Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minor deal...lights were out at home, no garage opener, parked on steep driveway...away she went when I backed down an unfamiliar slope.
(P.S. a 900 can be heavy if its is nearly turtled.)
Anyway no biggie except now I have 1/16 by 1 inch scratches in several chrome plated parts....mirror, clutch, muffler, engine guard windshield brackets.

I have to replace windshield plastic, but to be honest, you have to look to see scratches, except I KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!

Advice welcome.

·
Registered
533 Posts
several great options.... buffing compound... or better yet... get a really great custom paint job...for...$$$ and yours will be one of a kind.

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love it...glass is half to **** near full.

But my deal is scratches on the chrome stuff.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the scratches on the bike. I wouldn't worry a whole lot on the engine guard scratches, but you can definitely just replace your stock mirrors with nice Kuryakyn designs :cool: . From what I know, chrome scratches are difficult to get rid off and will be there permanently unless you have it re-chromed. Perhaps other members can chime on this...A windshield can be expensive, so if you can stand having those scratched there...hang on to it for awhile.

Give it a few days and you will feel better. :biggrin: And yes, the 900 can be very heavy once you start to go past the 60-50° angle.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Minor deal...lights were out at home, no garage opener, parked on steep driveway...away she went when I backed down an unfamiliar slope.
(P.S. a 900 can be heavy if its is nearly turtled.)
Anyway no biggie except now I have 1/16 by 1 inch scratches in several chrome plated parts....mirror, clutch, muffler, engine guard windshield brackets.

I have to replace windshield plastic, but to be honest, you have to look to see scratches, except I KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!

Advice welcome.
DON'T DROP YOUR BIKE!!!!:lol: :razz:

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
chrome is very hard, so buffing is not going to help much. It is no fun getting the first mark, but it is inevitable, it just shows the bike is being used. Think of it as "patina", adds character. To the bike and the rider.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
Unfortunately, you can't really repair chrome without getting the part re-chromed. Depending on how bad the scratches are in your windshield, you might be able to use a product called NOVUS (#2 or #3) to remove them ...or, at least, minimize them a little ...but, really anything more than swirls or very light scratches and NOVUS won't help much..

So, your choice is realistically to replace those pieces or live with them.

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
Check the Houston yellow pages, or check with your local dealer, for shops that will "polish" as well as cut windshields. I've always replaced windshields (Rifle mfg) when they were scratched enough to bother me. Now I've found a local guy who can work wonders assuming scratches aren't too deep. In fact, soon will have him cut couple inches off windshield on my newly purchased 08 Nomad.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
You will have to live with the scratches in the chrome, have then re-chromed, or replace the parts. If you decide to live with the marks you can keep them from rusting with good cleaning followed by a little clear coat, not on the pipes though.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
There are 3 kinds of bikers. 1- Those of us who have dropped our bike(s). 2- Those of us who haven't dropped their bike YET. 3- Those of us who LIE about having never dropped their bike(s). :biggrin:
DON'T DROP YOUR BIKE!!!!:lol: :razz:

·
Registered
681 Posts
There are 3 kinds of bikers. 1- Those of us who have dropped our bike(s). 2- Those of us who haven't dropped their bike YET. 3- Those of us who LIE about having never dropped their bike(s). :biggrin:
So far I'm #2 *knocks briskly on wood*. Although, I did come close once. My driveway angles before the street, was starting off, had it turned all the way to get going in the right direction, and when the front tire went down that angle, there she went. If it wasn't for my size, it would have been over. My left hand on the grip was about 10" from the ground when I stopped it from falling and muscled it back up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depending on just how deep the scratches are on the windshield all may not be lost. There are kits available that we use in the aviation industry to remove scratches that work wonders. Try to hook up with a mechanic at the local airport or look in the yellow pages and maybe you can get one. Generally you'll start with about 600 grit sandpaper and then work your way down from there. By the time your done it will look new. The most important thing to be careful about is to spread the area out so you won't get a "fisheye" in the scratched area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Droped my 900LT twice #2 forgot to put the peg down getting off could not hold her up. Two guys came running over & pulled her off me, so between me & the engine guard still looking good. #2 was stupid but #1 was to stupid to talk about, but I will say the only scratches are low on the engine guard & are very small. Just glad I have engine guards.

red

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dropped my 900LT twice #2 forgot to put the peg down getting off could not hold her up. Two guys came running over & pulled her off me, so between me & the engine guard still looking good. #2 was stupid but #1 was to stupid to talk about, but I will say the only scratches are low on the engine guard & are very small. Just glad I have engine guards.

red

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Memphis Fats windshield, and I'll just replace the plastic. I turtled it so much the windshield came off and went under the bike. Luckily that hardware is stainless and it buffed out OK after some fine emory paper and steel wool.
Thank goodness for the engine guard...best investment I ever made.

Oh...and did I tell you I'd be in the hospital with a concussion had I not had on my helmet. When I tried to save it, of course I went down too and man what a whack on my head on the driveway.

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Paint the mirrors black. Practice some break-falls, martial arts-style, to keep your head tucked. Get a new helmet now and hang the old one over the fireplace.
Got a bell hanging on that thing yet? Were you in on the Gremlin Bell exchange recently? If not, want one?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1 above....

Paint MIGHT be good after a good buffing, but chrome is not a "finish"... it's now part of the bike's character.

I've got a few chips and dings in the paint from rocks and where I've dropped wrenches and bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts