Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

done with my msf class! questions

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Tyrant 
#1 ·
finished my msf class and it was pretty fun. it was just boring cause we had to do questions and find answers for like 2 hours straight :shock: . but the range days were BADASS.

i just have a question about the waiver they are going to mail to me. is that like the permit paper or license? plus the instructors said i still have to take a written test at the dmv, which i plan on going sometime this week.

and about the clutch and gear shifting. i never really got that part down, but on the 125cc bike i was on, i just shifted gears when my rpm was high enough. im not sure if i was suppose roll of the throttle, grab the clutch, then change gears then roll on throttle again? or is it ok to just change gears?

im planning on getting a new 2005 500r black ninja in 4-6 weeks, so im a happy camper :D

#2 ·
KTKwong said:
and about the clutch and gear shifting. i never really got that part down, but on the 125cc bike i was on, i just shifted gears when my rpm was high enough. im not sure if i was suppose roll of the throttle, grab the clutch, then change gears then roll on throttle again? or is it ok to just change gears?

:D
Dude.... You need to get used to that clutch when shifting... you might get away with it on that little 125 in a parking lot, but in the real world on a 500 you'll need to ride and operate it properly. Just keep practicing using the clutch when shifting. It's easy...clutch in... back off the throttle alittle while shifting up....clutch out and throttle up at the same time...Eventually it will become so common you won't even think about it. But use that clutch....or before you know it....you be replacing a shift drum and shift forks...and they're not cheap...

#4 ·
KTKwong said:
oh aiiite i see, or i can just throttle down, clutch in, shift up, roll on throttle, and slowly release the clutch too right? thanks for the info hiker, ill be practicing soon :D
Clutch in ....throttle back alittle and shift at the same time... clutch out and at the same time you throttle up...

#7 ·
KTKwong said:
i just have a question about the waiver they are going to mail to me. is that like the permit paper or license? plus the instructors said i still have to take a written test at the dmv, which i plan on going sometime this week.

:D
What you will need to do is present the certificate of completion at your local DMV office. This will negate the fact that you must pass an actual driving test, however you must still pass the written test for motorcycles and one for the vehicle code on cars so study both before taking the test or you might not pass.

#9 ·
you sure you took the MSF course?

If so, they didn't teach you how to use a clutch?
And they didn't give you the waiver at the place?
And you were bored while learning the basics/safetly in class?

This may be wrong...but you may be a bad candidate for riding...

#10 ·
I`m with Stu on this one ; You better get real familiar real fast with that clutch and throttle!!! If you plan on riding in LA traffic for very long , because you won`t last long operating the bike like that. What are you gaining 400 to 600 rpm by not backing off of the throttle? First to second gear ought to be a hoot on your new bike . good luck

#11 ·
oh alright i get it. and stu, it was boring during the class time. because we were just sitting there, answering questions, then watching video, then answering questions, watching video, etc. and yeah, they told me that they would mail the waiver to me.. i think maybe cause we had a lot of people in the class, and it was also in North Hollywood where i took the class. they just want to get thier work done, i guess mailing it is faster for them, or easier.

btw adam, i already got my license, so i just take the written test and turn in waiver, and im good to go

#12 ·
I can remember when I took my MSF course. I had a HUGE edge over everyone there because A: I learned how to drive a clutch before I could legaly drive on a road, B: I had been riding motorcycles for about a year before the course.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that just about every person there couldn't shift well at all. By the time we finished they kinda figured it out and could get to 2nd alright but shifting is not something you can teach/learn. Its more of an art. Its a skill developed over time. I don't think you are a bad candidate for riding. You just need to practice. I would suggest staying off the conjested roads aswell. Practice on some side streets or parking lots. Its alot different when you have to worry about what the guy next to you might do let alone if you think you can shift up or down right.

#13 ·
KTKwong said:
oh alright i get it. and stu, it was boring during the class time. because we were just sitting there, answering questions, then watching video, then answering questions, watching video, etc. and yeah, they told me that they would mail the waiver to me.. i think maybe cause we had a lot of people in the class, and it was also in North Hollywood where i took the class. they just want to get thier work done, i guess mailing it is faster for them, or easier.

btw adam, i already got my license, so i just take the written test and turn in waiver, and im good to go
No - when you add an endorsement for the CA license you will again take your car written test. It will be a small sample like 25 questions. I believe by Ca. law or per DMV the certificate must be mailed to you. By the way they covered that in your class as well. Must have missed that part about mailing it to you.

#14 ·
Congrats on your completion of the MSF class. Now you can save on insurance! Some places will even discount their riding gear.

I'm not sure if it's the same in CA, in my case the certificate was mailed to me, then I went to take the written permit test and got my permit for "class 2 vehicle" (probably different code in Cali). Later I had to presented my permit and my waiver from MSF to the DMW and they made me an all new license with "Motorcycle and Passenger vehicle" qualification on it.

#16 ·
RagDoll_Kunoichi said:
Congrats on your completion of the MSF class. Now you can save on insurance! Some places will even discount their riding gear.

I'm not sure if it's the same in CA, in my case the certificate was mailed to me, then I went to take the written permit test and got my permit for "class 2 vehicle" (probably different code in Cali). Later I had to presented my permit and my waiver from MSF to the DMW and they made me an all new license with "Motorcycle and Passenger vehicle" qualification on it.
His new license will have a class "M" endorsement (CA)
Thats pretty cool that some of the shops on the island discount their stuff for MSF riders!

#17 ·
Green Knight said:
I can remember when I took my MSF course. I had a HUGE edge over everyone there because A: I learned how to drive a clutch before I could legaly drive on a road, B: I had been riding motorcycles for about a year before the course.
I had the same advantage. I had been racing motorcross for years before I took my MSF course.

#18 ·
i say ( if you have it avalible) learn how to drive a stick car.. i found that driving a manual was a big help for me... Cuz when i finally got a bike my friends where like your gona stall your bike out all the time... well i never did and picked up bike shifting like in a matter of minutes cuz i found that driving a stick car gives you the concept of gear shifting on a bike and bike shifting is jsut hell of alot easyer.... jsut dont do what i did once.. go to upshift but down shift instead.. it makes for a really scarey situation... :D

#20 ·
Congrats on completing the Safety Course

Don't forget to send a copy of your certificate to your insurance company...most will give you a discount. :D

Using a clutch is very important. Did you have a slow race in the Course???? we did....its a good way to practice using the clutch. In addition to the tips everyone has given you...I would like to add that it is not a good idea to shift up or down in gears in the middle of a curve ...I had my rear wheel spin out on me one time...didn't weck, but almost lost control. So I down shift prior to going into a curve. Don't know if anyone else does it

Heather

#21 ·
it fully depends on the RPM's you're turning out, you don't want them so high that you go flying but you also don't want them so low you can grip anything, stay in the powerband of each gear as much as possible

#22 ·
Exercise

There is an exercise where you do circles, very tight ones where you are setting almost directly upright, and nearly on the tank, and use the clutch, throttle and rear brake all at the sae time to make very tight circles...in both directions for realy tight places like parking lots and around very tight acess areas...if you don't understand what I'm trying to explain ask again...someone will try to explain better than I just tried...but it is a MUST for tight spots when you ride...

#23 ·
:D I am sure this has been made clear but, the MSF certificate saves you from the actual riding portion of your M1, you still need the written part. I only took the motorcycle written because I had just renewed my class C. Anyway, I am now working on shifting without the clutch as I get ready to start canyon riding. Ride safe!

#25 ·
you sure you took the MSF course?

If so, they didn't teach you how to use a clutch?
And they didn't give you the waiver at the place?
And you were bored while learning the basics/safetly in class?

This may be wrong...but you may be a bad candidate for riding...
I haven't even taken the course yet, and even I am agreeing with Stuart. If you aren't comfortable with shifting gears, imagine the catastrophies that could unfold at higher speeds. In a car you might walk away, but on a motorcycle...

And they should have given you the certificate in class if you passed.

On a side note, in VA, the class exempts you from both the riding AND written tests :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.