Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a group ride on Saturday with a few people I know and a few I didn’t. I can’t say that I have spent a lot of time riding in larger groups, or that I would prefer ride in such a group… I’d rather ride alone or in a small group.

Anyway, the group Saturday totaled about 25 bikes, and was comprised of a mix of HD and metrics, all cruisers, and most two-up. Most of the guys ride together at least once a month, and some a couple of times a week. We stayed below the speed limit for most of the ride, ranks were kept close, too close for me at times, and generally these guys knew what they were doing… but there was this one guy (there always is right?) that was just all over the place. He couldn’t keep pace, he was either too fast or to slow, couldn’t maintain position in the lane, couldn’t hold a line in a turn, and was down right dangerous. For the first leg he was in front of me. After our first stop I moved up in the pack trying get away from him, but he ended up right behind me. His riding skills (or lack of skills) made me uncomfortable.

We arrived at our destination, had some lunch, milled around a bit and then most of the group headed back north to avoid riding in the dark. A hand full of us stayed and continued to enjoy ourselves.

For the ride back we took the same route but it was much more fun. Loose formation (except in traffic), averaged over the speed limit, bursts up to 90mph, and only one stop for fuel.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Yeh, I can pretty much get by without ever going on a large group ride again. I just don't care for large group dynamics, regardless of the group.

My Wife and I like to either ride alone, or with a few close friends who's riding style we are very familiar with.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Went on a group ride on Saturday with a few people I know and a few I didn’t. I can’t say that I have spent a lot of time riding in larger groups, or that I would prefer ride in such a group… I’d rather ride alone or in a small group.
Group rides is da ****! :wink:
We do it all the time, but of course there's always one moron that thinks he's doing everything right... :lol:
The only right thing to do is to tell him/her. He/she might actually think that he/she IS doing everything right...

·
Bovine Scatology Artist
197 Posts
Biggest one I've ridden so far was over 200 bikes, and that was way too many. Was for a good cause, but a few too many for my taste. Of course, there were the obligatory "too cool for school" riders, but the majority were OK. There's a group of about 6-8 of us who ride together, and that's about right for me.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A guy I always ride with is like that. He always leads because he's usually the one to organize the rides and know where he's going. But he sucks at staying in position. We'll ride stagger and he'll lead and he'll be in the right of the lane for a bit then switch to the left and then the center and so on. I usually always ride tail in those rides. It's sort of funny watching the entire line of bike switch positions every time he does. I've told him about it but he just doesn't get it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,391 Posts
I don't mind group riding 5-8 bikes with people i know and trust. larger groups 10+ just get too scarey especially if people you don't know or know their abilities or style are concerned.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2thdr,

According to others in the group he does not drink.

Rubbe,

I didn't say anything to him, but did mention it to someone else and was advised to just keep my distance. His eratic behavior is apparently just how he rides.

Clarkey,

Yes, more like work... good way to put it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I kinda like the group I ride with. We generally meet up on the east side of town and go farther into Missouri. When we return I'm the farthest guy west. One or two at a time bikes will peel off the group heading their own way till it's finally just me riding off into the sunset. It's kinda cool.

A safety officer and education usually takes care of our troublesome riders.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Group rides are fun depending on how many riders are going and the route.

Trying to keep 10 - 30+ people together on the highway or through many towns is rough.

Staying at or below the speed limit will give you a better shot of keeping everyone together and you will not push someone beyond their limits.

If the leader takes off like a bat out of H#ll and someone with slightly less skills tries to keep the pace, it is a formula for disaster.

Long stretches of two lane roads with minimal stops (red lights, signs, etc) and towns are the best.

I usually have a standing rule that if you want to rip some tires or scrape some floorboards (pegs), go man go! Just wait for us at the next stop / route change.

I thought the purpose of group rides was so everyone could have fun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I guess I'm and old fuddy i know my reflexes and reaction times are not what they were when I was 20 so group rides unnerve me too much to enjoy so I only ride with one rider and we can keep the same spread we do around any traffic doesn't make the ride any less enjoyable just more relaxing

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Sounds like a leadership problem. In my VRA chapter, my tailgunner keeps track of who the laggards are for me. I'm usually leading and while I can usually keep track of the group, I'm not able to reliably identify who's consistently getting things too spread out.

We're going to start moving the slow folks up to the front rather than to the rear. That way I can more easily keep the pace right for everyone. If there are issues that can't be resolved easily, our ride leaders have uncontested authority to ask riders to leave the ride for the safety of the group. If we need to have smaller rides to help with skills development we'll do that. That's why we have initial qualification rides.

Things are much easier with a group that rides often with each other. My meetup.com group is usually the exact opposite -- different people every ride and when it gets over a dozen riders, it can get hectic.

8-10 bikes is certainly my favorite ride size.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.