Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so a while back before i had bought my bike I saw a picture of a 2004 zx6r that had custom dual undertail exhaust. Has anyone ever seen this or heard of it or know where i can get more info about it? It looked reallllllly nice, but i cant find it anymore and i besides coming across that website that one time i have never heard of it or seen it. i was wondering if any of you guys might know something... Thanks :)
-Lizzy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can someone please explain this fascination with undertail exhaust systems? I just don't see any advantage after seeing all the tradeoffs. You lose a lot of your storage. The bike can actually be heavier due to all the necessary heat shielding. And as many of the 04 R1 owners are finding out, their seats are now built in "nut" roasters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the 04 r1s heat problem isnt from exhaust, its from the engine. they made the engine thinner and made the frame thinner and the way the body work is. it pumps heat out right at your legs. by the time the exhaust gets back to those mufflers it wont be very hot at all. Undertail exhaust is cool because it cleans up the look of the bike. I love under tail exhaust when done right. It especially looks great on bikes with single sided arms.
Kawa-bunga, i havent personally seen any systems for the 6r but a few years back before they got so popular a company called Black Widow was making under tail systems for a few bikes. I installed one on a tri daytona and it was very sweet but it was mucho dinero and i believe they are british. Ill keep an eye out.

matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The custom exhaust that i am talking about will not affect the storage. and there will be no roasting of the booty, like he said where you sit doesnt get hot b/c of an undertail exhaust, have you ever sat on a CBR 600rr? no heat and undertail.... so throw that out the window. And imo. it looks reallllly cool. the lines of my bike are sooo pretty the one i saw with the dual pipes just flows.... exactly what you said it cleans up the bike... very nice! anyway thanks matt... keep an eye out im still looking.. and yes its looking like a project like this might get pretty pricey. We will see...
-Lizzy

·
Registered
3 Posts
maybe I am wrong but I thought 6r was single exhaust? I have seen a undertail exhaust kit (single pipe) for kawasaki 6r's yet in my opinion it was lame..

if you find what you are looking for please post it ;)

I will find that picture for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not to start an argument and it's up to you what you do with your bike but as far as the heat issues I brought up....I quote:

"The exhaust routing and underseat muffler bake your right instep and butt, particularly if you're wearing jeans instead of leathers."

Excerpt taken from Cycle World, June 2004 issue, page 52, 2nd column 3rd paragraph.

There was another review that iterated the same sentiments that I've read but I don't have it in front of me right now. Some have speculated that the R1 doesn't have the same amount of heat shielding that the CBRs do. But the CBRs are constantly picked on for being too heavy.

Again, I can only go by what I've read from the press. And yes, you're right I hadn't personally sat on any bike with an undertail yet...nor do I ever expect to. Because to find out if heat is an issue, I have to actually ride the bike. And I know that I'm not willing to let anyone ride my ZX-10 so why would I expect someone to let me ride theirs. Plus I don't want to be obligated if they do say I can ride theirs without any strings attached. Too many things can go wrong that I don't want to be responsible for. And again, I don't want to feel that a person has something to hang over my head. "I let you ride mine so why don't you let me ride yours?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also not a big fan of the undertail exhaust, but I did see one on ebay. I think it was for a 2000 zx6, and by the way it did look Nice!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The functional purpose of under the seat exhaust systems is weight balancing the motorcycle and less wind drag.

Personally, I like em. If heat is a problem you can always replace your plastic for carbon fiber and it will help shield your bottom. If its real bad, you can always ad heat shielding material. After that everyone is a wimp and get over it if you like underseat exhausts. :roll:

·
Registered
191 Posts
1adam12, you are right about the wind drag but i dont think so on the weight balancing. you want the weight close to center and as low as possible. It might help balance front to rear weight bias if thats what you are meaning. Once i get the mandrel bender built im gonna try to make an undertail for my gpz. right now the exhaust is 4-1 and i dont have the ground clearance I would like since i lowered the front end 2".

Gp bikes run undertail exhaust just for the reason adam said, drag. If you look at the honda v5 bike the exhaust is a work of art.

this is my favorite

the reason honda did this (i believe)is to keep the exhaust equal length for pulse and backpressure reasons. they run the back two cyl under the tail and the front three under the right foot peg. the name of the game for purpose is to equalize backpressure and exhaust flow. keep the heat to make the exhaust flow faster. The reason for undertail on street bikes, looks and thats about it but most bikes look good with an undertail system done right...being the key word.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thats really a .50 caliber machine gun on the back of that bike!

ha ha

Yes - meant front and back weight being centered more to the bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That bike up there looks good. Just thought i'd comment on the looks. :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
shift1313 said:
1adam12, you are right about the wind drag but i dont think so on the weight balancing. you want the weight close to center and as low as possible. It might help balance front to rear weight bias if thats what you are meaning. Once i get the mandrel bender built im gonna try to make an undertail for my gpz. right now the exhaust is 4-1 and i dont have the ground clearance I would like since i lowered the front end 2".

Lol thats funny, thats "my old bike" that I wouldnt put it on.
Read my 1st post if you dont get it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea if i find that heatis a problem which i dont really think it should be... i could always easily solve that with carbon fiber pipes, or a custom undertail... like i said, a project like this may get pretty pricey. Pretty quickly... that pic is cool, but i saw a system on a blue bike like mine, and the pipes werent as big, it looked a little nicer... but we're getting the idea!! ;) and yes the zx6r comes with just one exhaust pipe... this project woudl turn it into two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
he compnay that sells that exhaust is here..

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=84368&cat=15426&page=1

i called and spoke to a rep since the exhaust is listed as a compitition exhaust and i was told remapping would be a good thing to do.. it is also on a 2 to 3 week backorder..

does anyone know the owner of the black bike in that pic.. i would liek to ask a few question on what he had to do if anything as far as mapping..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts