Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clutch? Europeans are gay

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading another thread started making me wonder... I was under the impression that the majority of sportbike riders used the clutch all the time... instead on that thread of the people who answered it seemed all of them only used the clutch for downshifting. Therefore I'm interested to know how many of us use the clutch all the time as opposed to some of the time.

2 questions I would like answered as well are:

1) Does clutchless shifting reduce the life of the tranny?

2) What is the exact technique for clutchless shifting? Do you need to get off the gas completely? Partially? Can you shift clutchless when under full power? Is there an ideal rev range to do this in or does it work the same at all revs?

Thanks in advance :smile:

·
Banned
880 Posts
Reading another thread started making me wonder... I was under the impression that the majority of sportbike riders used the clutch all the time... instead on that thread of the people who answered it seemed all of them only used the clutch for downshifting. Therefore I'm interested to know how many of us use the clutch all the time as opposed to some of the time.

2 questions I would like answered as well are:

1) Does clutchless shifting reduce the life of the tranny?

2) What is the exact technique for clutchless shifting? Do you need to get off the gas completely? Partially? Can you shift clutchless when under full power? Is there an ideal rev range to do this in or does it work the same at all revs?

Thanks in advance :smile:
There was an article not to long ago in Sport Rider about this, gave technique and everything. Pretty much just said to match speed with revs. It was within the last few issues i think. I think it also said something like, if its done right it wont hurt the clutch or something like that but i dont trust myself enough yet.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much just said to match speed with revs.
Yes, I've heard that said before, but it doesn't mean much to me. I understand matching speed with revs if you're downshifting and blipping the throttle... but I don't see how that could be applied when upshifting...

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Unless I've got my cell phone in my hand or am eating the burrito I just picked up at Taco de burrito.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Risk outweighs reward for me. I just use the darned clutch.

But I have upshifted without it accidentally a couple times. Was wiping bug carnage off my visor one time using my left hand, and my brain didn't tell my right hand and my foot that my left hand wasn't ready. DOH!

·
Banned
880 Posts
Yes, I've heard that said before, but it doesn't mean much to me. I understand matching speed with revs if you're downshifting and blipping the throttle... but I don't see how that could be applied when upshifting...

it had to do something with applying a little pressure to the shift lever before shifting while matching revs. you would have to read the article cause i sure cant explain it.:D

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But I have upshifted without it accidentally a couple times. Was wiping bug carnage off my visor one time using my left hand, and my brain didn't tell my right hand and my foot that my left hand wasn't ready. DOH!
LOL.

Only time it happened to me was when I was trying wheelies, and at some stage my foot just acted independently of the rest of my body and just decided it was a good time to shift into 2nd!

Funnily enough that is the smoothest gear change I've ever done!!! Didn't even realize I'd shifted gears until I looked at my speed and revs and realized I couldn't have been in 1st anymore...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it had to do something with applying a little pressure to the shift lever before shifting while matching revs. you would have to read the article cause i sure cant explain it.:D
I did a search on the Sport Rider website, I found one article which talked only of blipping the throttle on downshifts. If that's the same article you're referring to, then yes, rev matching comes into play. But I'd like to know what (if there is one) is the "proper" technique to UPSHIFT without using the clutch.

Thanks anyway :smile:

·
Banned
880 Posts
oh man, now im really wanting to find this article, i have it at my house. I did a search too and i think i found the article but for some reason when i click on it itll say theres nothing found. Ive only been getting Sport Rider for the last 8 months or so, so i know its been a fairly recent article. Ill look when i get home today and see if i can find what issue.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Generally speaking, I use the clutch most of the time. Just out of habit more than anything else. Though I do, on occassion, do clutchless shifts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with upshifting clutchles, providing it is done correctly!!! As long as the your revs are in an appropriate range, you should have a perfectly smooth shift. If it doesn't feel like your 'forcing' it into gear, you should be fine. My understanding is that this is just natural for a 'sequential' style gearbox. Don't quote me though, since I have no facts to back this up. Only personal experiance. But talk to 90% of people racing motorcycles (roadrace, MX, drag, whatever) and very fey use the clutch on an upshift.

I can easily do it on any of my bikes. The high-reving I4's are the easiest, since their spinning much faster than the twins do. But even the Meanie does it rather easily above 3,000 RPM.

But I still use the clutch 95% of the time. Not because I feel I have to, but just out of habit. It's basicaly muscle-memory. Just like my father, who still 'double-clutches' his shifts in a car, from years of old trucks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In over 20 years of riding sport bikes and riding them the way they were meant to be......I have never found the need to do clutchless shifts. I know how and can do it well, but there is just no need to do it. If it is not done perfectly....tranny damage will result. If you feel you must, on the up shift, have a little pressure against the shifter, accelerate to desired rpm, let off the throttle slightly (not all the way or shifts will be jerky), raise your foot shifting into the next gear and then back on the throttle quickly. j

Save yourself some heartache and use the clutch. You can shift just as fast if you know what you are doing.

·
Banned
880 Posts
In over 20 years of riding sport bikes and riding them the way they were meant to be......I have never found the need to do clutchless shifts. I know how and can do it well, but there is just no need to do it. If it is not done perfectly....tranny damage will result. If you feel you must, on the up shift, have a little pressure against the shifter, accelerate to desired rpm, let off the throttle slightly (not all the way or shifts will be jerky), raise your foot shifting into the next gear and then back on the throttle quickly. j

Save yourself some heartache and use the clutch. You can shift just as fast if you know what you are doing.

This is almost exactly what the article said...a little pressure on shifter, etc..
I shift pretty fast on my ol' 95 zx6r and its not very jerky or anything.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Poll is missing one option: I use the clutch most of the time, but go clutchless for aggressive acceleration now and then. So I didn't vote :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No need to get that extra 0.09 seconds on your 0-60 by clutchless shifting unless you're on the track.

I dont have a problem with it, if you do. Myself, I'd rather replace a clutch than split a crankcase. Just don't tell the newbies it's way super faster if you shift without the clutch, then justify it with less clutch wear.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Poll is missing one option: I use the clutch most of the time, but go clutchless for aggressive acceleration now and then. So I didn't vote :mrgreen:
Same for me.....I use the clutch about 70-80% of the time....other times I do not use it for shifting up or down.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Magazine journalists (aka comic book writers) don't rebuild transmissions as a rule. I do, I use the clutch.
I laughed. Articles in moto magazines never seem to mention the amount of damage the journalists do to the bikes when they do their "shootouts", do they?

"Well, the bike wouldn't quite make it up to the claimed 16 000 RPM redline. After contacting Yamaondasakiuki's reps and being provided with a new bike, we were back on the tarmac and we aren't even following break-in procedure."

I can only hope I'm given a new bike with no questions asked, when my bike fails under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts