Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before this happened to me I would have laughed and thought it was an old cliche` line but I have realized that I should not try to keep up with my friends when they are driving ahead of me if I don't have the skill level to do it (which obviously I don't yet, hehe).

We were driving around this giant turn and my friend was speeding a little bit in his car (in front of me). Stupid me, I tried to keep up behind him on my bike, and without noticing it, I come literally within inches of hitting the sidewalk to the right of me as the turn continues and I am still accelerating. Luckily I did NOT hit the sidewalk and therefore did not crash or drop the bike :D I will never try and do that again though heh

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Well, you got part of the equation right: don't outride your abilities. Sometimes it takes a good scare to remind people of that. If you're lucky, you get the scare without the scar.

The question I have for the rest of it is this: where were you looking?

Were you looking through the corner, or at the sidewalk you nearly hit?

The bike will almost always go where you look. That's why you look through the turn to your exit point. It allows you to corner more effectively and take the right path to get there. If you start looking at the ditch, curb or sidewalk you're getting close to, you run the risk of hitting the very thing you were trying to avoid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I learned in the MSF course but for some reason I feel the need to look several feet in front of me as to avoid hitting any loose gravel or dirt or something that would cause me to slip. In this instance I was probably looking like 10 feet ahead of me.

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
That's what I learned in the MSF course but for some reason I feel the need to look several feet in front of me as to avoid hitting any loose gravel or dirt or something that would cause me to slip. In this instance I was probably looking like 10 feet ahead of me.
That is a problem then.
The further you look up the road,the more time you have to react and adjust your speed/road position.
If you are looking 200 yards up the road and see a patch of oil/gravel/dead dog, then it will still be a patch of oil/gravel/dead dog when you are ten feet from it. But with the extra time you have,you will have avoided it.
If it is a cager 200 yards ahead waiting to pull out from a side road,then you can plan,if he is only ten feet away when you notice him,then it is game over if he does not see you.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Target fixation can be painful, if not fatal, if you don't break the habit soon. It also wouldn't hurt if went in to the turn slower and powered on the way out. If you have to let off the throttle mid-turn you'll unload the rear suspension and the ride can get interesting.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
especially when she looks like wonder woman

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By a couple feet I mean quite a distance, but around turns I literally mean a couple feet - a little bit of gravel and you're screwed

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
By a couple feet I mean quite a distance, but around turns I literally mean a couple feet - a little bit of gravel and you're screwed
Are you sure about that?;) I think you'd be surprised at just how much crap you can run over and stay up in corners. The trick is don't stop riding the bike until you get off. I used to get all paranoid about running over stuff until I noticed that every time I ran over something the bike stopped acting weird as soon as I had crossed whatever it was that disrupted my good time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"The trick is don't stop riding the bike until you get off."

I actually found that to be a very, very good piece of advice and I understand what you mean by it.

"...bike stopped acting weird as soon as I had crossed whatever it was that disrupted my good time."

And I love the way you ended that sentence :d

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I find it has to be deliberate to look for through the corners. I'm still working on it. The moment I look at the curb during the turn, the turn flattens out and I start to straighten up.

Head up & turn your neck.

·
Elmer
281 Posts
Here's another part to a similar circumstance and everyone will have thier own response. If your riding with someone that pushes speed limits beyond what you consider prudent do you hang back a bit or risk the points. A few of my riding friends hold the speed limits. Some stay consistantly 5 over and still others consider 20 mph (+) over the limit their normal speed.

I'll simply drop back and maintain what I am legally comfortable with. They have the option to throttle back a bit or just meet at the destination. This is probably one of many reasons some like to ride alone. It is also a big reason why we appreciate those riding buddies that think and ride the way we do (whatever speed that may be).

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Here's another part to a similar circumstance and everyone will have thier own response. If your riding with someone that pushes speed limits beyond what you consider prudent do you hang back a bit or risk the points. A few of my riding friends hold the speed limits. Some stay consistantly 5 over and still others consider 20 mph (+) over the limit their normal speed.

I'll simply drop back and maintain what I am legally comfortable with. They have the option to throttle back a bit or just meet at the destination. This is probably one of many reasons some like to ride alone. It is also a big reason why we appreciate those riding buddies that think and ride the way we do (whatever speed that may be).
In the case of my sister and her husband, when I ride with them and their friends when I'm down that way, the pace is set by the slowest bike in the group. The route is set by the preferences of the least aggressive rider.

So, if my sister is riding her KZ200 instead of riding on the FJR with her husband, we all know ~60MPH is the top speed. Likewise, if one of their friends that isn't into the tight, fast turns is in the group, we're not going to be doing those more aggressive routes. Gas stops are planned around the vehicle with the smallest tank.

Usually, as the day goes on, the more laid back riders will peel off and call it a day, leaving those who really want to get into the curves. The KZ has no trouble keeping up with that, and the route is always planned to allow for that as the last leg of the trip.

Some groups will split into two or more sub groups based on riding preferences that will meet up at pre-determined locations. That's certainly OK.

We just prefer to stay together so we can be a bit more spontaneous. We don't have to pass up on the opportunity to see where some road goes because we had planned to meet with the rest of the group somewhere else.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I find it has to be deliberate to look for through the corners. I'm still working on it. The moment I look at the curb during the turn, the turn flattens out and I start to straighten up.

Head up & turn your neck.
This happens to me but I'm getting better!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts