Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '86 GPz900 shop manual says I need to check my valve clearances at the same intervals as oil changes. Do I REALLY have to? What would y'all recommend?

I just got the bike, it has about 27k on the clock. It seems to be very well maintained mechanically (though not so much cosmetically. I pulled the valve cover today and replaced the spark plug gaskets. Valve cover gasket was good, camshaft lobes were not pitted, oil was new, and all fluids were new and at the correct levels. Swapped spark plugs (even though they look new), and tomorrow I will be reinstalling the (now cleaned) carbs, and replacing the spark plug wires.

I didn't have the tools to check the valve clearances today so I just reassembled it without. It was a PITA to get the cover off: I had to remove the thermostat....

But anyway--should I bother to check the clearances before I ride it? And at what interval should I be checking them?

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd check 'em m8, sadly that's the ball-ache with screw-and-locknut adjusters, much easier to adjust than shims but need checking regularly, sorry :(

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
If it was my bike, I wouldn't..........but i can not with a clear conscious tell you to go against the time interval the manual suggests.

If my bike was out of adjustment in 3,000 miles though, I would look into why it went so quickly.
I set the valves on a lot of bikes, and never seen them go out in 3K miles unless the seats were bad or something was bad.

My personal bikes get neglected, likely because I fix them for a living, and so I do my own more like every 12,000 to 15,000 miles for checks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts