Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, he. I feel it would sound wrong if I called my ninja a "she" since I'm female.

Anyways, this morning like a moron, I dropped him on the right side while waiting for him to warm up. I was half asleep..

It wasn't a bad drop, but fuel leaked out of the gas cap while he was down. It took me about 15 minutes to get him back up by myself. And when he was up, I tried starting it up but it wouldn't. The lights all come on, the battery seems fine. The engine turns over, but it just won't start.

Ive already tried starting him with the kick stand up, clutch pulled in, etc. But nothing works! I feel like it could be something small, Ive read that maybe it won't start because gas leaked into the carbs or something.. I'm very frustrated. Please help!

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
The bike has a Tip Over sensor, it usually resets by turning the bike off and then back on.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My only other thought is that when the fuel ran to one side of the carb, it overfilled the lower carb bowl and the fuel ran down the intake boot instead of out the overflow tube, essentially flooding the engine (or one cylinder anyway). Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get to the spark plugs so you can check for moisture and run the starter with the spark plugs out.

Does the engine seem like it's trying to fire, or is it just turning over?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the engine definitely seems like its trying to fire. it sounds like it normally does, just no start. ):

if it is a flooded engine, how could i fix that? I'm such a newb..

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
There's only 3 ways that I'm familiar with, 2 of which I would not recommend.

1). Open the throttle all the way and crank the engine until it fires. This allows the maximum amount of air into the engine, and can clear a flood depending on how badly it's flooded and how badly the plugs are fouled. Not recommended, since it can overheat the starter.

2). Open up the air filter box, remove the element, and while cranking the engine, spray a SMALL amount of Ether (aerosol) into the air box. Ether will fire under almost any condition and start the cylinder to firing, and burn off the excess gas. Not recommended, because if you don't know what you're doing, you can blow the heads right off the engine.

3). Remove the tank, and remove the spark plugs. Spray brake cleaner on them to dry them off, and crank the engine over for 20-30 seconds to expel excess gas from the cylinders. Re-install plugs, and the bike SHOULD start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely try number 3 when I get home tonight after work.. Thanks so much for your help! This makes me feel a LITTLE better about the whole situation. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed you are in Plano. Weather is kinda rough between us (Waco area). I hope all is well up your way. (EDIT: This wasn't directed at the OP. Sorry)

As for input, I really can't help with the not starting thing, but taking 15 minutes to get him back up after he falls, I can offer some guidance. Well, a link. :) Go HERE. The dude shows the most effective way to get a bike upright after a fall.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, got home from work, got anxious and slightly impatient, so i tried the throttle method first. It worked, and i let the throttle go, and then it shut off. and now it won't start again.

Oh yeah and my exhaust spit out all this black gunk. I don't have the necessary tools to remove the gas tank nor do i even have the owner's manual (irresponsible seller). is the fact that it fired up for a second a shred of hope? or am i damaging my bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha i could have used this video this morning.. that laying myself down trick would have worked. but yeah, it took 15 minutes because im a 110 lb girl.. it sucks being weak

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try it again and ease off the throttle, if you didn't the first time. Is it carburated or FI? I am not familiar with the 250 (seems like that is what someone said it was). If it's carburated, then I'd go WOT, start it up and ease the throttle back. If it sounds like it's going to die, see if raising the throttle a hair keeps it running. I agree with a severe case of flooding, BUT it has been sitting for a few hours. If it's FI, then I'm lost. I can fix a Toyota MR2, but bikes are still pretty foreign to me. Sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
haha i could have used this video this morning.. that laying myself down trick would have worked. but yeah, it took 15 minutes because im a 110 lb girl.. it sucks being weak
But I'll bet your legs are strong enough to lift it. It's all about technique. I have had to practice it once. In my garage. With my month-old bike. I was a bit upset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha, enough said. a month old.. that's gotta hurt.

well, thanks for the advice! :) it is carburated, so i'm really really hoping i can start him up again tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i wouldn't recommend holding it wide open, but you definitely need to give it at least half throttle to start it back up. only crank it for 15-20 seconds max, then wait a minute and try again. in order to allow the starter to cool. thats the last thing you want to happen, to burn up the starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's back to normal now, after playing with the throttle while trying to start him up. Thanks everyone for your input! :D

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
congrats...carb'd bikes usually need a bit to sit and vent, esp if the plugs get wet and/or fuel gets dumped in the chamber...also, a float can get stuck..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since you didn't know about how to pick up a dropped bike, it might be helpful to take the time to read a lot of the 'sticky' threads on this site. Very helpful. Also, read some threads in the New Rider forum. You'll be amazed at the pointers you can pick up. I've been riding for over 3 years now, and I still learn new things here. Might save you some grief later on.

Good luck with the bike - and ride safe.

Maybe post your thoughts on the forum "What I learned today". (How to prevent dropping your bike). :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts