Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. i dont ride a bike. i know nothing about mechanics. I work for a company which is trying to develope better coatings for piston housings. To do this we got a a 1992 kawasaki KX125 and attached it to a computer. but we need to know the overall drive ratio to measure certain aspects of the engine performance. i can find a value for the 1989 model and one for the 2002 model. but not 1992. can anyone help?

Scubber

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Coatings

I sent you a longwinded PM...load, timing, fuel/air, RPM's, mileage, compression, heat, lots of factors...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as i said in the reply to ur PM to me, i only want the overall drive ratio. im quite sure the overall drive ratio isn't affected by heat and the weight of the driver.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Overall drive ratio

scubbersteve: The overall drive ratio is dependant upon both the front and rear sprockets and even the tire size on the rear. If you are truely considering piston coatings IT does depend upon gearing, tire size ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure...The reason for piston coatings is NORMALLY to make a piston run cooler (less friction)... heat being the enemy is caused by many factors including the gearing (loading of hte engine). you will get more heat (with the same bike, EXACTLY) if you add a heavier person. THere are many factors (which I did go through I my PM that create heat). I'll leave you to ask the GURU's, like Freakinout, and the crew...but slamming people on this site is a bad thing. I have a name, and it is not "DUDE", remember to be respectful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the drive ratio depends on heat now. i asked a simple question with a simple answer. the bike has no tyres. the bike has nobody sitting on it. it's not a bike. it's a 1992 kawasaki KX125 engine connected to a computer. the point of the exercise is to measure the temperature etc in the engine.

please be more respectful. if you dont know the answer, please dont keep telling me what you think i need to hear. all i want are some numbers.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

steve- i believe its been changed a couple of times on different year models
somewhere between 12/49(4.083) and 13/51 is close but don't know on that particular year model. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts