Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AIRBOX

NO! You can gain some just a squeek, but it is give and take...try to have your airfilter held in place and run without the lid...it just doesn't work. Everything is give and take. Replacing your airfilter with a good one is the best thing that you can do. Looking at it from another win/lose situation...if you have an airbox and it rains or it is muddy the water or mud settles to the botom of the airbox and if you are just running airpods they don't have the restrictive passage so the water, mud sand, dust goes directly to them and you are replacing them more often and or running to rich because they are plugged up or very dirty in just one pass. If you change to airpods or go to extreme no lid or open up for to much air you will be running to lean. Just like an airplane engine or a car engine even your bike it will run to hot. then you run into pre-ignition and all sorts of bad things. You can change the running lean to normal settings by readjusting or rejetting your carb(S). same thing if you change out the entire exhaust system. everything has to be run so that the fuel/air mixture is at the correct ratio. it's hard to explain, but even race cars at a local race track will be adjusting their carbs before a race because the change in Barometric (weather or altitude) changes. If you set up your bike, tuned it perfectly in SanDiego, California (Sea Level) and then put the bike in the truck and took it to Denver, Colorado, it would have to be tuned again. THe carbs can't adjust themselves like the Electronic Control Unit (computer), and Electronic Fuel Injection can. The old fashion racers still like Carbs that you can adjust to a very precise setting depending upon lots of factors like the actual fuel being used, the blend of it and so forth that an O2 sensor couldn't sort out. Alcohols, and other things used in racing fuels... anyway...in short...just get a great filter, keep it very clean, and adjust your carbs........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for that, it wasnt anything i was considering but me and my friend(who has a 2003 raptor) were disputing. i was of course the victor in this battle. :p

I got my new bike!! Its a 2002 cr 125, but dont worry i kept my kx so i'm not a complete trater.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Largest benifit

the best bang for th buck is te right gearing for what ever course you are riding on and the best tires. You will see different tires even fo r stock cars on a dirt track for different conditions. When you go to a race track...dirt track look i the trailers of the guys that race all of ht time and you will see every combination of gearing and half-dozen rear tires. From packed clay nearly bald tires, to the water-slimebog almost paddle tires...you want to outrun yor buddy and always leave him in hte dust or roost of mud...keep the right tires and change your gears so that you are in the proper RPM range when you are riding! Good luck, and don't forget that a clean bike works less than a dirty bike because of all the mud (thermal barriers) that are working against it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
air box

there is two sides to every story, u didnt win yet. on the ex500 forum there is plenty of riders who benefited from the mod, even getting two extra hp by getting k&n, drilling hole next to stock hole and adjusting pilot screws. even without k&n and pilot screws there has been claims of better acceleration throughout pwer band and no negative effects. not looking to argue, just telling u what others have claimed and also by some very expirienced riders. if it didnt work, u could tape off hole[ just part of tuning] later guys!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
it all depends on how the bike is jetted, if it was jetted FAT/RICH then yes holes would help but if its jetted lean or its still stock then more than likely no HP gains. if you talking about the RAPTOR then you can test that theory by taking the airbox lid off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts