Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing cracks in my Metzlers already! I need to check my mileage, but I haven't had these but about three years. :(

Is that normal? She lives in the garage, but at work she's outside. I don't ride every day and I don't take long trips. I'm thinking they have 10k tops on them.

I'll try and post a pic this evening when I get home.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Check the date on the side of the tire. The date is part of the tires ID #. The year is the last 2 digits of the tire ID. I am definitly not an expert on this one but I have seen this discussed elsewhere (the darkside forum). The conclusion of these discussions is that tires have a use before they are no longer good period. I think I heard something along the lilnes of 10 years but I really don't remember. What was clear though was that very old tires (even just aged on a tire rack) are very bad business.

Any tire folks out there w/ better instructions to find were the data is at on the tire??? Sound out.

Barry

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Yea, I had heard that Sears was the worst of the offenders. You never can tell I suppose. Might argue for buying at the high volume dealer so you have a better chance of "fresh" supply. Might also argue against Deep discount tires if you do not verify the date.

Barry

·
Registered
466 Posts
do you or did you ever put the sidewall shinner stuff on them. I had a tire that went bad after about 3 yrs w\cracking because of that stuff. I was told that if you use it and then stop your tires will dry out causing cracks. There are other reasons dealing with the enviroment they sit in that can cause early drying of tires.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, only three years old (since they were installed). I'll need to check the date of the tire.

Also, yeah I put Armor All on them. I didn't put anything on them in the winter since I didn't wash the bike. She lives in the garage though. :confused:

Sucks! I won't be buying from that dealership anytime soon. The back tire looks fine though. So, I'm thinking the front tire is older than it seemed.

So no one's had Metzler issues before? I really liked this tire (other than this). Shelling out another $130 for a tire makes me kinda angry though, but riding season is here and there's no way she's going to sit in my garage.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Yeah, only three years old (since they were installed). I'll need to check the date of the tire.

Also, yeah I put Armor All on them. I didn't put anything on them in the winter since I didn't wash the bike. She lives in the garage though. :confused:

Sucks! I won't be buying from that dealership anytime soon. The back tire looks fine though. So, I'm thinking the front tire is older than it seemed.

So no one's had Metzler issues before? I really liked this tire (other than this). Shelling out another $130 for a tire makes me kinda angry though, but riding season is here and there's no way she's going to sit in my garage.
I forget where I heard it, but I swear I've heard that Armor All does more harm than good. Also, it could be that since it has sat a lot over the course of the last three years that that might have something to do with it as well.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I've been told that hair line cracks on on the thread is ok but not on the side walls.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not a tire guy either, buy I will tell you how my tires have worn for comparison,

I have a set of stock Dunlops on a four year old Suzuki with 9,000 miles on them. The tread is still about half and the sidewalls are like new.

The bike has been outside under cover the whole time. I never used any cleaners/conditioners on them.

Maybe using chemicals on the sidewalls is an issue with premature cracks in the sidewalls. If so this is good for all of us to know.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Putting my google-fu to it, I found this in a response from Michelin to a user about using Armor All on their tires...

--> Michelin's Response 02-Jul-2004 <--
We recommend using a soft brush and mild soap to clean tires. Tire dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol or silicones can accelerate the aging process and contribute to cracking.

Michelin does not endorse the use of after-market conditioners. The effects of such products are unknown as it would be impossible to test all of the products on the market today.

There's a number of other threads and comments that say "Don't do it" but this is the only manufacturer's response I've found so far.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, did the same Google search. Found lots of evidence that claims Armor All robs tires of their natural oils(?). Called the dealer, and they said the same thing.

They said it may just be surface cracking, but they'll look at her in the morning. So...I will NOT be using Armor All on my tires from now on, just in case.

Actually she doesn't sit that much. Maybe a month in December when we got all that snow here, but I try and ride her year-round. Weather has been super crazy here this year. It got down to 19F (odd for this part of Texas), and it's been up and down since.

Planning on an Austin ride this spring, so I need good tires. 8)

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
I'll never use Armor all again. Never have on a bike but now I won't for a car either!! Yikes, ya gotta watch the "make it pretty" urge sometimes.

Barry

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm seeing cracks in my Metzlers already! I need to check my mileage, but I haven't had these but about three years. :(

Is that normal? She lives in the garage, but at work she's outside. I don't ride every day and I don't take long trips. I'm thinking they have 10k tops on them.

I changed my stock Bridgestones in 2008, my bike's second season, because of cracks behind the treads (none on the sides)... I replaced them immediately with Dunlops, and after only one year and 13,000 miles, I found cracks again behind the treads! My dealer looked at them and didn't seem all that concerned. He said, "I wouldn't take them across the country but I wouldn't change them tomorrow either." He said a lot of tires develop cracks on the wall behind the treads but it doesn't necessarily mean the tire needs to be changed. I bought new Dunlops last month but I intend to put another few thousand miles on this set, checking them every week or so... BTW, it's only my front tire that's cracked. The back has no cracks at all.

windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've never had my tires over 1.5 seasons, I'd be hard pressed to tell you if thats normal. I guess it would depend on your general climate as well.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I've always used armor on all my tires and never had any issues with them. Those cracks usually appear on the thread and not on the sidewalls.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts

Where exactly are you seen cracks? Sidewall or thread?

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
I wish I could make a tire last three years... I eat up a tire a year or less, and at that I'm getting over 20k per tire.

sounds to me like you need new tires...

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Never been an issue for me either, they wear out before they have a chance to crack. Ride more! :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts