Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've searched but not found my question here.

The service manual says to hook a 20 lb weight to the chain and measure the length of 20 links. They show a nice picture of a cylindrical weight with a hook.

I went to my local friendly hardware store to see if they had a 20 lb weight. No. Then got to thinking I could rig a fish scale thru a set of pulleys (Rube Goldberg :) ) but they only had a digital for $30 and that seemed kinda overkill :) With the hassle of setting up the scale, I'd rather just hang the weight. Googled for cannon balls, etc :)

Maybe Beartooth sells the things?

I *know* people have a solution. What do you all do?

Thanks!
Brian

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I've always just used the method of pushing up in the middle of the lower section of chain while on the bike. it should not move up/down more than about an inch or less.

Oh, and if you can't adjust it any longer to take up slack, then it needs replacing.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
When I replace the chain, I also replace both sprockets(engine and rear) as old parts will quickly wear out new parts.

The cost may seem high, but you don't want to have the chain come off and break the engine cases if it balls up after coming apart (kinda ruins your day).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

There are two chain tests... slack that I think NCDave is talking about... I'm supposed to have between 35 and 40mm between the top of the chain when I lift it up and the bottom of chain when pushed down. But the one I need to do is to check chain wear (stretch). Hang the weight on the lower run, then measure various sections of 20 links along the top. No length of 20 links should be more than 32.3cm.

Oh, yeah. When the chain needs replacement, both sprockets will also be replaced.

So what I'm looking for is a 20lb weight, or some clever alternative. Guess I could find "stuff" to hang on the chain, but not found anything handy yet. If I had a 20lb weight.. but I don't exercise :)

Brian

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Maybe an eyebolt or hook in concrete or lead weighed to 20 lbs would work.

A machine eye bolt usually has 1/4- 20 or 5/16-18 threads, if washers and nuts are at the bottom(like in a sandwich), the washers would provide pull-out resistance.

A piece of PVC, say 3-4" with end caps, one drilled for the eye bolt and then filled with sand/concrete might work for a weight.

Just some thoughts..........

·
Registered
76 Posts
An old way of checking both chain and sprocket wear is to grip the chain between your forefinger and thumb and if you can pull the chain significantly away from the rear of the rear sprocket you need to get your billfold out. The possible outcome of making a chain do more mileage than it should merely for economy is no economy at all.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Thanks guys.

There are two chain tests... slack that I think NCDave is talking about... I'm supposed to have between 35 and 40mm between the top of the chain when I lift it up and the bottom of chain when pushed down. But the one I need to do is to check chain wear (stretch). Hang the weight on the lower run, then measure various sections of 20 links along the top. No length of 20 links should be more than 32.3cm.

Oh, yeah. When the chain needs replacement, both sprockets will also be replaced.

So what I'm looking for is a 20lb weight, or some clever alternative. Guess I could find "stuff" to hang on the chain, but not found anything handy yet. If I had a 20lb weight.. but I don't exercise :)

Brian
And there is your answer Brian. Walmart sells additional weight plates in the sporting goods department around here and they are pretty reasonable. The plates are cast iron and would be easy to rig them up for your purposes as they have a hole in the center. Check your local walmart and see if they have them there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I had though about weights, but googling only turned up complete sets. I guess I have the typical lack of finding things that defines me as a male of the species :) WallyWorld... I'll check it out!

Thanks again!
Brian

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Ask around at the skin diving shops or dive shops. They use weight belts to keep the divers submerged. I'd think you could buy individual weights and by drilling and tapping for a hook, you'd have what you needed.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Go to the grocery store and buy a 20 lb. sack of potatoes. Tie it to the chain with some cord and made your check. When your done with the test you can have baked potatoes or french fries for a while. :biggrin:

I would expect to hear some popping as the chain rolls over the rear sprocket teeth if it's stretched beyond service limits. Either that or I'd expect to see distorted sprocket teeth so I've never done this test on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As fast as I work, the exhausts will have them baked before I finish the job :)

Thanks guys. Hot on the trail for the weights. Was looking into picking up tonight, but the vet kept me for an hour and a half. It's always something.

Thanks again!
Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts