Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to betray my ignorance here. :)

Hubby took my 1500 Classic out for a ride yesterday. He really liked it, but mentioned that he thought it was a bit underpowered (not a lot of torque) at about 40-50 mph. (Of course, he has an FJR, so he's used to a different kind of ride.) Anyway, I was telling him that I could do some mods to improve the performance, and one of the things I mentioned was a hypercharger. Now he's asking me how simply changing the air cleaner can improve performance, and I don't know what to tell him. Exactly how does a hypercharger work and what other mods do you need to make in concert with it?

Thanks for letting a woman ask a dumb question. :oops:

Julie

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked!

i'd answer your question but since i am not a mechanical kind of guy or a joe wrench, i'll let the real technical folks answer for you BUT, cruisers are not sport bikes or touring bikes and are not made to burn the pavement up...no torque at 45 or 50???what gear was he in. I can pin my cheeks back (as much as a cruiser will) in that mph range in 2nd or 3rd gear if I really wanted to.

as you know cruisisng is a slower paced ride and the need for hyperspeed at the twist of the throttle isn't warranted.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I agree. :) He knows that, too, and he even said that he was probably comparing my bike too much to his, which is a different kind of animal.

But quite a few people here have put hyperchargers on their cruisers, and I'd really like to understand why and what the benefits are. If I can beef up my bike a bit, it would be good, since I ride with him all the time. :D

BTW, on my way to work I ride about 10 miles down a country road where the traffic usually goes about 65mph. Today, on the way to work, when I was at about 55mph, I opened the throttle all the way, and boy did that bike move! Maybe not as much as my husband's bike, but then I don't want to be pulling any wheelies, either. :) I bought a big cruiser because I want a bike that's powerful and comfortable on the highway. But we also do a lot of mountain riding, so if I can pull any more torque out of it, that would be a good thing.

Thanks, spok.

·
37,387 Posts
The hypercharger is an air intake device..duh..well anyway to utilize more air in, you'll also need to add fuel. Your bike is fuel injected, that usually means a power commander or similar type device, also with more air/fuel in, you'll need to help out the backend out to allow more air out...that'll be pipes.

I had a jet kit installed in my carbs, installed a K&N High flow filter (not quite as good as a hypercharge) and added pipes. I also had it dyno tune'd and to see the HP and Torque curves is impressive, I made a post here with the curves.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4666

I did get an increase in both HP and Torque but it isn't the percentage gain but rather when I get the gains. for torque, I get almost all my torque early in the cycle and it holds out for the full range thus making my acceleration quicker and it gives me greater throttle response.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, spok! That's a great explanation.

Sounds like this is going to be an expensive mod. :) But my bike has the stock exhaust on it, which I really don't like. I'm probably going to end up changing out the pipes next season, anyway.

·
37,387 Posts
I don't know how much a power commander costs or a hypercharger for that matter but I'd say the overall cost of my mods was well worth it. I think between pipes ( i installed them) the jet kit ( I paid to have that done) the K&N filter and the dynotuning I paid out $600 or so. Not too expensive, but well worth every penny...IMHO

·
Registered
219 Posts
My humble opinion here out of South Africa....
I will change the pipes first and then after a while the Air intake. The biggest difference I experienced was the pipes, then a slight improvement when I changed the Air intake (similar to a ForceWinder from SCP Performance) and minor improvements with a aftermarket Fuel injection (FI) adjustment module (Techlusion or Power Commander) and lastly a Dyno was purely for getting the optimum performance by changing the length of fuel supply to the motor by deciding where you want this extra power, from starting, mid range or top end.
Apart from this if you go for something like the ForceWinder you loose the cold start components of your bike, this means that you will have to use the choke (on FI motors this is actually a fast idle) to let it idle properly when it is cold, and I am not saying really cold – our temperature very seldom goes below 15 Deg C. I mean from a cold motor to a running temperature motor. Your Crank Case breather normally exhaust into the standard air filter, so with the after market air filter this exhaust nozzle normally is loose under the fuel tank and results into a unpleasant odor.

So in sort I would suggest to only change the pipes, unless you want to give your Husband a bit of a run for his money on the FJR – but only a bit :)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:)

Thanks, SA_Meanstreak. I've been wanting an excuse to justify getting new pipes. After having V&H Straightshots on my other bike, these stock pipes sound wimpy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One additional point I'd like to make is with regard to the Hypercharger itself.
On my Meanstreak it hangs out a long way and although I'm used to it now sitting on the bike never feels quite natural.
I'm intending to change it out for another filter that sits in closer to the engine.
Cheers
Chris

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Chris, I've been thinking about that. I sat on a Meanstreak at the dealer that had a Kuryakyn hypercharger. It really stuck out a lot.

I wonder how effective this Kuraykyn Hi-Five air cleaner would be (I don't know whether it's anywhere near equivalent to a hypercharger). I like the looks of it and it doesn't seem to stick out any farther than the stock air cleaner cover.

http://kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2832

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

we are all ignorant till we ask jukief :wink:

don't hesitate to ask anything i might learn something :lol:

do the mod - it makes the bike perform very well for its purpose!

(subliminal message)

thunder air,thunder air,thunder air :twisted:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all the input.

I guess I won't know just how my bike lives up to my expectations until I get a chance to ride it more. Why does it have to be winter? Ugh. If it's as nice tomorrow as it was today, I might take her out for an hour-long noontime ride and get a feel for how she performs under different road conditions and speeds. The only thing I'm really concerned about is having enough acceleration when I need it. I enjoy cruising, too, and am not concerned about going too fast (well, within reason). :)

Julie

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

truthfully the only place i see the power benefit is on the big road
it helps to overtake the big trucks with authority and more importantly
quickley-not too many of my buds drag race their fat front tired slugs :lol:
but the ponies are in there if you decide to let them loose :wink:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
jukief said:
Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all the input.

I guess I won't know just how my bike lives up to my expectations until I get a chance to ride it more. Why does it have to be winter? Ugh. If it's as nice tomorrow as it was today, I might take her out for an hour-long noontime ride and get a feel for how she performs under different road conditions and speeds. The only thing I'm really concerned about is having enough acceleration when I need it. I enjoy cruising, too, and am not concerned about going too fast (well, within reason). :)

Julie

I think you answered this yourself.

Getting to know your bike will help you know when to accelerate and for how long. As with any ride...be it car...truck...motorcycle...we have to get to know their power and limitations and once we know that then we can drive them accordingly.

That being said of course does not mean you should not "personalize" your bike to your tastes....as already mentioned. For the money....I would change out the pipes for aftermarkets and add a K&N air filter and stop there until you have time to ride and get to know how it handles then. If you want to go farther....then decide on your next investment.

In the meantime.....GO FOR THAT NOON RIDE!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My 2 cents:
If you want performance then try a 2-1 pipe.
Then as far as the intakes go- the stock steup takes in air on the left then carries it over through a cross-over tube to the right. With an aftermarket filter this remains the same. With the hypercharger/thunder/forcewinder the air comes in on the right. The left side pan and some smog stuff are eliminated along with a couple soledoids that help with cold starts. The aftermarket kits allow for more direct/efficient flow of air into the motor hance more power.

And as they said if you add air you need to add fuel: cobra tfi or powercommander.

Overall you're looking at anywhere from $500 to well over $1000 to do this. Start with pipes and go from there.

Phatboy

btw an American's 2 cents is worth more than a canadian's 2 cents =P

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
$0.02

ok julie, you know i have to chime in here as well. like you have already planned, do the pipes first, obviously when you want to. i have read on quite a few posts that V&H pipes are generally the best at adding power. which is good, since you are already familiar with them and probably happy with them. from there it is your call. you may be able to add a K&N filter without retuning the bike, but then again, by not retuning it, you will not see full power gain. if you really want the extra power, but the cost is a little overwhelming, do it a little at a time. once the pipes are on, keep your eyes open for the air kit and tuning module that you want to go with. once you attain both of them, then you can install them. personally, i like the dynojet PCM III power commander and it is something that any person with some mechanical experience can handle installing. the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the tank, the rest is simple. for the intake, i would recommend the thunder as the power is supposed to be a little better than the kuryakyn and it is supposed to be less intrusive on your right leg. that is also a project that can be handled by the normal person with some experience. i found the hardest part being taking my dremel tool to my brand new bike ! when you install the kit, it is necessary to remove the stock crossover air pipe. unless you feel like removing the throttle bodies, it must be cut. other than that, it is a pretty simple bolt-on installation. ok, i am done rambling, hope i have given you another perspective.

david

oh yeah, i bought my PCM and hypercharger off ebay at a considerable discount. i bought them both brand new through a powersports dealer on there. it is an excellent place to keep your eyes on.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice, David. I probably won't be thinking about this until next season, so I'm going to save this thread so I can come back to it when I get ready to start buying parts. I really appreciate the time everyone took to respond to my question.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts