the cold pavement! The same loss of traction will be true for motorcycle tires as they are also high-perf rubber.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Engines are an odd thing....they operate best in weather that inhibits operating the vehicles they are installed in.
Not when they are in sleds. I have a 05 800 Polaris RMK that is piped, ported, bored, power domed, clutched,reeded,lightened an will scare you when you nail the flipper, when it is below 20 it scares me:biggrin: ! It is currently 19 degrees an we have no snow! Too cold to ride the Vulcan, no snow to fly the Polaris:mad: So I surf the web.

Keith

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Yup, love that cold air in the intake, makes er run gooooooooooood!!

Went for a short ride today, high was about 43. Mucho fun! Goin for a longer ride tomorrow, highs about 40. Can't wait!! :biggrin: 8)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well thanks guys. I figured it had something to do with the air. What a great feeling. The air in the tires must be affected also, because she was hugging those twisties tight.
The pressure in your tires will drop as the temperature drops. You should really check your tires and put more air in if needed. The only reason I can think of your bike handling better in the cold is if you are running too much pressure in the first place and the cold air knocked it down to the appropriate level.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The pressure in your tires will drop as the temperature drops. You should really check your tires and put more air in if needed. The only reason I can think of your bike handling better in the cold is if you are running too much pressure in the first place and the cold air knocked it down to the appropriate level.
I run with 40 to 41 psi all year. My tires still look relatively new at 4000 miles. I check the air preasure weekly. They loose a little more when it's cold, so I check them every other day or so. I'm sure the ground is not that cold yet for reduced traction. When it gets below 30, and stays there for a few days, I know to watch out. The moisture in the air will fall to the ground and freeze on the surface. I think I was just in a really good mood today, and so was me bike:tongue:

D

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I remember this day how well the bike ran and it was a bit nippy with all the snow on the ground.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts