Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Air Force Vet
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of the Drifter i made out of a standard vulcan 800. I never liked the way Kawi did the seat and fender on the factory bikes so i made my own. The nice thing about this bike is it has a normal seat and all standard Vulcan classic parts will interchange. That and its the only one on earth like it! A few months ago someone wanted some pics so here they are and a brief description of the work done. If you have any questions i will try and answer them.

I saw one or 2 shows when Jesse James was making fenders so i figured if he could do it so could i.......he made it look so quick and easy! NOT! I finally got the rear one made after many many hours and lots of beer! No i dont want to do another one even though i kept the cardboard patterns. The front is a stock Drifter fender that i modified to fit the standard 800 front end. The forks had to be machined ,welded and retapped. The saddle bags have been redone with a steel frame inside with fringe and spots addded. They will haul the weight now and wont sag! I added 1 extra tooth to the front sprocket for a more relaxed cruise. Lots of other small things were done or painted etc. After about 7 months of work the Seminole red paint was dry everything was put back together and she was and ready to ride. I find it hard to believe over 4 years have passed since i finished this bike. Time sure flies!

Many people have said thats a beautifull bike, even some hardcores like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I ride a Drifter 800 and recently saw another Bike that had been 'Drifter-ized', a Honda Aero 1100. That Bike had also been fringed out and modded like the 48' Indian Chief. I like your take on the Drifter better. Ride On!
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

·
Air Force Vet
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i forgot to add the small matching decals on the tank and helmet say Drifter not Indian. I love Old Indians this is just my idea of a cross between the two. Sad that Kawasaki nor Indian builds bikes like this anymore!

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
AWESOME work, looks great!!! And you are definitely right... sad they don't make 'em any more... If I couldn't find the right, authentic Indian, I'd love a new Drifter... but...

Is your rear fended mounted on the swingarm now? Hard to tell... does it move with the suspension or still rigid mounted to the frame?

·
Air Force Vet
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments! The rear fender mounts to the frame and does not move it is made from 22ga steel. Alot of hammering and sweat and grinding and welding went into that fender! I still havent found the exact tail light i want. In due time i guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are some pics of the Drifter i made out of a standard vulcan 800. I never liked the way Kawi did the seat and fender on the factory bikes so i made my own. The nice thing about this bike is it has a normal seat and all standard Vulcan classic parts will interchange. That and its the only one on earth like it! A few months ago someone wanted some pics so here they are and a brief description of the work done. If you have any questions i will try and answer them.

I saw one or 2 shows when Jesse James was making fenders so i figured if he could do it so could i.......he made it look so quick and easy! NOT! I finally got the rear one made after many many hours and lots of beer! No i dont want to do another one even though i kept the cardboard patterns. The front is a stock Drifter fender that i modified to fit the standard 800 front end. The forks had to be machined ,welded and retapped. The saddle bags have been redone with a steel frame inside with fringe and spots addded. They will haul the weight now and wont sag! I added 1 extra tooth to the front sprocket for a more relaxed cruise. Lots of other small things were done or painted etc. After about 7 months of work the Seminole red paint was dry everything was put back together and she was and ready to ride. I find it hard to believe over 4 years have passed since i finished this bike. Time sure flies!

Many people have said thats a beautifull bike, even some hardcores like it!
Beautiful bike brother! I just recently bought a vn800b. I love the look of the drifter though. I wish I could get my hands on those cardboard patterns so I could make my own, or pay you handsomely to make me some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts