Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing some help!! My son who is in college and called to tell me he bought a 2001 kx125 from a friend. He is bringing it home and wanted to do some maintenance on the bike. I am wanting to know where to find a owners manual ASAP!!

Need to know: What brand of oil to get? Ratio to mix?

What type of gear oil? How much?

Type of engine coolant?

Air filter? Change it? How to clean it?

Can anyone help??????? Thanks we are brand new to this site today and hope we can get some answers. We live in Dallas. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
1) Everybody has their own favorite 2 stroke oil- any good one will work. 32:1 or 40:1 will work.
2) Once again everybody has their favorite brand. 10w-40 motorcycle oil and Type F ATF are two common ones. It holds less than a quart and there is a sight glass in the side of the case to check it.
3) Anti-freeze for an aluminum engine.
4)Clean and re-oil it. Bike shops sell a kit with cleaner, oil and grease to seal it to the housing.

Opinions are just like bellybuttons- everybody has one and you'll get numerous ones from the bforum members.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much for your help. I will check into the things you said. Do I need to put equal parts of anti freeze into the radiator?

also, there is a little bit of oil leaking from the front sprocket, it this an easy and fixable thing?? Or no big deal? It seems to be coming from the area of the front sprocket.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
By equal parts of anti-freeze, do you mean 50/50 mix with water? If that is the question, it depends on your anti-freeze. Never run cheap automotive coolant in MX bikes, the silica in the cheap stuff will shred the water pump seals.

The oil leak by the output shaft is a normal thing to happen and it is easy to replace. To replace it, remove the chain and front sprocket. Then get a hooked pick and pull the old seal out. Place the new seal on the shaft the same direction the other came out. Now, take a deep well socket that is about the same size of the seal(That fits over the shaft), and push the seal into place with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much, this forum has been tremendously helpful, I am not at all mechanically inclined. I will give it a try.

How often you do feel the bike needs a tune up? Or to have piston, rings or other things replace? Let us assume that they are in fine working order. My son will not race this bike just yet, wants to learn how to care for it and ride first.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The bike needs a tune up whenever it isnt running right(So helpful, huh?) Keep an eye on the air screw, it is your best friend when the temps change. A change in temperature over 15* will require adjustment for optimal performance.

At least once a year, disassemble and grease the head bearings grease the rear shock linkage, grease swingarm bearings and pivot, put a thin layer of grease on the engine mount bolts(to prevent seizure), repack the silencer, clean the carburetor, clean the power valves, inspect the reeds, and change coolant and brake fluid.

To determine when to rebuild the top end, you need to get a compression tester. When the compression goes below 120PSI, the engine needs to be rebuilt soon.

This may sound like a pain in the arse to have to do all of this, but believe me, you will have fun working on the bike with your son, and he will learn a lot about machines. Oh yeah, get a repair manual(Cheapest on eBay.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts