Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to have my bike painted at a friends garage as a favor. They said if I stripped it myself and picked up the paint, it would be next to nothing. So I went to a local automotive bodyshop paint supplier and asked for a stripper that wold work on plastics, but not be too hars for the plastics. "This will work great. Just lay out all your pieces and spray it on all of them. By the time you finish spraying the last one, start rinsing or rubbing the paint off the first one." I found them to be helpful and took their advice. I did as they said and when I went back to the first one, I noticed the plastic flaking so I immediately rinsed all the pieces and sanded them for about 8 hours total. Brought them into the body shop and they had to send them out to have them media blasted to bring back a smooth texture. My buddies at the body shop said that due to the stripper I used, it would cost and extra $600 to restore the plastics, but I would be better off using new plastics. I got a call and they said it wasn't as bad as it looks and everything was fine with hours of sanding.Now its only going to be an extra $400. I was extremely pi$$ed off and went back to the paint supplier and asked for the owner. He told me that he is not responsible because his workers don't know what they are talking about and I am supposed to be the professional, not them. I asked him if he would be mad if his doctor messed up a surgery and said it was because his assistants weren't professionals. He really didn't know what to say. After arguing with him for an hour and showing him just one piece, I eventually got him to cut a check to the body shop for the additional labor. I found it to be funny that his excuse was that everyone that works there is dumb. It took an extra week but i get the pieces back tomorrow....can't wait to see the result. I don't know many peope with a lime green 500R.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What a nightmare. Hope it all turns out well. I guess I'll do research on the net rather than rely on one shops opinion when the day comes for me to paint. Thanks for sharing though...

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
oh, I can't wait to see that bike....

Def won't be able to miss it as you drive through Little Falls.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
When things like this happen its good to share, it puts a message out there to all of us.....thanks for the post!! :)
However I am sorry to hear of the mess you went through... :evil:
Lime Green.....good "KAWI" choice!! :wink:
Post pics under "your ride" fourm when you can....

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
that is a horror story for sure! Its funny how the owner was quick to call his staff "idiots"...am I using the word correctly?

·
Registered
605 Posts
lol, but I'm sure if one of his friends had gone in there to apply and said btw, i'm an idiot but that shouldn't be a problem right?....I'm sure he would've been hired.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Which begs the question......how smart is the owner for hiring the "idiots"? :roll:

Lemme guess....wasn't his fault, it was the idiot doing the hiring? :wink:

At least he made it good. 8)

Good luck with the painting. Lets hope THEY are more "professional".

·
Registered
605 Posts
what do you mean, wait for it to STOP RAINING!!!!! GET THE PARTS AND THE BIKE IN A GARAGE...I don't care who's it is, just get it in there, put it together and get me MY PICTURES :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sweet! That is the color I wished Kawa made them in when I looked at mine!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Me likes!!!!!!!

Will look even better on your scooter!!!!!!!!

Good choice of colors.

Ken

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad everyone likes it. I got some sweet decals to add to it too. Now only if I had a rear seat cowl and a full faring I'd be set. I think I'll have a pretty sweet custom looking 500 though!!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
color

that color looks a lot better than i was expecting, nice choice. that was a pain going through that, but at least he made good on the money, that's a shocker ! can't wait to see the assembled bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats a sweet paint job for sure. I was thinking of painting my EX500 the same color but I would like to have the origanal (replacment) decals back on it. Does anyone know if they are availble and where I could get them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts